Met-7 / 8 change - Does this message appear in this list?

Ulrich G. Kliegis

Sorry, pls disregard this message. - Some months ago, I sent a number of
messages to the list but none appeared here. This is another try.

Substantial question: With Meteosat 7 being replaced by Meteosat 8 now, do I have
to change anything in MSG-DM or Animator? Until March 9, 2017, 18:00 UTC,
Met-7 appeared in the received folder, since not.

Seven or eight months out here - and nothing is as it was before here... Sigh. Too
much other work.

Cheers,

Ulli

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

Sorry, pls disregard this message. - Some months ago, I sent a number of
messages to the list but none appeared here. This is another try.

Substantial question: With Meteosat 7 being replaced by Meteosat 8 now, do I have
to change anything in MSG-DM or Animator? Until March 9, 2017, 18:00 UTC,
Met-7 appeared in the received folder, since not.

Seven or eight months out here - and nothing is as it was before here... Sigh. Too
much other work.

Cheers,
Ulli
=====================================

Ulli,

This caught me out as well. Met-7 is undergoing a decontamination at the moment, although quite why when it's being retired is not entirely clear to me! Hence no data.

Ann Nr: 2459
Rev: 3
Start Time: 2017-03-09 18:00:00.0
End Time: 2017-03-14 14:00:00.0

Glad your messages are now arriving!

Ulrich G. Kliegis

This caught me out as well. Met-7 is undergoing a decontamination at the
moment, although quite why when it's being retired is not entirely clear
to me! Hence no data.

Maybe they can sell it better then... ;)

Thanks, and still glad to have lost the stealth helmet here now. Seems it had
something to do with the yahoo-openness of an undesired kind or so...

The reason why I tried to copy Met7 is that my two sons are just on Sri Lanka for a
short stay. Travelling ist 60% software today, at least.

Cheers, have a nice sunday!

U.

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

Maybe they can sell it better then... ;)

Thanks, and still glad to have lost the stealth helmet here now. Seems it had
something to do with the yahoo-openness of an undesired kind or so...

The reason why I tried to copy Met7 is that my two sons are just on Sri Lanka for a
short stay. Travelling ist 60% software today, at least.

Cheers, have a nice sunday!

U.
=============================

Ulli,

Perhaps your ISP was blacklisted because of someone else's actions? It can sometimes help to have a Yahoo e-mail account.

There was an announcement in the EUMETCast weekly schedule, but I must confess that I missed it there as there is so much information in the schedule, some of it relating to events weeks ahead, that I no longer study at al all carefully, if at all! What I do find /very/ helpful are the @eumetsat_users announcements on Twitter - many thanks to Sancha and Mark (I think)!

Met-7 has been replaced by Met-8 providing 15-minute coverage at much higher resolution of the Indian Ocean region. The current MSG Data Manager, Animator, and GeoSatSignal support the new data stream, although I don't know whether you need to register. Perhaps not.

http://www.eumetsat.int/website/home/News/DAT_3363066.html
http://www.eumetsat.int/website/home/News/DAT_3120368.html

I have brief notes about creating a new MSG Data Manager instance here:

http://www.satsignal.eu/software/faq.htm#iodc

and about the additions you need to make to the recv-channel.ini file. If you need some pictures from previous days surely many here could help.

Ulrich G. Kliegis

David,

yes, thanks, I've subscribed to them too, but twitter is such a cluster of clutter too,
and the POTUS and others don't make it better... ;)

Von: "'David J Taylor' gm8arv@yahoo.co.uk [MSG-1]"
<MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>
Datum: Sun, 12 Mar 2017 07:44:50 -0000

What I do find /very/ helpful are
the @eumetsat_users announcements on Twitter - many thanks to Sancha and
Mark (I think)!
More mail accounts? - makes the mails reader handling even more complex. I've
been using Pegasus Mail now for more than 20 years, no flaw, no lost mail. But
limited a bit, admittedly.

Got IODC configured today - thanks for the concise description in your MSG FAQ
(#67/68)!

Cheers,

U.

Thorsten Miglus

Ulli,

This caught me out as well. Met-7 is undergoing a decontamination at the
moment, although quite why when it's being retired is not entirely clear to
me! Hence no data.

Ann Nr: 2459
Rev: 3
Start Time: 2017-03-09 18:00:00.0
End Time: 2017-03-14 14:00:00.0

Glad your messages are now arriving!

=============================

David,

Meteosat-7 data continue to be disseminated in parallel until 31/03/2017.

http://www.eumetsat.int/website/home/News/DAT_3363066.html http://www.eumetsat.int/website/home/News/DAT_3363066.html

Cheers,
Thorsten

Meteosat-7 data continue to be disseminated in parallel until 31/03/2017.

http://www.eumetsat.int/website/home/News/DAT_3363066.html http://www.eumetsat.int/website/home/News/DAT_3363066.html

Cheers,
Thorsten
============================

Yes, Thorsten, but the data stopping was confusing! I still don't see why it needs decontamination so near to a graveyard orbit, and I don't recall the same being done with Met-5, but that was a long time ago!

The current beta MSG Data Manager and reporting program know about the end-of-March closure and will not report missing Met-7 data after that date.

http://www.satsignal.eu/software/beta.htm

yes, thanks, I've subscribed to them too, but twitter is such a cluster of clutter too,
and the POTUS and others don't make it better... ;)

What I do find /very/ helpful are
the @eumetsat_users announcements on Twitter - many thanks to Sancha and
Mark (I think)!
More mail accounts? - makes the mails reader handling even more complex. I've
been using Pegasus Mail now for more than 20 years, no flaw, no lost mail. But
limited a bit, admittedly.

Got IODC configured today - thanks for the concise description in your MSG FAQ
(#67/68)!

Cheers,
U.
===================================

Yes, Ulli, you need to limit yourself to the number and style of people you follow on Twitter, but @eumetsat_users are well focussed and do a great job!

I've not used Pegasus e-mail, but adding an account on many mail systems just requires entering a few parameters for the user and servers.

Thanks for letting me know that the FAQ suggestions work. I'm open to suggestions for improvements if anything isn't clear.

Ulrich G. Kliegis

Von: "thorsten.miglus@kabelmail.de [MSG-1]"
<MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>
Datum: 12 Mar 2017 13:34:12 +0000

Meteosat-7 data continue to be disseminated in parallel until 31/03/2017.
Thorsten,

is this to be understood as the formal readiness to disseminate, but not necessarily
the really existent (like during decontaminiations)? Otgherwise we have an
ambiguity between these two domains. Or?

Cheers,

Ulli (who has still to find out how to open the door for IODC-Data into his system,
iodc-MSGDM installed and running, but on the correct msgX-ticket?)

Ulrich G. Kliegis

(like during decontaminiations)?
Otgherwise we have an ambiguity between these two domains. Or?
Sorry for my (hopefully) temporary finger trouble (vertebral disc in the cervical neck
had developed its own plans to move home..., but getting better already...)

decontaminations and otherwise, it should read.

Cheers,
U.