GOES 16.

Douglas Deans

Folks today's Weekly Operations Schedule has confirmed that GOES 16 data is now available to all on Eumetcast Transponder 2.
All the information you need can be found here :-

https://www.eumetsat.int/website/home/News/DAT_3648626.html

You will have to register for it as usual on the portal.
Please also note that David Taylor (who is not available at the moment) has produced a small test program which reads some of the data. He has also done some basic preliminary work with GSS on 2 of the channels.
These programs can be found on his beta page.

I have been testing this data for many months and it is well worth a look.
Please also remember this is preliminary data from a satellite not yet commissioned and data and images should not be published without NOAA's specific reference to this.

mikeg4cfz

Douglas, many thanks for the up-date information, all is working well and Davids Beta Software is brilliant, quite outstanding images, and 6903 performing well. Regards, Mike.

Mads Kristoffersen

Hi

Can anyone explain why Channel 1 is not distributed over EUMETCast?

Kind Regards
Mads

Douglas Deans

On 07/10/2017 16:25, mads.kristoffersen@yahoo.com [MSG-1] wrote:
Hi
Can anyone explain why Channel 1 is not distributed over EUMETCast?
Kind Regards
Mads

I will need to check but I think it has a higher spatial resolution, perhaps 0.5km. There will be many things the Americans will get (1 min RSS, lightning mapper etc) that will be of little interest in Europe.

I expect with the size of datas nowadays that Eumetsat will need to be careful even with 2 transponders. For example the huge sentinel data will double when Sentinel 3B comes on stream.

a_van_belle

http://www.goes-r.gov/users/docs/PUG-L1b-vol3.pdf http://www.goes-r.gov/users/docs/PUG-L1b-vol3.pdf

Page 47:

Table 5.1.3.1-1 Applications of the Radiances Product GOES 16
ABI Central Native Primary Use
Band Wavelength(um) Resolution (km)
1 0.47 1 Daytime aerosol over land, coastal water mapping.
2 0.64 0.5 Daytime clouds, fog, insolation, winds.
3 0.865 1 Daytime vegetation, burn scar, aerosol over water, winds.
4 1.378 2 Daytime cirrus cloud.
5 1.61 1 Daytime cloud-top phase and particle size, snow.
6 2.25 2 Daytime land, cloud properties, particle size, vegetation, snow.
7 3.9 2 Surface and cloud, fog at night, fire, winds.
8 6.185 2 High-level atmospheric water vapor, winds, rainfall.
9 6.95 2 Midlevel atmospheric water vapor, winds, rainfall.
10 7.34 2 Lower-level water vapor, winds, and SO2.
11 8.5 2 Total water for stability, cloud phase, dust SO2, rainfall.
12 9.61 2 Total ozone, turbulence, winds.
13 10.35 2 Surface and clouds.
14 11.2 2 Imagery, sea surface temperature, clouds, rainfall.
15 12.3 2 Total water, volcanic ash, sea surface temperature.
16 13.3 2 Air temperature, cloud heights.

So channel 2 is the spectacular 0.5 KM visual channel.

But EUMETSAT announced:
"The data are half-hourly full disk data in 2km resolution in channels 2-16. They are distributed in their native netCDF format."

So I am not sure what to expect on Channel/band 2 in future.
Currently both 02 and 03 channels produce the same 5424 x 5424 x 24 BPP Full globe resolution images in David's NetCDFreader.

I can confirm that i receive OR_ABI-L1b-RadF-M3C02_G16_.........
up to OR_ABI-L1b-RadF-M3C16_G16_......... files, so channels 02 to 16.

Greetings,
Arne van Belle