Topics

Snr decrease

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

Thanks for the update David. I am quite surprised to see the
probable cause as I would have thought that would impact on most users
rather than a selected few.

=================================

Yes, I agree, Ian. It's what made me think of something which is station-dependant such as polarisation, LNB, cable length, or receiver bandwidth.

To be continued.

Alan Sewards

Hi folks,

I received the same message from Ops when I reported the drop in
SNR. I have to say that I find it difficult to believe the suggested
causes. These are transient or ephemeral, but the changes I have
observed are clearcut, solid and definitive, continued for months, and
varied with the location of observers. Furthermore, the recent change
has just about exactly undone the change observed last summer - then I
went up 2 dB and recently down 2dB, leaving me with the same SNR I used
to have. This is similar to the changes I observed when Sky switched the
BBC/ITV channels to the narrow UK beam last year. What I have seen is
more commensurate with a station keeping maneuver which has resulted in
a small change in antenna beam pointing.

Best regards - Alan S

--
email: alan@asewards.net
web site: http://asewards.free.fr

mikeg4cfz

Alan, Hi good to hear you about, like you had the same reply from EUMETSAT and now the wind and rain has stopped with some sunshine decided to have a look at the satellite dish for any adjustments, I decided the easiest one was to adjust the LNB Skew Angle, bearing in mind I have never moved it since first installed its a Technisat Gold, so I carefully moved the angle in small increments back towards vertical, its now set at 1degree off and my SNR has jumped from 10.3 up 12.0 on BS/HVS-1, HVS-2 is now 13.6 and using TBS-6903, with Tuner A running HVS-1 and Tuner B running BS, so will leave it there and see what happens, so your theory may be correct. Regards to all, Mike.