Topics

New version of BUFRdisplay for NPP data, including Linux


fbreame
 

For any BUFR enthusiasts, I now have a new version of BUFRdisplay available on my www site at www.elnath.org.uk (version 0.4.0).

The main changes allow it to handle the new ATMS and CrIS NPP files from EUMETCast. They includes extensive updates to the BUFR tables, which hopefully will also allow it to handle a greater range of BUFR data.

For the first time, I also have put up versions of it for Linux. I have developed it under Ubuntu 12.04, but I have not been able to test it under any other versions of Linux. I would therefore be very interested to lean if it will run on other Linux systems, and would be grateful for any feedback. There are 32- and 64-bit versions – the 32-bit version will not run under a 64-bit Linux, so you will need to use the correct one.

If this is successful, I will shortly issue Linux versions of BUFEextract.

Francis Breame


Ian Deans
 

Francis,

Many thanks for the update. The new NPP is displaying perfectly, but as it is coming in at times out of order, it is better to leave it for a few hours and then display it without gaps.
I shall be checking other data as well, but at the moment I cannot spend much time on my hobby due to caring duties.

Regards
Ian.

----- Original Message -----
From: "fbreame" <vf0123@btinternet.com>
To: <MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:47 AM
Subject: [MSG-1] New version of BUFRdisplay for NPP data, including Linux


For any BUFR enthusiasts, I now have a new version of BUFRdisplay available on my www site at www.elnath.org.uk (version 0.4.0).

The main changes allow it to handle the new ATMS and CrIS NPP files from EUMETCast. They includes extensive updates to the BUFR tables, which hopefully will also allow it to handle a greater range of BUFR data.

For the first time, I also have put up versions of it for Linux. I have developed it under Ubuntu 12.04, but I have not been able to test it under any other versions of Linux. I would therefore be very interested to lean if it will run on other Linux systems, and would be grateful for any feedback. There are 32- and 64-bit versions - the 32-bit version will not run under a 64-bit Linux, so you will need to use the correct one.

If this is successful, I will shortly issue Linux versions of BUFEextract.

Francis Breame


Ian Deans
 

The previous mail I sent should of course read ---- The new NPP sounder data is displaying perfectly etc. Telephone call interrupted preparation.

Thanks
Ian.


fbreame
 

--- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Deans" <iandeans142@...> wrote:

Francis,

Many thanks for the update. The new NPP is displaying perfectly, but as it
is coming in at times out of order, it is better to leave it for a few hours
and then display it without gaps.
I shall be checking other data as well, but at the moment I cannot spend
much time on my hobby due to caring duties.

Regards
Ian.
Glad to hear that it's working, Ian. I apologise for the delay, but it's been a busy summer!

Francis


Simon Proud <simon.proud@...>
 

Hello Francis,
I just tested this on one of our linux systems (Ubuntu 11.10, 64bit) and
unfortunately it does not run.I get an error stating that GLIBC_2.14 was
not found. A quick google shows that this is because Ubuntu 12.04 uses an
updated GLIBC that is not compatible with older distributions.
Is there any way to remove or down-version that depedancy?

Cheers,
Simon

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 10:47 AM, fbreame <vf0123@btinternet.com> wrote:

**


For any BUFR enthusiasts, I now have a new version of BUFRdisplay
available on my www site at www.elnath.org.uk (version 0.4.0).

The main changes allow it to handle the new ATMS and CrIS NPP files from
EUMETCast. They includes extensive updates to the BUFR tables, which
hopefully will also allow it to handle a greater range of BUFR data.

For the first time, I also have put up versions of it for Linux. I have
developed it under Ubuntu 12.04, but I have not been able to test it under
any other versions of Linux. I would therefore be very interested to lean
if it will run on other Linux systems, and would be grateful for any
feedback. There are 32- and 64-bit versions the 32-bit version will not
run under a 64-bit Linux, so you will need to use the correct one.

If this is successful, I will shortly issue Linux versions of BUFEextract.

Francis Breame



fbreame
 

--- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, Simon Proud <simon.proud@...> wrote:

Hello Francis,
I just tested this on one of our linux systems (Ubuntu 11.10, 64bit) and
unfortunately it does not run.I get an error stating that GLIBC_2.14 was
not found. A quick google shows that this is because Ubuntu 12.04 uses an
updated GLIBC that is not compatible with older distributions.
Is there any way to remove or down-version that depedancy?

Cheers,
Simon
Thanks for the feedback, Simon - it's just what I was after, as I was afraid something like this would happen. I would like to try and work around this business of incompatible system libraries, having been bitten by it already. I've a few other jobs to finish first, but will have a look at it asap.

By the way, if you are using the Windows version and wondered what happened to the 'Locations' button I put in for you earlier this year, it's now activated by a -l (ell) command line option. I felt that it might not be generally useful and might confuse things.

Francis


Simon Proud <simon.proud@...>
 

No worries, happy to help - linux compatibility is a major headache.
Today I tried the windows version (with -l) and it works great! Loads with
no problems and it works with the majority of BUFR files we produce, aside
from the NWC-SAF files that we talked about before.
FYI I list below the NWC-SAF files that work and don't work. Don't think
this is me asking for more stuff (!) but I thought you'd like to know, in
case anyone else asks about them:
AMA T-ridge: Works, displays data nicely.
AMA WV strip: displays message 'not supported BUFR format'
RDT: Program hangs on opening the file.
ASII IRAMV and WVAMV: Both load but simply show a lat/lon grid of points on
map generation. I think this is because it is 'location' data (lots of data
fields, one for each point) but each point is also a vector (with U + V
components). Saving to csv file works perfectly, though.

Thanks again for the work you've put in - we all really appreciate it here
in Copenhagen!
Hope you've enjoyed the weekend,
Simon

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 12:09 PM, fbreame <vf0123@btinternet.com> wrote:

**


--- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, Simon Proud <simon.proud@...> wrote:

Hello Francis,
I just tested this on one of our linux systems (Ubuntu 11.10, 64bit) and
unfortunately it does not run.I get an error stating that GLIBC_2.14 was
not found. A quick google shows that this is because Ubuntu 12.04 uses an
updated GLIBC that is not compatible with older distributions.
Is there any way to remove or down-version that depedancy?

Cheers,
Simon
Thanks for the feedback, Simon - it's just what I was after, as I was
afraid something like this would happen. I would like to try and work
around this business of incompatible system libraries, having been bitten
by it already. I've a few other jobs to finish first, but will have a look
at it asap.

By the way, if you are using the Windows version and wondered what
happened to the 'Locations' button I put in for you earlier this year, it's
now activated by a -l (ell) command line option. I felt that it might not
be generally useful and might confuse things.

Francis