SR1, no lock, margins?

Ulrich G. Kliegis

So far, everything went absolutely smooth. I switched the management IP of the
GEO provided SR1 to a place in my LAN range, I can telnet it, and David's java
based controller (latest version) runs too.

Unfortunately, I read a red NOT LOCKED! on it after switching to configuration set
2 and moving the LNB pointing 1 degree more eastwards.

To be sure that everything is alright, I switched back to conf set 1 and moved the
LNB back to its old place. Es/No of almost 15 dB there, power close to the scale
maximum.

Then I played a bit with the threshold values, not really fully understanding what
they mean and effect. Are they sort of threshold values for the signal discrimination,
marking a "low" and "high" level?

I started with the factory settings (0.0 .. 1.5 here), then tried Eumetsat's and David's
recommended settings as given here:

<http://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/Ayecka/Next-steps.html#SR1controller>

No avail. Max range (-2.5 .. 5.0) obviously also no unlock.

I have the feeling of being pretty close to the finish but can't see it right now.

Any good advice (tm) ?

Cheers,
thanks in advance!

U.

Ulrich G. Kliegis

Von: "'Ulrich G. Kliegis' Ulrich.Kliegis@kliegis.de [MSG-1]"
<MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>
Datum: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 20:35:28 +0100

Any good advice (tm) ?
I missed to mention that I compared the telnet screenshots in

<http://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/Ayecka/Next-steps.html#SR1controller> to my
reading:

=================
SR1c Serial No. 111338 30AAC Run Time: 0:08:15
Software Version 1.05b250 Hardware Version 2.10 Firmware Version 2.02b922

RX1: Active, Not Locked
ile 2 1000.000 MHz, Auto

=================

1. Configuration
2. Status
3. Network
4. System
5. Statistics
6. ACM Client

You may notice that the charactes "Pro" are missing from the word Profile in the
header - this is absolutely reproducible.

And the indicated frequency is 1000.000 MHz here (in the not locked state), as
opposed to the 1100.000 MHz in the a.m. example.

Cheers,
U.

a_van_belle

Hello Ulrich,

Your SR1 somehow lacks the setting for DVB-S2, frequency should read 1513, not 1000 MHz.

On the GEO site there is a config file that adds correct parameters for DVB-S2 and sets thresholds correctly.
You need to have the CP210 driver installed and SR1 connected over USB during this config.

http://www.geo-web.org.uk/SR1_Support_files/SR1CFG_DVBS2_ACTIVE_only-updates-DVBS2-radio-cfg_allversions.zip http://www.geo-web.org.uk/SR1_Support_files/SR1CFG_DVBS2_ACTIVE_only-updates-DVBS2-radio-cfg_allversions.zip
This config file does not change any of your network settings that you amy ahev adapted to your situation.

Good luck,
Arne van Belle

Von: "a.van.belle@hccnet.nl [MSG-1]"
<MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>
Datum: 30 Dec 2014 13:26:09 -0800
Betreff: Re: [MSG-1] SR1, no lock, margins?
Antwort an: <MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>

Good luck,
Arne,

thanks for this bright spot cast on the obvious! I relied totally on the term
"preconfigured", but don't have to blame anybody. At least, for DVB-S. the box
came really optimally preconfigured.

I'll let you know shortly about the outcome.

Cheers, totsien, bedankt!

U.

Ulrich G. Kliegis

Von: "a.van.belle@hccnet.nl [MSG-1]"
<MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>
Datum: 30 Dec 2014 13:26:09 -0800

http://www.geo-web.org.uk/SR1_Support_files/SR1CFG_DVBS2_ACTIVE_only-u
pdat es-DVBS2-radio-cfg_allversions.zip This config file does not
change any of your network settings that you amy ahev adapted to your
situation.
Hello again, Arne,

just tried to run that update tool, but it says it demands .net 4.*. Working on an XP
machine there, the flag pole ends at the 3.5 mark.

Is it necessary to get a WIN7-PC closer to the receiver to get this done or is there a
workaround?

TIA,
cheers,
U.

Ulrich G. Kliegis

An: <MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>
Priorität: normal
Von: "'Ulrich G. Kliegis' Ulrich.Kliegis@kliegis.de [MSG-1]"
<MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>
Datum: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 22:53:10 +0100
Antwort an: <MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>

Is it necessary to get a WIN7-PC closer to the receiver to get this
done or is there a workaround?
Yabbadabbabbadeebibbbeeedeeebbeeedooooo!

