Topics

animations in GSS

Robert Moore

During the heavy storms in Europe last week I made an animation (daytime European precipitation) to show the extreme weather in northern Italy in the Alps/Dolomites region and sent it to my son, who lives there (and indeed experienced the thunder, lightning and hail that did so much damage in the region).

I had the following reply:  ‘not sure what your system is doing. The file you sent was 88MB, however, as you can see from the attached file, I have the exact same quality with a total file size of 4MB. You either have too much data, or are using a low compression codec, which these days are only needed for editing 4k files on multiple layers.’

It was as he said; the 4MB file gave exactly the same results as I had with my larger file. I looked back through my animation files and, by and large, they are big files. Not sure what’s up – should I be processing the .avi files created by GeoSatSignal to make them smaller or can GSS do this anyhow? I usually only run the animations for my own interest and rarely share them – so this rather took me by surprise.

Robert

Robert Moore

01352 714456

Robert Moore

Whoops – in my last -  for ‘precipitation’, read ‘convection’.

Robert

[...]

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

[...]

Robert,

There's an option to compress the animation on the Job setup page, Animation tab.

However, while you are welcome to try this option, my preference is to let GeoSatSignal generate full quality, and use an external compression program for the video so that you have full control over what compression/quality you eventually provide. I've not used the internal compression option for some time, so it may not still work.

Alan Sewards

Hi Robert,
There is no point in compressing the animation files unless you want to send them to someone, in which case you would use zip or some other compression program. Compressing the actual animation files would slow the animation down as the files would have to be decompressed each time the display was refreshed.
Best regards
Alan S