AVHRR images in DWDSAT data — continued need?

Holl Gerrit

Hello,

as part of EUMETCast, the German Weather Service (DWD) distributes some weather data in the DWDSAT Service [1]. This service includes weather maps, meteograms, and text forecasts, among other things. It also includes AVHRR single-channel images and a SEVIRI HRV day/night composite for three areas over Europe, Central Europe, and Germany, such as the attached example over Central Europe.

At DWD we are updating our satellite processing software, including the software used to produce the PNG images from AVHRR and distributed via DWDSAT. I would like to know if there is a continued need for those images, and if it would be a problem to stop their broadcast in DWDSAT. EUMETCAST users already have access to AVHRR data as part of EARS, and I am not sure what the added value of the AVHRR images in DWDSAT would be. This broadcast was started a long time ago under my predecessor. Users needing PNG can quite easily produce single-channel images themselves using open-source software such as Pytroll[2]/Satpy[3] (which is the software we are transitioning to ourselves for AVHRR processing), and the SEVIRI VIS/HRV combination is not too hard to set up either (I think we're already producing this with Satpy).

Is anyone still using AVHRR data from DWDSAT? If yes, is there a continued need? What is the added value or advantage compared to data available in EARS?

best regards,
Gerrit Holl,
German Weather Service, Remote Sensing Application Development Division.

P.S. I saw references to a dedicated group for DWDSAT users, but I could not find a corresponding group after the migration to groups.io; I apologise if I missed it and if this is the wrong forum for this query.

[1] https://navigator.eumetsat.int/product/EO:EUM:DAT:MODEL:DWDSAT
[2] http://pytroll.github.io/
[3] https://satpy.readthedocs.io/en/stable/
[4] https://groups.io/g/MSG-1/message/3289

--
Gerrit Holl
Deutscher Wetterdienst, division FE23

Daniele Guardigli

Hello,

I'm almost new to this...where can i get ddwdsat data?

Il Ven 18 Dic 2020, 12:40 Holl Gerrit <gerrit.holl@...> ha scritto:
[...]

rnosborne@...

Hello,
I have used the DWDSAT service for several years and can state that I have made little or no use of the AVHRR or SEVERI images.
I produce these images directly from the appropriate raw EUMETCast data.

I hope that this information is useful.

Regards,

Richard Osborne

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

On 18/12/2020 11:45, Daniele Guardigli wrote:
Hello,
I'm almost new to this...where can i get ddwdsat data?
Daniele,

It's part of the EUMETCast stream. Simply request it via the portal. The AVHRR data has the advantage of being ready rectified to a standard projection.