Just entered the few parameters manually according to the Eumetsat manual, and
whooosh - zero errors over some minutes - without adjusting the LNB yet correctly.
That will be done next.

Cheering cheers,

U.

a_van_belle

Good news Ulrich,

Yes you can always set the required parameters for DVB-S2 manually. All info is on the Eumetsat site.

dotnet 4.0 should be possible on XP according to this link:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dotnet/p/dotnet4xp.aspx http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dotnet/p/dotnet4xp.aspx

About thresholds, please read David's site
http://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/dvb-s2/ http://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/dvb-s2/

"Update - Ayecka threshold settings for best performance: With the recent solar outage in October 2014 there was a chance to evaluate the best settings for link margin to get the best from this receiver. If the receiver is set for Basic Service reception alone, EUMETSAT are recommending that the link margin be set to Lower: -0.6 dB, upper -0.3 dB, i.e. a 0.3 dB difference. These allow the maximum amount of data through based on EUMETSAT's own measurements. As there may be some variation in receiver performance, and as I like to allow a little margin, I have now set my receivers to -0.5/-0.3 dB. Use the System Menu (option 4), RX Link Margin Thresholds (option G) to check or set these items.
If you are using the High Volume Service as well, EUMETSAT currently recommend the thresholds be set to +0.5/+0.6 dB, i.e. a 0.1 dB difference, although this will also apply to the Basic Service as well thus causing it to stop at a higher margin than is optimum. Selection of different thresholds for the two service types is planned a future release of the SR1 software. "

Greetings,
Arne van Belle

Ulrich G. Kliegis

An: <MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>
Von: "a.van.belle@hccnet.nl [MSG-1]"
<MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>
Datum: 30 Dec 2014 16:12:37 -0800
Antwort an: <MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>

About thresholds, please read David's site
Hello, Arne,

thanks for that pointer. It confirms: Nearly everything is written down somewhere
already, but sometimes something else blocks the view to the obvious.

And: Entering the parameters manually helps me intrinsically to learn more about
the (literal) black box in front of me. I mentioned to David already the nostalgic
feelings when I fine-tuned my first completely homebuilt Meteosat-receiver (also
with that little help from some friends, two of them are also members of this list,
hello Klaus, hello Per :) !
At least the nightly trip to the dish out in the rainy dark resembled the old times -
sheesh, is it already 30 years ago?

Here is my latest SR1 status:

=================
SR1c Serial No. 111338 30AAC Run Time: 0:02:36
Software Version 1.05b250 Hardware Version 2.10 Firmware Version 2.02b922

RX1: Active, Locked
EUMETCast DVB-S2 1513.000 MHz, DVB-S2 16APSK 2/3, 32.994 Msps, ACM,
10.4 dB

=================

A very happy and successful and healthy new year to everybody!

And again: Thanks to all you people who made this possible, in the fore- and
background, including the mates who provide the essential background to make
this hobby feasible. And of course also to all the friendly people at Eumetsat who
enable us to do all that! Let's take it from here!

Cheers,
U.

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

Hello again, Arne,

just tried to run that update tool, but it says it demands .net 4.*. Working on an XP
machine there, the flag pole ends at the 3.5 mark.

Is it necessary to get a WIN7-PC closer to the receiver to get this done or is there a
workaround?

TIA,
cheers,
U.
==================================

Interesting, Ulrich. According to the EUMETSAT guide only .NET 3.5 is required, although it uses the term ".NET 3.5+". However, here are the instructions for installing 4.0 on XP from a Microsoft blog:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dotnet/p/dotnet4xp.aspx

.NET 4.5 is what is not supported, though, on XP.

Glad to hear you are enjoying yourself!

Ulrich G. Kliegis

Von: "'Ulrich G. Kliegis' Ulrich.Kliegis@kliegis.de [MSG-1]"
<MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>
Datum: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 09:33:29 +0100

Thanks to all you people who made this possible, in the fore-
and background, including the mates who provide the essential
background to make this hobby feasible.
Sorry for my imperfect english: This should read "spouses and mates" - and
whoever else matches that support group.

Now,

cheers,
U.