AppImage EUMETCastView v1.5.2 for Linux

Hugo

Hello,

I created an AppImage of EUMETCastView 1.5.2 for Linux. AppImages are binaries that contains all the dependencies that the application needs.
( https://docs.appimage.org/introduction/index.html ).
Just download the binary, make it executable and run it !

You can download the AppImage at https://github.com/hvanruys/EUMETCastView/releases/tag/v1.5.2

Grts,

Hugo

Ernst Lobsiger

Hi Hugo

That's an interesting approach. What minimum GNU/Linux stuff does this need?

I tried on a Debian Buster amd64 CLI system:

1) It asked for fusermount (which is in package fuse).
2) With fuse installed it cannot open the display so it certainly needs a graphic terminal.
3) Does it need QT and all the graphic 3D-libs and driver stuff as well?

Hugo

Hi Ernst,

All the needed Qt stuff is in the AppImage, but you need of course a working OpenGL Linux distribution for EUMETCastView.
The AppImage is created in Ubuntu 18.04 and also tested on Pop!_OS and it worked without any problems.
I suppose you have other Linux distibutions other than Debian Buster CLI ....;)
I'm very interested in your findings...

grts,

Hugo

Ernst Lobsiger

On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 07:39 AM, Hugo wrote:
I suppose you have other Linux distibutions other than Debian Buster CLI ....;)
I'm very interested in your findings...
Hugo,

TBH for the moment I have only CLI GNU/Linux systems. My receivers have ssh+WEB servers.
So I can manage and view everything from/with Windows 10. The latter OS is needed for anual
tax declarations and as a frontend for my aircraft noise calculation program under GNU/Linux
(and recently I used it for my Windows 10 version of the PyTROLL/Satpy Starter Kit 3.0 :-) ).

I have a spare XEON workstation under may desk that should be fine with OpenGL.
I'll install a graphic Debian Buster or maybe even Bullseye. I guess the coastlines
are contained in the AppImage as well. How do you handle an updated TLE-File?

Hugo

> I guess the coastlines are contained in the AppImage as well. How do you handle an updated TLE-File?

Yes the coastline database is in the AppImage and also the images for the 3D globe.
When the AppImage first starts up I download 2 TLE's ( weather.txt and resource.txt) which are saved outside the container. ( which is read-only by design)
They can be updated any time.
When EUMETCastView runs from an AppImage , there is an environment variable APPDIR which holds the directory with the expanded files ( in the /tmp directory).
This way one knows when the application is run natively or from an AppImage .

grts,

Hugo

Jeskynar

If your desktop is Windows 10 then you can use MobaXterm to login to your linux system and have X Window programs display on your Windows 10 desktop. It even supports OpenGL apparently.

On Fri, 14 May 2021 at 15:57, Ernst Lobsiger via groups.io <ernst.lobsiger=belponline.ch@groups.io> wrote:
On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 07:39 AM, Hugo wrote:
I suppose you have other Linux distibutions other than Debian Buster CLI ....;)
I'm very interested in your findings...
Hugo,

TBH for the moment I have only CLI GNU/Linux systems. My receivers have ssh+WEB servers.
So I can manage and view everything from/with Windows 10. The latter OS is needed for anual
tax declarations and as a frontend for my aircraft noise calculation program under GNU/Linux
(and recently I used it for my Windows 10 version of the PyTROLL/Satpy Starter Kit 3.0 :-) ).

I have a spare XEON workstation under may desk that should be fine with OpenGL.
I'll install a graphic Debian Buster or maybe even Bullseye. I guess the coastlines
are contained in the AppImage as well. How do you handle an updated TLE-File?

Jeskynar and Hugo

It must be back with Win 3.11 that I did some X over a network. I started the portable version of MobaXterm and just installed fuse on
one of my Debian CLI systems and AppImage worked under Windows 10. Login with ssh and start AppImage. But NO 3D-GLOBE so far :-\.
GNU/Linux usage on CLI Debian Buster (XEON) went up to 25% ... If we get the 3D-Globe running I could start AppImage on my TC receiver
where I store all the raw data. So no network data transfer with SAMBA but but X (with frame rate in black 3D-Globe Window of only 14 :-(.

