Topics

Dish alignment - formally Re: [MSG-1] Gaps in AVHRR images yesterday.

geojohnt@...

Jan,

I seem to remember you said in the past that you were not sure about a tree, or was it part of a roof 'in the way?'
We will soon be coming up to Sun, satellite, dish co-linearity in October so you will have several days to see if anything is 'shadowing' your dish. 
In the meantime you can find out the Eutelsat 10 A solar crossing time for your location from David's WXtrack which will give you an idea of any current or future potential shadowing as the Sun gets lower towards co-linearity.

And have you tried www.dishpointer.com (recommended by EUMETSAT) which will show what is 'ahead of your dish' locally.

Oh, and skew is very important since there is (also) a V channel transmitting at 11.623 GHz which needs to be nulled out with accurate skew adjustment.

Regards,
John.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

-----Original Message-----
To: MSG-1@groups.io <MSG-1@groups.io>
Sent: Thu, 24 Sep 2020 11:49
Subject: Re: [MSG-1] Gaps in AVHRR images yesterday.

Hi John.

I know I should be getting more DB’s
I adjust the dish Manually as I don’t have a Dish Finder.

Using my mobile with Remote Desktop I adjust the dish to get the best signal.

I purchased a Inverto Black Ultra LNB a month and I found that I got 1db or so less signal than with my old Technomate T2 LNB

Cheers

Jan

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 24 September 2020 10:35
To: MSG-1@groups.io

Hello Cornish Man,

Well if you are in Cornwall and using a 110 cm dish, you've got problems.
But then I think we have discussed this in the past?

I'm using a 1 m dish with an Inverto Black Ultra LNB in SW London and at the moment 09:25 UTC with clear skies am getting 13.1 dB SNR with an SR1.

You are well within the maximum signal contour so should be getting much better SNR.

Regards,
John.

_._,_._,_

Cornish Man

Hi John

I moved the dish out of the path of the tree and mounted it higher.

And used dishpointer to align it first, then move it till I get a stronger signal as well as the skew

I will have to take the dish down soon as the council is putting a new roof up and the dish will be in the way of the scaffolding  

Jan

Sent: 24 September 2020 13:03
Subject: Dish alignment - formally Re: [MSG-1] Gaps in AVHRR images yesterday.

Jan,

I seem to remember you said in the past that you were not sure about a tree, or was it part of a roof 'in the way?'

We will soon be coming up to Sun, satellite, dish co-linearity in October so you will have several days to see if anything is 'shadowing' your dish. 

In the meantime you can find out the Eutelsat 10 A solar crossing time for your location from David's WXtrack which will give you an idea of any current or future potential shadowing as the Sun gets lower towards co-linearity.

And have you tried www.dishpointer.com (recommended by EUMETSAT) which will show what is 'ahead of your dish' locally.

Oh, and skew is very important since there is (also) a V channel transmitting at 11.623 GHz which needs to be nulled out with accurate skew adjustment.

Regards,

John.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

-----Original Message-----
To: MSG-1@groups.io <MSG-1@groups.io>
Sent: Thu, 24 Sep 2020 11:49

Hi John.

I know I should be getting more DB’s

I adjust the dish Manually as I don’t have a Dish Finder.

Using my mobile with Remote Desktop I adjust the dish to get the best signal.

I purchased a Inverto Black Ultra LNB a month and I found that I got 1db or so less signal than with my old Technomate T2 LNB

Cheers

Jan

Sent: 24 September 2020 10:35

Hello Cornish Man,

Well if you are in Cornwall and using a 110 cm dish, you've got problems.

But then I think we have discussed this in the past?

I'm using a 1 m dish with an Inverto Black Ultra LNB in SW London and at the moment 09:25 UTC with clear skies am getting 13.1 dB SNR with an SR1.

You are well within the maximum signal contour so should be getting much better SNR.

Regards,

John.