A68, SAR

Ferdinand Valk

All,

Attached is a Sentinel 1A radar image from December 3, providing incredible
detail on both A68 and South Georgia. Unfortunately A68 is not imaged
frequently enough to make it fit for animation, in spite of images being
cloudless by definition.

Ferdinand

Douglas Deans

On 07/12/2020 11:56, Ferdinand Valk wrote:
All,
Attached is a Sentinel 1A radar image from December 3, providing incredible
detail on both A68 and South Georgia. Unfortunately A68 is not imaged
frequently enough to make it fit for animation, in spite of images being
cloudless by definition.
Ferdinand

Excellent image Ferdinand. Thanks for posting. If it keeps heading for South Georgia it will probably ground itself just out from the Island.
Fascinating.

Ferdinand,

that's nice but also rather BIG. I do not know how many of those the list will take.

Does anybody (David?) know the size limits for attachments on MSG-1 ?
Can we post attachements up to this byte limit without bad conscience ?

Does anybody know of similar global SAR data on EUMETCast Europe ?
Pytroll/Satpy might be able to process it if an adequate reader is available.

Ferdinand Valk

Ernst,

I was already reluctant to post it at the 8MB as it was advertised on my PC. Great surprise to see it appearing at 12 MB on the Group.

For sure David will be able to either calm our conscience or rebuke us for clogging up the systems. :-)

By the way, the image size was already reduced by about 40% and diluted to 50% quality jpeg. The tiff itself clocked in at 220 MB.

Concerning similar global SAR data on EUMETCast, I haven’t found it yet.

Will wait for David’s verdict.

Cheers,

On 07/12/2020 13:33, Ferdinand Valk wrote:
Ernst,
I was already reluctant to post it at the 8MB as it was advertised on my PC. Great surprise to see it appearing at 12 MB on the Group.
For sure David will be able to either calm our conscience or rebuke us for clogging up the systems. :-)
By the way, the image size was already reduced by about 40% and diluted to 50% quality jpeg. The tiff itself clocked in at 220 MB.
Concerning similar global SAR data on EUMETCast, I haven’t found it yet.
Will wait for David’s verdict.
Cheers,
Ferdinand
Folks,

The JPEG size is 12,084 kB, so no problem. The size depends on the compression level, of course, so perhaps you have a "Save As" option where you can play with the compression level to keep the detail while reducing the file size.

There's some information on storage limits here:

https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/7137

MSG-1 is currently using 47% of its allocated 1 GB storage, mainly in attachments, so if we need more we'll need to upgrade us from Basic to Premium. It could cost $220/year (from the last figure I heard).

So if you like the images be sure to take your own copy (noting who is the originator to give them credit should the image be published).

Ferdinand,
that's nice but also rather BIG. I do not know how many of those the list will take.
Does anybody (David?) know the size limits for attachments on MSG-1 ?
Can we post attachements up to this byte limit without bad conscience ?
Does anybody know of similar global SAR data on EUMETCast Europe ?
Pytroll/Satpy might be able to process it if an adequate reader is available.
I don't know of any limit on size, but I do have my personal account set to download NO attachments, so all the images stay on the server.

Isn't all Sentinel data available through Copernicus Open Access Hub (formerly SciHub) in any case? This should include Sentinel 1 (SAR) European coverage.

https://scihub.copernicus.eu/

They have an App you can run on Android or iOS (although not the most recent iPad, sigh), and a download manager for MacOS and Windows:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=esa.sentinel&hl=en_GB&gl=US

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/copernicus-sentinel/id1036738151

Using the app on a small phone screen is awkward, to say the least!

https://eoapps.solenix.ch/download-manager/