Eumetcast and Software Defined Radio

Hugo

Hi,

For some time now I wonder if it could be possible to receive and decode the Eumetcast data stream with software defined radio.
I know it is possible for DVB-S2 broadcast television, but I never found anything on the internet  about IP over DVB signals.
If this is possible than there is a lot more hardware available for receiving Eumetcast streams....

Grts,

Hugo

Ernst Lobsiger

Hugo,

I think a basic question would be whether such a solution can cope at all with the data rates of an EUMETCast transponder.

Hugo,

the second question is the LDPC (HW) error correction. I really doubt you can setup something fast enough in software.

Hugo

Ernst,

I've got really no idea if this is possible in software but dbv-s2 signals also have some kind of error correction and this is done in software.
Some examples of what is possible : https://www.rtl-sdr.com/tag/dvb-s2/
Looks to me that what is shown is more complicated than IP over DVB-S2 ...

Reagrds,
Hugo

Hugo

Philip Robinson

Hi all
I have finally plunged for a tbs6903 pcie card https://www.amazon.co.uk/tbs6903-Satellite-S2-PCIe-tbs6983-Professional-tbs6903-Professional-DVB-S2-Dual/dp/B01DKJBA6Aand us it  with my AyeckaSR1 with a splitter https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077DW5GVT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ( recommended by David) as i have an excellent signal -27.0dBm. This seems to the most reliable and trusted way from the info ive received on here . There is just one left on Amazon UK. Unless i read comments  against this then its time to spend some money.
thx
regards
Philip

I've got really no idea if this is possible in software but dbv-s2 signals also have some kind of error correction and this is done in software.
Some examples of what is possible : https://www.rtl-sdr.com/tag/dvb-s2/
Looks to me that what is shown is more complicated than IP over DVB-S2 ...

Reagrds,
Hugo

On 08/01/2021 14:33, Hugo wrote:
Something else ...
https://www.rtl-sdr.com/building-a-low-cost-goes-weather-satellite-receiver-with-an-rtl-sdr/ <https://www.rtl-sdr.com/building-a-low-cost-goes-weather-satellite-receiver-with-an-rtl-sdr/>  :)
grts,
Hugo
But this is low data rate stuff, and fixed MODCOD.

Hugo

David,

I'm aware of that , but the point is that with a very cheap RTL-SDR he is able to receive and decode some kind of data protocol (IP over DVB-S2 ? ) with a Raspberry-pi.
The bandwidth will be not as high as for Eumetcast but I wonder what is possible with the latest SDR hardware ...

grts,

Hugo

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

On 08/01/2021 15:18, Hugo wrote:
David,
I'm aware of that , but the point is that with a very cheap RTL-SDR he is able to receive and decode some kind of data protocol (IP over DVB-S2 ? ) with a Raspberry-pi.
The bandwidth will be not as high as for Eumetcast but I wonder what is possible with the latest SDR hardware ...
grts,
Hugo
An interesting experiment, but I share Ernst's doubts!

Prove me wrong!