How to disable automatic updates in Windows 10?

Ulrich G. Kliegis

Hi,
probably this has been discussed here before, but my search did not help me.
It was the fifth or so time now that my Windows 10 Pro receiving PC had updated
itself and rebooted, waitin for me to enter my password. OK, I know how to
deactivate the password barrier at boot time, but I would really also like to define
the actual update event myself. How do you folks solve that?

If there was a discussion about this here before, pls direct me just to the subject,
then I can read it myself.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Ulli

Andrew Brooks <arb@...>

This used to work for me
https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-permanently-stop-windows-10-reboots-after-installing-updates/

On 1 December 2017 at 20:03, 'Ulrich G. Kliegis' Ulrich.Kliegis@kliegis.de
[MSG-1] <MSG-1@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi,
probably this has been discussed here before, but my search did not help
me.
It was the fifth or so time now that my Windows 10 Pro receiving PC had
updated
itself and rebooted, waitin for me to enter my password. OK, I know how to
deactivate the password barrier at boot time, but I would really also like
to define
the actual update event myself. How do you folks solve that?

If there was a discussion about this here before, pls direct me just to
the subject,
then I can read it myself.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Ulli

Alan Banks <alanjamesbanks@...>

Hi Ulli

This works for me.

Press win+R; type regedit and press enter.
Browse to the following registry entry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE&#92;SOFTWARE&#92;Policies&#92;Microsoft&#92;Windows&#92;WindowsUpdate&#92;AU
If you do not have a WindowsUpdate and/or AU entry, you need to
create them. Follow the 'source' link below for add'l info on how to
do this.
Inside the AU key, create a new 32-bit DWORD called
NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers, then double-click on it and set its hex
value to 1.
You'll have to reboot for the change to be applied.
Please be aware of making a backup of the registry before messing.

This results in the PC not being able to find a time to do the restart
ifr a user is logged on.

You still get the updates but you decide when the restart happens.

Cheers

Alan

On 01/12/2017 20:03, 'Ulrich G. Kliegis' Ulrich.Kliegis@kliegis.de
[MSG-1] wrote:

[...]

==================================

Ulli,

Getting the PC to automatically enter your password (and having all the tasks you need scheduled to restart automatically) is perhaps the simplest way, and the one which offers maximum security.

It really depends what you are trying to achieve. I see there are already two suggestions for delaying the reboot. You can reschedule the reboot for ~20 days ahead by:

https://lifehacker.com/prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-restarting-your-p-1723647582

However, you may also be able to stop, or at least substantially delay, the updates from being applied by moving onto the Business branch. There's some information here:

https://www.petri.com/windows-10-tip-configure-windows-update-for-business-using-group-policy

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-stop-updates-installing-automatically-windows-10

"Windows 10 Long Term Servicing Branch" sound useful, but needs the Enterprise edition of Windows. You may need to reverse the change when you want to check for updates. Setting a connection to "metered" may prevent updates (not sure about security ones, though).

As ever, consider the implications of delaying any security updates very carefully.

Ulrich G. Kliegis

Thanks to all responders! I'll probably follow David's advice, reboot without
password entering, since it represents the tiniest intervention in a still pretty clean
system. And the short loss of some frames is absolutely tolerable for me.

Cheers, and have a nice weekend!

Ulli

An: <MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>
Von: "'David J Taylor' gm8arv@yahoo.co.uk [MSG-1]"
<MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>
Datum: Sat, 2 Dec 2017 08:48:30 -0000
Betreff: Re: [MSG-1] How to disable automatic updates in Windows
10?
Antwort an: <MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>

[...]

Posted by: "David J Taylor" <gm8arv@yahoo.co.uk>

http://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/glossary.htm

Join GEO - the Group for Earth Observation
for the informative GEO Quarterly magazine:
http://www.geo-web.org.uk/

Yahoo Groups Links