Topics

Disabling the "Smart Card" service - have you needed to do this?

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

Folks,

One thing that both Arne van Belle and I have observed is that the
PC with the Tellique software gradually runs out of memory, and it
seems to be the process scardsvr.exe which is leaking memory. We
have both set the "Smart Card" service to Startup = Disabled to fix
this. I am running Windows 2000 Server, SP3.

Is there anyone else who has needed to do this? I ask because this
service will be needed for the USB eToken to work.....

Thanks,
David

Guy Martin <agm@...>

I disabled this service, not because I had problems but because I see no point in wasting memory on services I don't need. Having said that my Tellique software has worked perfectly since installation, longest time on continuous is 18 hrs.

Cheers, Guy

One thing that both Arne van Belle and I have observed is that the
PC with the Tellique software gradually runs out of memory, and it
seems to be the process scardsvr.exe which is leaking memory. We
have both set the "Smart Card" service to Startup = Disabled to fix
this. I am running Windows 2000 Server, SP3.

Is there anyone else who has needed to do this? I ask because this
service will be needed for the USB eToken to work.....

Thanks,
David

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

----------

James Brown <james@...>

In message <bji3mm+gk9l@eGroups.com>, David Taylor <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk> writes
Folks,

One thing that both Arne van Belle and I have observed is that the
PC with the Tellique software gradually runs out of memory, and it
seems to be the process scardsvr.exe which is leaking memory. We
have both set the "Smart Card" service to Startup = Disabled to fix
this. I am running Windows 2000 Server, SP3.

Is there anyone else who has needed to do this? I ask because this
service will be needed for the USB eToken to work.....

Thanks,
David
David, I am running Windows XP and can't find under the processes running list any reference to scardsvr.exe . Is this purely a Windows 2000 issue I wonder, or does the exe have a different name?

James
--
James Brown

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

David, I am running Windows XP and can't find under the processes
running list any reference to scardsvr.exe . Is this purely a
Windows
2000 issue I wonder, or does the exe have a different name?
I don't know, James. Perhaps Windows 2000 incorrectly starts it,
when it's not needed?

Luca Bertagnolio <lucaberta@...>

I too am running Win2000, SP4 Professional in my case, and the Smart
Card service is running without any particular issue on my P3 850
which runs 24/7 both Tellique and WXtoImg for APT reception. I have
never noticed any slowdown, and the machine is rebooted only if Bill
Gates' engineers force me to do it!

David, you might try to see if RAM2Free solves this issue for you, it
helps me quite a bit with my work laptop which has a small amount of
RAM:

http://www.griffithdatasystems.com/products/ram2free.htm

Let me know if this small utility is helpful to you.

Bye, Luca

--- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "David Taylor" <david-taylor@b...>

In message <bjiapi+ium3@eGroups.com>, David Taylor <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk> writes
David, I am running Windows XP and can't find under the processes
running list any reference to scardsvr.exe . Is this purely a
Windows
2000 issue I wonder, or does the exe have a different name?
I don't know, James. Perhaps Windows 2000 incorrectly starts it,
when it's not needed?

If you type in scardsvr.exe into a Google search it appears to be a Windows 2000 prog to do with smartcard readers - unless you have the version generated by Scardsvr32.exe in your system32 directory which is a 'worm'.

I would be concerned if we ultimately needed that for the USB dongle as it doesn't appear to be an XP prog.

Cheers,

James
--
James Brown

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

David, you might try to see if RAM2Free solves this issue for you,
it
helps me quite a bit with my work laptop which has a small amount
of
RAM:

http://www.griffithdatasystems.com/products/ram2free.htm

Let me know if this small utility is helpful to you.

Bye, Luca
Thanks, Luca. I actually have SP3, not SP4, and Server rather than
Professional, so there are differences. Thanks for the pointer to
Ram2Free, but we are talking gross memory leaks here, using up all
the memory, so I don't think it will help in this case.

a_van_belle

Hello David,

We might be lucky, even though I disabled the scard service, my USB
Compact flash reader and other USB devices still work perfectly.
According to Microsoft a smart card is:
"An integrated circuit card (ICC) owned by an individual or a group
whose information must be protected according to specific ownership
assignments. It provides its own physical access control; without the
smart card subsystem placing additional access control on the smart
card. A smart card is a plastic card that contains an integrated
circuit that is compatible with ISO 7816."

Smartcards are used in Digital TV satellite receivers and in modern
access-control / banking systems.
These are plastic Creditcards with a goldplated patch on one side.
Mostly interfaced through the serial port, some use USB ports with
additional drivers.

This makes me wonder why this service was installed on my W2K Pro SP3
at first. But I do realise now that this particular machine is
equipped with a Infra-Red (IrDa) interface, W2K might have mistakenly
seen this as a smartcard interface and was continuously searching for
inserted cards.
I did check on other W2K pro Machines and found out that this
services is normally not installed.

The problem might be still unsolved in XP too, see:
http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/microsoft/various/smartcard/200
3-q1/0251.html

Greetings,
Arne van Belle

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

We might be lucky, even though I disabled the scard service, my
USB
Compact flash reader and other USB devices still work perfectly.
According to Eumetsat (Nick C), we will need the service running.
We will soon find out, though! However, the one thing I found
suggested that if an eToken is actually present, the memory leak
doesn't occur. I guess this is what trials are all about!