Next step is pop_OS 20.10 or Debian 11 (RC1)

Hi Hugo

First of all I was wrong about the 14 paintGL calls of the 3D globe when using MobaXterm. This was only 4 paintGL calls. :-0 !
The Windows 10 PC was an I7 that used to run EUMETCastView as Windows App just fine. So no problem with OpenGL here.
The portable version of MobaXterm.exe went to the trash can and I manually cleaned the firewall application exception list.

Now I installed my spare XEON workstation with 16GB RAM. First try was with PopOS 20.10 (never heard of that before).
The AppImage worked fine except I wasn't able to fit the height of EUMETCastView to the height of my full HD monitor.
I got 60 paintGL calls which was possibly the limit of my cheap ASUS monitor. As a CLI user I want to be in control of the
system as much as possible. So PopOS 20.10 is not for me but it looks like a good choice for (still) Windows 10 users.

I then installed Debian 11 (RC1). I didn't take a desktop install as I don't want this kind of Office imitation. So I started
with a minimum CLI install. I added contrib and non-free to the repository list to apt-get install firmware-amd-graphics.
Then I installed lxde-core. The AppImage worked fine but I had the same problem of EUMETCastView being slightly
too high to fit in my window (It would possibly fit if there was no LXDE launch bar at the bottom of the screen). The
3D globe frame rate was again around 60 paintGL calls per second. So no difference compared with PopOS 20.10.

Is there a possibility to limit the maximum EUMETCastView Window size in pixels in some *.ini file? What monitor do
you propose to use for the latest EUMETCastView? Maybe after all these years I must have a closer look at LXDE.

Best regards,

Ernst

Hugo

Hi Ernst,

Thanks for testing this out ....
I do my development on a MSI portable with a second 4K screen and I always forget that I must keep the window layout within 1920x1080 pixels.
EUMETCastView is intended to run on a normal HD monitor, but it is of course nicer to see the images on a 4K monitor...
I will do the changes and post a new version of the appimage.
My eumetcast receiver is a pc with Devuan ASCII (2.1) and I tried the appimage on that system . Unfortunately the app complained about GLIBC v2.27 not found ....
Apparently every distro of Devuan never used GLIBC v21.27 .... so that didn't work . Adding the correct glibc to the AppImage resulted in a crash.
In the end I think that distributing apps for Linux via AppImages is the right way to go. Snap (Ubuntu) and flatpak (Red hat) are too closely linked with distributions.

Kind regards,

Hugo

Ernst Lobsiger

Hugo,

here is a screen shot of EUMETCastView appimage in Debian 11 (RC1) with LXDE. I can only resize the window manually
(with the mouse) in width. It always remains too high and the two resize buttons top left of EUMETCastView do not work.

P.S. It's on a (0 Euro) 10 years old AXXIV workstation with XEON proc and AMD card. Full HD resolution is all I have  ...

Hugo

Ernst,

I uploaded a new AppImage on https://github.com/hvanruys/EUMETCastView/releases . I kept the same version number 1.5.2.
After some tinkering I managed to keep everything in 1920x1080 pixels... now I realize how little real estate HD is. :)

grts,

Hugo

Ernst Lobsiger

On Sun, May 16, 2021 at 02:53 AM, Hugo wrote:
Ernst,

I uploaded a new AppImage on https://github.com/hvanruys/EUMETCastView/releases . I kept the same version number 1.5.2.
After some tinkering I managed to keep everything in 1920x1080 pixels... now I realize how little real estate HD is. :)

grts,

HugoErnst,

I uploaded a new AppImage on https://github.com/hvanruys/EUMETCastView/releases . I kept the same version number 1.5.2.
After some tinkering I managed to keep everything in 1920x1080 pixels... now I realize how little real estate HD is. :)

grts,

Hugo
Hugo,

is this still a version with some lib worked in that crashed on your Devuan 2.1? If I try to run it under Debian 11 I get:

lobsiger@saturn:~/appimage$ ./EUMETCastView-1.5.2-x86_64.AppImage
*** stack smashing detected ***: <unknown> terminated
Aborted
lobsiger@saturn:~/appimage$

No way to run it.

