Dish elevation lever.

geojohnt@...

Hello All,

Some time ago a clever user designed/constructed an add on variable length clamped 'lever' or prop at the back of the dish to minutely alter the dish elevation.
It consisted of two lengths of round metal rods with screw threading on one of their ends which screwed into the end of a 'piece of metal' with a gap in the middle so as you turned this 'joiner' it altered the length of the rods +/- and thus pushed up or pulled down the elevation of the dish minutely and rigidly.

My 1 m dish has developed a bit of slack in its elevation and needs now to be 'propped up' with a 'bracket.'
Being able to adjust this prop's length slowly with a screw system by hand would allow extremely accurate elevation.

Any ideas, please?

Regards,
John Tellick.

Ernst Lobsiger

Hello John

I designed such a thing for the Triax TD100 that has a very poor elevation control.
Arne van Belle redesigned it for an easy homebrew construction. Maybe that helps.

https://groups.io/g/MSG-1/message/26874

Ernst

geojohnt@...

Hello Ernst,

Sorry for the delay in responding.
Thanks for the post.

Ah, the dreaded Triax dish mount.
Totally impossible to secure the dish to the post without some dish movement remaining owing to the crazy design.
OK for satellite TV perhaps but not for the alignment accuracy we require for EUMETCast.

Triax told me they had not had any complaints about difficulty in aligning the dish accurately from users and were not going to change the design.
The 'semi circular' dish clamp - clamping onto a 'rounded bracket' back plate allows for azimuth movement and it is impossible to clamp elevation and azimuth separately whilst aligning the dish.

I seem to remember Arne had made a device but I'm not sure I've seen this one before.

Simple and looks very effective.