RAMdisk for win 10 / 64

Ulrich G. Kliegis

Hi folks,

being amidst the new installation of my receiving PC, with the data streaming down
already quite nicely, I am at the point of selecting a RAM disk for the tmp directory
(new style, eumetcast 5.1) in a windows 10 / 64 pro environment.
All (free) ramdisk programs seem to be designed for 32 bit systems.

My search brought up these so far:

SoftPerfect RAM Disk last Freeware Version
Gavotte:RAMDisk_1.0.4096.5_200811130
(both recommended by David)

then
Dataram_RAMDisk_4_4_0_RC36
and
imdiskinst_2.0.9

Any experience-based recommendations or warnings or other suggestions?

TIA,

Cheers and fair winds

Ulli

Ulrich G. Kliegis

Sorry, I have to correct myself

David recommends <http://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/Ayecka/RAMdisk.html> the
Dataram and the Gavotte solutions.

So, it should read

Dataram_RAMDisk_4_4_0_RC36
Gavotte:RAMDisk_1.0.4096.5_200811130
(both recommended by David)

then
SoftPerfect RAM Disk last Freeware Version
and
imdiskinst_2.0.9

SoftPerfect RAM Disk last Freeware Version
Gavotte:RAMDisk_1.0.4096.5_200811130
(both recommended by David)

then
Dataram_RAMDisk_4_4_0_RC36
and
imdiskinst_2.0.9

Cheers,

U.

Thorsten Miglus

Hi folks,

being amidst the new installation of my receiving PC, with the data streaming down
already quite nicely, I am at the point of selecting a RAM disk for the tmp directory
(new style, eumetcast 5.1) in a windows 10 / 64 pro environment.
All (free) ramdisk programs seem to be designed for 32 bit systems.

My search brought up these so far:

SoftPerfect RAM Disk last Freeware Version
Gavotte:RAMDisk_1.0.4096.5_200811130
(both recommended by David)

then
Dataram_RAMDisk_4_4_0_RC36
and
imdiskinst_2.0.9

Any experience-based recommendations or warnings or other suggestions?

TIA,

Cheers and fair winds

Ulli

==================================

Hi Ulli,

I use SoftPerfect RAM Disk (version 3.4.7) on Windows 10, 64 bit without any issue.

Cheers,
Thorsten

Douglas Deans

On 08/10/2017 14:22, 'Ulrich G. Kliegis' Ulrich.Kliegis@kliegis.de [MSG-1] wrote:
Hi folks,
being amidst the new installation of my receiving PC, with the data streaming down
already quite nicely, I am at the point of selecting a RAM disk for the tmp directory
(new style, eumetcast 5.1) in a windows 10 / 64 pro environment.
All (free) ramdisk programs seem to be designed for 32 bit systems.
My search brought up these so far:
SoftPerfect RAM Disk last Freeware Version
Gavotte:RAMDisk_1.0.4096.5_200811130
(both recommended by David)
then
Dataram_RAMDisk_4_4_0_RC36
and
imdiskinst_2.0.9
Any experience-based recommendations or warnings or other suggestions?
TIA,
Cheers and fair winds
Ulli

Ulrich I take BS, HVS-1 and HVS-2 separately but quite often simultaneously on a single computer which also does processing with David's programs and Hugo's program and I have never found a need for a RAMDisk. I do keep HVS-1 and HVS-2 data (and TMP folder) on separate HDDs to help with write.

I use a SR1 for the BS and 6903 for HVS-1 and HVS-2 from a dual LNB.

Alan Sewards

Hi, Like Thorsten, I have been using the Softperfect RAMdisk software 3.4.6 for years, with Windows 10. No problems.
Best regards
Alan S

Sent from Samsung tablet.-------- Original message --------From: "thorsten.miglus@kabelmail.de [MSG-1]" <MSG-1@yahoogroups.com> Date: 2017/10/08 16:22 (GMT+01:00) To: MSG-1@yahoogroups.com Subject: [MSG-1] Re: RAMdisk for win 10 / 64

[...]

Douglas,

thanks for the reply. My motivation to use a ramdisk is my empathy for the HDD
mechanics.. ;) Whereas the electrons might suffer even more, but...

Right now, I am only taking the BS part only, via the SR1. Living a bit outside the
optimal field strength spot, I'll deal with the HVS later.

Cheers,
U.

An: <MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>
Von: "Douglas Deans dsdeans@btinternet.com [MSG-1]"
<MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>
Datum: Sun, 8 Oct 2017 15:47:09 +0100
Betreff: Re: [MSG-1] RAMdisk for win 10 / 64
Antwort an: <MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>

Ulrich I take BS, HVS-1 and HVS-2 separately but quite often
simultaneously on a single computer which also does processing with
David's programs and Hugo's program and I have never found a need
for a
RAMDisk. I do keep HVS-1 and HVS-2 data (and TMP folder) on separate
HDDs
to help with write.

I use a SR1 for the BS and 6903 for HVS-1 and HVS-2 from a dual
LNB.

Ulrich G. Kliegis

Thanks to all responders! So, I'll give the SoftPerfect solution the first chance.

Cheers,
U.

An: "thorsten.miglus@kabelmail.de [MSG-1]"
<MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>
Von: "alan alan@asewards.net [MSG-1]"
<MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>
Datum: Sun, 08 Oct 2017 17:09:08 +0200
Betreff: Re: [MSG-1] Re: RAMdisk for win 10 / 64
[...]

Posted by: alan <alan@asewards.net>

http://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/glossary.htm

Join GEO - the Group for Earth Observation
for the informative GEO Quarterly magazine:
http://www.geo-web.org.uk/

Yahoo Groups Links