TC 2.14.1-3 released!?

Christian Peters

Hi all,

I just noticed that there is a Tellicast V 2.14. available/sent at the Info Channel 1!?
Did anyone just updated to the new version. Any problems on Linux (@ Ernst/Simon/Rob)?
What's the idea for the new additional second possible hvs instance (hvs-2)?

Phew...did some modification from the standard dirs (logs/data/config files naming)while testing phase so updatingto 2.14. will be some work to get up all and running again! Maybe some work for a day off...! ;-).

Regadrs,

Christian

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

Hi all,

I just noticed that there is a Tellicast V 2.14. available/sent at the Info Channel 1!?
Did anyone just updated to the new version. Any problems on Linux (@ Ernst/Simon/Rob)?
What's the idea for the new additional second possible hvs instance (hvs-2)?

Phew...did some modification from the standard dirs (logs/data/config files naming)while testing phase so updatingto 2.14. will be some work to get up all and running again! Maybe some work for a day off...! ;-).

Regadrs,

Christian

Christian,

A number of us have been using the 2.14.2 client for some time, and it's actually very similar to the 2.12.1 used for the HVS reception. I asked EUMETSAT about upgrading, compared to just replacing the .EXE and licence.ini files, and they replied:

Of course the procedure described below works, as the client is just a simple executable with configuration files. However I would recommend to go through a fresh installation

mainly for the following reasons:
- multiple services and shortcuts are quickly installed
- multiple sessions are also installed as services (can then run without need for login)
- firewall changes are automatically done
- future upgrades will be easier (username and password will be known to the installer, kept in registry)

But also for these:
- standard locations for the data/logs/tmp/ installation directories are used
- standard port numbers for shell interfaces will be used
- existing channel configuration files can be maintained, or overwritten (with backups made)

In short, it may make more effort now, but will make future upgrades easier. When new services are added (more transponders, terrestrial) an upgrade installation will be much easier than maintaining it manually.

So it will help EUMETSAT in trouble-shooting if everyone has a standard installation, which is a good idea.

However, like you, I have installations which are somewhat customised, so I have continued with a simple replacement of the two files I mentioned and one update to the client configuration, and all appears well.

Looking to the future, when Sentinel 3B is launched that's the bandwidth of the current DVB-S2 transponder fully used up, and there is data to come beyond that (not to mention GOES-16), so it's likely that a second transponder will need to be used. Exciting times ahead!

Simon Proud <simon.proud@...>

Hi Christian,
Sorry, we don't use tellicast to receive data any more so I can't help. My
old employer does, though, and as far as I can see they're not having any
issues with the new client (i.e: They still receive data OK).

Cheers,
Simon

On 5 January 2017 at 23:05, hctpeters@... [MSG-1] <
MSG-1@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I just noticed that there is a Tellicast V 2.14. available/sent at the
Info Channel 1!?
Did anyone just updated to the new version. Any problems on Linux (@
Ernst/Simon/Rob)?
What's the idea for the new additional second possible hvs instance
(hvs-2)?

Phew...did some modification from the standard dirs (logs/data/config
files naming)while testing phase so updatingto 2.14. will be some work to
get up all and running again! Maybe some work for a day off...! ;-).

Regadrs,

Christian

Christian Peters

Hi Simon,

thank you for that info!
It's a long shot, but I did...! ;-)
Modified my directories and channel list and all works fine again at
first glance.
Throughput graph is back....

Regards,

Christian

MSG-1@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I just noticed that there is a Tellicast V 2.14. available/sent at the
Info Channel 1!?
Did anyone just updated to the new version. Any problems on Linux (@
Ernst/Simon/Rob)?
What's the idea for the new additional second possible hvs instance
(hvs-2)?

Phew...did some modification from the standard dirs (logs/data/config
files naming)while testing phase so updatingto 2.14. will be some
work to
get up all and running again! Maybe some work for a day off...! ;-).

Regadrs,

Christian

Thorsten Miglus

Hi all,

I just noticed that there is a Tellicast V 2.14. available/sent at the Info Channel 1!?
Did anyone just updated to the new version. Any problems on Linux (@ Ernst/Simon/Rob)?
What's the idea for the new additional second possible hvs instance (hvs-2)?

Phew...did some modification from the standard dirs (logs/data/config files naming)while testing phase so updatingto 2.14. will be some work to get up all and running again! Maybe some work for a day off...! ;-).

Regadrs,

Christian
=================================

Hi Christian,

thanks for the hint that a new Tellicast version is available.
I did the upgrade from V 2.12 on Windows 10 without problems.
Some editing of the .ini files for Basic Service and HVS was required to address my needs.
But it was an easy task to take over the data from V 2.12 .ini files. Less than 30 minutes of work.
All is running fine with V 2.14 now. Nice to have the throughput graph again.

