Topics

Channel 5

Roger Mawhinney <roger@...>

Channel 5 is showing some amazing smooth swirls / clouds to day. Can
someone explain in simple terms what I am seeing?
Roger

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

--- In MSG-1@..., "Roger Mawhinney" <roger@m...> wrote:
Channel 5 is showing some amazing smooth swirls / clouds to day.
Can someone explain in simple terms what I am seeing?
Roger
Wasn't that explained in a relatively recent RIG Journal by Peter
Wakelin? Issue 69, June 2002.

[Note for MSG Data Manager users, now that the gain has been turned
up on the WV images, you will get better-looking images if you turn
off the "Calibrate thermal" setting for channels 5 and 6, unless you
need the calibration, that is! I will most likely make that the new
default.]

Roger Mawhinney <roger@...>

David,
Not all of us subscribe to RIG and whilst your response may well be that I
should, fair enough, but your response didn't answer my question.
Thanks anyway

|------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
|---------------------~--> Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits
|---------------------------------------------------------------
|------~->

|To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
|

|Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
|http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

--- In MSG-1@..., "Roger Mawhinney" <roger@m...> wrote:
David,
Not all of us subscribe to RIG and whilst your response may well
be that I should, fair enough, but your response didn't answer my
question.
Thanks anyway
Roger
Roger, sorry, but I am not a meteorologist, and I did think that you
would have the RIG Journals to hand. Indeed, it _is_ worth joining
RIG just for the Journal (or to buy an RX-2), but the current access
to MSG-1 data by amateurs has been made possible by negotiations by
RIG Officers, so they deserve your support as well!

A quick search on Google gave:

http://ga-mac.uncc.edu/faculty/marshall/Andrew's%20AVHRR/pg6

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/Boise/satellite/info/basic_satellite_imagery_
tutorial.htm

http://www.impactweather.com/demo2/sattutor.html

http://www.allmetsat.com/en/interpretation.html

http://www.niwa.co.nz/services/sat/gms

http://www.comet.ucar.edu/class/satmet/common/html/website_index/kidd
er/wv_3.html

Beware the wrapped URLs.

Roger Mawhinney <roger@...>

Thank you David
If your meteorology skills were as good as your programming, then we
probably wouldn't need the Met Office :-)

I used to be a RIG member and I do have a RX-2 but I felt that the RIG
subscription was no longer economically beneficial to me. I'm pursuing a
strictly amateur hobby on a limited budget and trying to learn as I go.
Whilst I am not able to contribute to the technical discussions on MSG, etc,
any advice that increases my personal knowledge in satellite technology,
remote imaging, space, meteorology, auroras, etc is very welcome.
Regards, Roger

PS: Anyone see the aurora last night - clearly visible in N. Ireland.

Douglas Deans <douglas@...>

If your meteorology skills were as good as your programming, then we
probably wouldn't need the Met Office :-)

I used to be a RIG member and I do have a RX-2 but I felt that the RIG
subscription was no longer economically beneficial to me. I'm pursuing a
strictly amateur hobby on a limited budget and trying to learn as I go.
Whilst I am not able to contribute to the technical discussions on MSG,
etc,
any advice that increases my personal knowledge in satellite technology,
remote imaging, space, meteorology, auroras, etc is very welcome.
Regards, Roger

PS: Anyone see the aurora last night - clearly visible in N. Ireland.
Yes, excellent here in Dunblane. Had to wait for cloud clearing about
22.00 clock but knew it was going to thanks to MSG and GSS4 (keeps mail on
topic !)
Last night's X10 flare's CME struck us about 17.00 and started another
'severe' geomagnetic storm. Magnetic field has turned south so looks like
more auroras tonight. All 'data' sites are virtually unusable at the
moment due to traffic so difficult to get up to date info.
Fingers crossed for clear skies.

pergola

Hi folks,
does anyone know if SEVIRI data calibration is already operational ?
I mean, did EUMETSAT provide the operational calibration coefficient for all the 12 SEVIRI bands (VIS, WV, IR)? If yes, could you please indicate me where can I find such information?
Thanks in advance

Sincerely,
Nicola

Nicola Pergola

> If your meteorology skills were as good as your programming, then we
> probably wouldn't need the Met Office :-)
>
> I used to be a RIG member and I do have a RX-2 but I felt that the RIG
> subscription was no longer economically beneficial to me. I'm pursuing a
> strictly amateur hobby on a limited budget and trying to learn as I go.
> Whilst I am not able to contribute to the technical discussions on MSG,
etc,
> any advice that increases my personal knowledge in satellite technology,
> remote imaging, space, meteorology, auroras, etc is very welcome.
> Regards, Roger
>
> PS: Anyone see the aurora last night - clearly visible in N. Ireland.

Yes, excellent here in Dunblane. Had to wait for cloud clearing about
22.00 clock but knew it was going to thanks to MSG and GSS4 (keeps mail on
topic !)
Last night's X10 flare's CME struck us about 17.00 and started another
'severe' geomagnetic storm. Magnetic field has turned south so looks like
more auroras tonight. All 'data' sites are virtually unusable at the
moment due to traffic so difficult to get up to date info.
Fingers crossed for clear skies.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

--- In MSG-1@..., "pergola" <pergola@i...> wrote:
Hi folks,
does anyone know if SEVIRI data calibration is already
operational ?

Yes, it is.

I mean, did EUMETSAT provide the operational calibration
coefficient for all the 12 SEVIRI bands (VIS, WV, IR)? If yes, could
you please indicate me where can I find such information?
Thanks in advance

Sincerely,
Nicola
The count to radiance value conversion coefficients are in the
prolog header data. The radiance to temperature conversion is at:

/en/area4/msg/dataservices/brightness_to_temperature.html

on Eumetsat's Web site. My MSG Data Manager does all the
calculations for you, if you wish, and outputs temperature
calibrated images.