SeaIceViewer

Ulrich G. Kliegis

While restoring my two-PC-receiver-viewer combo, I found that the SeaIceViewer
(1.4.4.64, obviously still the latest version) does not show what it's supposed to.
Probably my fault, but where? I've set the link to the parent folder of the SAF
directory to <partition>:/MSG-1/images/, where a lot of files lives in date-coded
directories, but none seems to be the favorite flavour of the viewer.

Cheers,

U.

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

While restoring my two-PC-receiver-viewer combo, I found that the SeaIceViewer
(1.4.4.64, obviously still the latest version) does not show what it's supposed to.
Probably my fault, but where? I've set the link to the parent folder of the SAF
directory to <partition>:/MSG-1/images/, where a lot of files lives in date-coded
directories, but none seems to be the favorite flavour of the viewer.

Cheers,

U.
===============================

Ulrich,

Which file does not now read correctly? Perhaps the supplier changed its format. Are you sure it used to read correctly before? No-one else has commented on this.

Ulrich G. Kliegis

An: <MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>
Von: "'David J Taylor' gm8arv@yahoo.co.uk [MSG-1]"
<MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>
Datum: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 17:37:12 -0000
Betreff: Re: [MSG-1] SeaIceViewer
Antwort an: <MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>

Which file does not now read correctly? Perhaps the supplier changed
its format. Are you sure it used to read correctly before? No-one
else has commented on this.
David,

thanks for the attention ;) - Frankly, I don't know the actual file naming scheme - I
just know that I could display SST and polar sea ice areas without any problems
some time ago, although I have to admit that that has been really some time ago
meanwhile.

Now, there are two options:

a) I've maybe unintentionally disabled the special format in recv-channels.ini (but
which ones?)
or
b) the naming scheme has changed.

I can pretty surely exclude to have unsubscribed for these data at Eumetsat -
although I learned to say never only in reserved situations.

Maybe somebody here follows these data too and can comment? I'll try to find out
the file name scheme tomorrow or over the weekend.

Cheers,
U.

nigel

An: <MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>
Von: "'David J Taylor' gm8arv@yahoo.co.uk [MSG-1]"
<MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>
Datum: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 17:37:12 -0000
[...]

------------------------------------
Posted by: "Ulrich G. Kliegis" <Ulrich.Kliegis@kliegis.de>
------------------------------------
Hi Ulrich,
I also use David's Sea Ice Viewer (currently version 1.4.4.64 2012-Apr-04) and the latest North sea ice concentration file is:-
S-OSI_-NOR_-MULTI-GL_NH_CONC__-201501151200Z.grb
These files are in my E:&#92;MSG-1&#92;Images&#92;SAF&#92; folder.
Sea Ice viewer set up is pointing to the E:&#92;MSG-1&#92;Images folder - i.e. the folder above the SAF folder.
Do you have this set up ??
Regards
Nigel

James Brown

On 15/01/2015 17:37, 'David J Taylor' gm8arv@yahoo.co.uk [MSG-1] wrote:

While restoring my two-PC-receiver-viewer combo, I found that the
SeaIceViewer
(1.4.4.64, obviously still the latest version) does not show what it's
supposed to.
Probably my fault, but where? I've set the link to the parent folder
of the
SAF
directory to <partition>:/MSG-1/images/, where a lot of files lives in
date-coded
directories, but none seems to be the favorite flavour of the viewer.

Cheers,

U.
===============================

Ulrich,

Which file does not now read correctly? Perhaps the supplier changed its
format. Are you sure it used to read correctly before? No-one else has
commented on this.

I am also an intermittent user of this great software, and can confirm
that it is still correctly detecting and displaying files, right up to a
day ago, so it doesn't seem to be a software issue, and I haven't
changed the file structure or seen any EUMETSAT changes which might have
triggered a problem.

Cheers

James

[...]

Nigel says that the data is in the SAF directory, so check that in the channel selection options, SAF, you have the "Ocean & Sea-Ice" checked. The files come in around 04:44, it appears, so anyone only running during daylight hours would miss them.

Ulrich G. Kliegis

Nigel, James, David,

with a shamefully lowered head I have to admit that the problem once again sits
about 50cm in front of the screen in front of me. I had obviously looked at a
previous version of my recv-channels.ini file, you guess it, the working one had
some nasty ### at wrong places. Except for saf-europe, all saf channels were # 'ed
off.

So, I can't but apologize to have occupied your time...

Since my receiver runs non-stop, the daylight option never applies here. Hey, there
is always some daylight anywhere!

Cheers,
U.

Von: "'David J Taylor' gm8arv@yahoo.co.uk [MSG-1]"
Datum: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 11:45:03 -0000

[...]

==================================

No problem, Ulrich, we've all done that from time to time!

By the way: I recall you used to offer your statistics for the Europe-wide monitoring. Any chance of reviving those now that your reception is more settled?

Thanks,

Ulrich G. Kliegis

An: <MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>
Von: "'David J Taylor' gm8arv@yahoo.co.uk [MSG-1]"
<MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>
Datum: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 07:21:21 -0000
Antwort an: <MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>

By the way: I recall you used to offer your statistics for the
Europe-wide monitoring. Any chance of reviving those now that your
reception is more settled?
David,
that's the next entry on my to-do-list, chapter satellites etc. . My wife administers my
master-to-do-list, and she says... ouuuuuch! ;)

Cheers,
U.

Ulrich G. Kliegis

An: <MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>
Von: "'David J Taylor' gm8arv@yahoo.co.uk [MSG-1]"
<MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>
Datum: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 07:21:21 -0000
Antwort an: <MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>

No problem, Ulrich, we've all done that from time to time!
To close the case: I c SeaIce (and SST) again ;) Thanks to all supporters!

Cheers,
U.

nigel

An: <MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>
Von: "'David J Taylor' gm8arv@yahoo.co.uk [MSG-1]"
<MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>
Datum: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 07:21:21 -0000
Antwort an: <MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>

No problem, Ulrich, we've all done that from time to time!
To close the case: I c SeaIce (and SST) again ;) Thanks to all supporters!

Cheers,
U.

Good news, Ulrich - as David said, we've all (well most of us!) been there.
Very glad you're seeing the data again.
The wonder of computers, eh!
Regards
Nigel

Ulrich G. Kliegis

An: <MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>
Von: "Nigel Heasman nigel@nigelheasman.com [MSG-1]"
<MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>
Datum: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 18:47:53 +0200
Antwort an: <MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>

The wonder of computers, eh!
A friend of mine uses to explain the simplest facts in life with the standard line
'That's space technology!'. He is so right.

Cheers,
U.