From: EUMETSAT User Helpdesk <OPS@...>
To: geojohnt@... <geojohnt@...>
Sent: Wed, 30 Nov 2022 12:41
Subject: EUMHD-7805 MTG and EUMETCast

Dear John Tellick,

Thank you for reaching out to us about this matter.

EUMETCast-Europe will stay the same in the foreseeable future, with only the planned evolutions on the transponder configurations on prime and backup satellites. You can read more about it here: https://eumetsatspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/DSEC/pages/1827045377/EUMETCast+Europe+Future+Transponder+Evolution+Updated

On the other hand, the data format of the MTG-FCI data will be completely different than the current MSG-SEVIRI data, in terms of file format, compression, filenames, etc. The FCI test data can be used for assessment and gaining familiarity. More information can be found here: https://www.eumetsat.int/mtg-test-data

As can be expected, the existing MSG processing/visualization software wouldn't handle the MTG data. However, some software packages, like the mentioned PyTroll is known to be ready for MTG-FCI data. Some other manufacturers are also updating their software for the next generation of EUMETSAT satellites. There is a list of manufacturers available in our website: https://www.eumetsat.int/equipment-manufacturers

The PyTroll software is supposed to be working also on Windows operating system. The details and the documentation can be found at https://www.eumetsat.int/software and http://pytroll.github.io/

Best regards,

Clara Ramos
EUMETSAT User Service Helpdesk