Hugo

Yes , my bad ... a new version is uploaded ... :)

grts

Hugo

Ernst Lobsiger

On Sun, May 16, 2021 at 06:51 AM, Hugo wrote:
Yes , my bad ... a new version is uploaded ... :)
Hi Hugo,

I tested three distros and everything seems to work. Not sure about the "Fit Window" and "Fit Window Width" buttons that seem to show no effect. Images below:

Debian 11 (testing, RC1, Bullseye) with my minimal LXDE install.
Debian 10 (stable, Buster) standard desktop with XCFE install.
Devuan 3 (stable, Beowulf) standard desktop with MATE install.

Next is to access my raw satellite data via NFS. The graphics card is an ATI/AMD FirePro W5000 (Pitcairn). This should run with a 4K monitor.
I know to lag always behind regarding HW and latest and greatest SW. Are these 4K monsters now common among EUMETCastView users?

Hugo

Hi Ernst,

Great... seems  to work for Devuan 3. Thanks.
The buttons "Fit Window" and "Fit Window Width" works only for images and projection images. The "Fit Window Width" is handy for polar sat images .
>  Are these 4K monsters now common among EUMETCastView users?
To be honest I don't know. Window users never complained about the minimum size of EUMETCastView, so I suppose they all use 4K monitors.
The one that I use is a very cheap one (Samsung) with only a refresh rate of 30 Hz, but it works great.

Cheers,
Hugo

Hugo

Ernst,

I realized that the button "Fit Window Width" is not working the way I wanted. When an image is smaller than the window it is displayed on, and after clicking the button "Fit Window Width", the original image width is displayed.
I changed that now, so that the image displayed is taking the complete width of the window.
I uploaded again a new version to github ...

Cheers,

Hugo

Markus Kempf

I tested the latest version with Win10 WSL2 running Ubuntu 20.04 and MobaXterm and it worked beautifully. No problems with sizing or resizing on my 4K monitor. Because this is a rather unusual environment, I would not expect problems on native installations.

Markus

Am 17.05.2021 um 14:00 schrieb Hugo:

Ernst,

I realized that the button "Fit Window Width" is not working the way I wanted. When an image is smaller than the window it is displayed on, and after clicking the button "Fit Window Width", the original image width is displayed.
I changed that now, so that the image displayed is taking the complete width of the window.
I uploaded again a new version to github ...

Cheers,

Hugo

Hugo

Nice ... Thanks Markus for testing this out ...
Kind regards,

Hugo

Ernst Lobsiger

On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 06:28 AM, Markus Kempf wrote:

I tested the latest version with Win10 WSL2 running Ubuntu 20.04 and MobaXterm and it worked beautifully. No problems with sizing or resizing on my 4K monitor. Because this is a rather unusual environment, I would not expect problems on native installations.

Markus

Markus,

what version of MobaXterm did you use?? I use the personal Portable V21.1 on Windows 10 PRO64 and my 3D-Globe remains black with 4.7 paintGL calls/second.

Here is the X-Server complaining in the ssh terminal:

<SNIP>
***
Release Debug: "0:1(10): error: GLSL 3.30 is not supported. Supported versions are: 1.10, 1.20, 1.30, 1.40, 1.00 ES, and 3.00 ES\n"
Release Debug: "0:1(10): error: GLSL 3.30 is not supported. Supported versions are: 1.10, 1.20, 1.30, 1.40, 1.00 ES, and 3.00 ES\n"
Release Warning: QOpenGLShader::compile(Vertex): 0:1(10): error: GLSL 3.30 is not supported. Supported versions are: 1.10, 1.20, 1.30, 1.40, 1.00 ES, and 3.00 ES

Release Warning: *** Problematic Vertex shader source code ***
#version 330
#define lowp
#define mediump
#define highp
#line 1

//layout(location=0) in vec2 VertexPosition;
//layout(location=1) in float VertexTexCoord;
<SNIP>

The native Windows Version of EUMETCastView runs with 24 paintGL calls/second on this PC and has no problem with the 3D Globe.

Hugo

Markus,

I watched the following video on youtube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL7Jd9rjgrM&list=PLhfrWIlLOoKNMHhB39bh3XBpoLxV3f0V9&index=7 .
By installing a WSL2 Ubuntu GUI isn't it possible to just run an AppImage in the virtual machine instead of running an Xserver (MobaXterm)?

Hugo