HVS-2 will be used when a second transponder is available in the future.
If one PC can handle two transponders with two receivers and three instances of Tellicast running at the same time? This will be an exciting project ...

Cheers,
Thorsten

Christian Peters

Thorsten,

I wasn't aware that there was already any 2.14. version released!? So I
was quite surprised...nothing read here in the forum?!

Fortunately there were really no changes even inside the .ini files so
it really take less than 30min. ;-)

So it would be really interesting if there will be a second transponder
and I hope there will be some Linux driver for a proper device to
receive all the additional data...

Really interesting and exciting new challenges... ;-)

Regards,

Christian

Am 06.01.17 um 21:40 schrieb thorsten.miglus@... [MSG-1]:

[...]

Sent yesterday but not yet appeared.....

[...]

I observed some lost packets on HVS when opening the HTML Shell.
The reason may be that Tellicast is busy with displaying the throughput graph?

With HVS the throughput graph seems to work not properly.
With channel 1 active about 33 Mbit traffic is shown.
With channel 2 active avout 15 Mbit traffic is shown.
With channel 1 and 2 active about 33 Mbit traffic is shown? Should be about 48 Mbit?

Cheers,
Thorsten

Christian Peters

David,

it seems quite easier on Linux as I only had to unpack the zipped tar
file which installed the .ini files (and did backups from old files), a
startup script and the tellicast binary.

It's reasonable to do a consistent data structure in the future.
But there are some modifications here too (even to run mvmsg from Ernst)
so I will first stay on my data structure.
But it was no problem to modify the use the cast-client_* files and use
my cast-client-channels_*.ini files with my directory structure.
If there will be a second HVS service in the future then it would be
really nice to have the data split into bas, hvs_1 and hvs_2 directories.

Interesting times....but I guess then there must be new hardware to be
ready....?

Regards,

Christian

Am 07.01.17 um 08:47 schrieb 'David J Taylor' gm8arv@... [MSG-1]:

[...]

================================

Thorsten,

If it helps, here are some graphs. My Ayecka SR1 is set for HVS-only data, and TelliCast on the two PCs for /only/ EFR/ERR data, i.e. just channels 1 and 2. I don't know how the data may be phased between the two channels, or whether the ERR (reduced resolution, full-pass) is sent first, and then the EFR (full resolution) in chunks. Perhaps a study of the log files would clarify that. The maximum throughput observed appears to be about 39.6 Mbps over a five minute period.

Thinking aloud - if you're seeing 33 Mbps instantaneous on channel 1, that's about 4 MBps, and the typical full-resolution file is 650 MB, so it would take under 3 minutes to send, and hence the 5-minute average would only be valid if the EFR files are sent continuously. But perhaps they are....

it seems quite easier on Linux as I only had to unpack the zipped tar
file which installed the .ini files (and did backups from old files), a
startup script and the tellicast binary.

It's reasonable to do a consistent data structure in the future.
But there are some modifications here too (even to run mvmsg from Ernst)
so I will first stay on my data structure.
But it was no problem to modify the use the cast-client_* files and use
my cast-client-channels_*.ini files with my directory structure.
If there will be a second HVS service in the future then it would be
really nice to have the data split into bas, hvs_1 and hvs_2 directories.

Interesting times....but I guess then there must be new hardware to be
ready....?

Regards,

Christian
=============================

Christian,

I was dead easy on Windows - copy two files! But the Windows folk will have a full installer which will do everything for them, and that's the recommended route. (I say "will" because I gather that it is not yet officially released.)

New hardware: Sentinel-2B is approaching launch, and Sentinel-3B must be in progress. It's always been the intention with these satellites to have them operate in pairs to reduce the repeat cycle, as I understand it. GOES-16 will provide much more data for the Americas - how much of that will EUMETCast carry. See Nick Coyne's slides from his GEO Symposium talk.

http://www.geo-web.org.uk/symposium2016.php

Christian Peters

David,

ok, 2.14. it's almost 'beta' and not official released!?
Yes....seems quite easy in windows too. The installer does some more things but it seems that's not necessary even in windows
-except for a fresh new install it would be the way. I was happy as I did the first install of a TC client (on Windows) and the installer did all
for me.....it's really better for a start into the EumetCast journey.

Hm....Sentinel-2B and GOES-16 are on track. Let's see which data will be distributed by EumetCast.
But I think a second transponder means new receiving hardware if I will manage that on one PC?

Nice Slides from Nick Coyne, so launching Sentinel-3B in autumn would more than double the data rate?
If there will be data from GOES-16 on the HVS channel too....! Phew..., let's see! ;-)