Topics

Defunct Groups

Ian Deans

Re the recent mails with regard to a number of yahoo groups. my guess is that the groups in question ( with the exception of the old MSG-1 Yahoo group ) have probably not been used for many months if not years and in my opinion should be discontinued along with the old MSG-1 group.

The occasional mails that might be posted under these groups, could be posted on the MSG-1 io group and that is probably being done at the moment anyway.

Douglas Deans

On 16/10/2019 19:39, Ian Deans via Groups.Io wrote:
Re the recent mails with regard to a number of yahoo groups. my guess is that the groups in question ( with the exception of the old MSG-1 Yahoo group ) have probably not been used for many months if not years and in my opinion should be discontinued along with the old MSG-1 group.
The occasional mails that might be posted under these groups, could be posted on the MSG-1 io group and that is probably being done at the moment anyway.

I agree but I find now that I get a much better response to satellite issues and images posting on twitter than I do with any of the groups. World wide audience and speed and simplicity seem to be the reason.
However I do accept there are a few limitations and posting my weekly weather satellite report might just break the character number requirement !
I see dozens of Meteor images and technical conversations on twitter every day and I guess if I followed the right people I could do the same with many other datas. The point is you decide your area of interest.

David J Taylor

Re the recent mails with regard to a number of yahoo groups. my guess is
that the groups in question ( with the exception of the old MSG-1 Yahoo
group ) have probably not been used for many months if not years and in
my opinion should be discontinued along with the old MSG-1 group.

The occasional mails that might be posted under these groups, could be
posted on the MSG-1 io group and that is probably being done at the
moment anyway.

============================

Yes, those old groups haven't been used for some time, although a few folk seem to have crept out of the woodwork! I anticipate that Yahoo will close groups entirely, and they're deleting all of the non-email content by the end of the year as you may know, so effectively that was my final message to those obsolete groups. I'll simply let Yahoo delete them as and when.

geojohnt@...

Ian,

I agree.
Actually, I'd forgotten about 'all these other' groups which we used to post on.
MSG-1 seems to have become a bit of a 'cover all' - apart from GEO-Subs for weather satellite related information.

++++++++++++++

In a message dated 16/10/2019 19:39:49 GMT Standard Time, iandeans142@... writes:

Re the recent mails with regard to a number of yahoo groups. my guess is
that the groups in question ( with the exception of the old MSG-1 Yahoo
group ) have probably not been used for many months if not years and in
my opinion should be discontinued along with the old MSG-1 group.

The occasional mails that might be posted under these groups, could be
posted on the MSG-1 io group and that is probably being done at the
moment anyway.

geojohnt@...

Douglas,

Interesting.
But does Twitter have 'groups?'
I don't want to be inundated with tweets regarding matters I have no interest in/on.

It seems 'everyone in the world' tweets (except me).

Oh, and is it accessible via computer?
I really don't want to have to read lines of comments via my (even large screen) mobile phone.

+++++++++++++++++++

In a message dated 16/10/2019 20:08:23 GMT Standard Time, dsdeans@... writes:

[...]

====================================

John,

Twitter is far, far less intrusive than Facebook.

The way I use Twitter, there are no "groups" as such. You "follow" (get posts from) the people /you/ decide to follow. No-one else. However, there are some "promoted" posts where folk have paid to send that post to folk who have particular interests (presumably gathered by Twitter). In general, the S/N is very good.

You don't have to post anything, you can simple listen. If you do post something, only your followers will see that post, unless someone has a trigger based on a particular word (e.g. METEOSAT). You can tag your post with that keyword if you wish (e.g. #amsat #brexit).

Tweets are limited to 280 characters, so the text won't run over your screen. You can get Twitter to the phone, tablet, Windows PC, and (I guess) the Mac. They all link to the same account.

@eumetsat and @eumetsat_users are there, and you'll find the service announcements there as well. You can look without even joining Twitter (I think):

https://twitter.com/eumetsat_users
https://twitter.com/eumetsat
https://twitter.com/gm8arv

I post on more than just weather satellite reception, and retweet some of the EUMETSAT_USERS posts which will be of interest to folk on this group (e.g. solar outages, rapid-scan holidays). I hope that if folk don't want this they'll tell me!