Topics

Lot of missing segments (Windows 7)

daniarnedo

Hi,

I am trying to set up my new EUMETCast reception PC under Windows 7 and I am having a lot of missing segments. Statistics of Tellicast 2.4.4a show lot of "missed packets before FEC". With the same antenna I am using a second and very old PC with Win XP working without any looses. Both, have 0 value for BER at Setup4pc GUI.

I have tested with other Skystar2 Card but I get the same result. I have disabled all windows services recomended by Eumetsat. Search indexing seemd to be the trick, but there is something more.

I have tuned the system to best performance, and just receiving Channel 2. Ramdisk for tem file...

I see some of you have the eumetcast pc working under WIN7, did you find something that really makes the difference to have the system working without looses. I'm thinking about going back to WinXP for this new pc also.....

Any comment highly appreciated.

Dan.

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

[...]

Dan,

The single-core Windows XP receive-only PC (with an old 1.9 GHz Pentium 4) is essentially lossless. It has a SkyStar 2.6D PCI card, and a 100 Mb/s network interface. For 24 x 7 operation, having a two-PC system means that you can take your processing PC down for those all-important Windows Updates without losing any data.

I have three Windows-7 systems which are both receiving and processing, and perhaps I have been unlucky but none are completely lossless even after trying to trim as many services etc. as I could:

- PC Alta which is a recent quad-core PC is almost completely lossless, even though it has a 1 Gb/s network interface. It's using the DVB World USB-connected receiver. Some network-intense operations (1 GB downloads and large transfers between PCs) can produce missed packets which are not recovered. However, this PC is becoming my main interactive PC, so I would expect more losses to come.

- PC Stamsund has a hyper-threaded processor and SkyStar 2.6D PCI card, receiving and processing Meteosat-8 and Meteosat-9 data. I needed to turn down the network speed from 1 Gb/s to 100 Mb/s to achieve near-lossless operation, and even now if I burn a DVD or do some other disk-intensive operations I can lose data.

- PC Hydra is a very old Compaq with a single-core AMD processor, trying to receive the full EUMETCast stream (including all the Metop data) with the exception of Rapid-Scan. It's overloaded, and no longer typical of what might be in use today.

So if you can run XP without loss, I would ask, "Why change?".

Do also note that recently there have been a few missed packets seen across Europe - I'm talking about 2 missed and two recovered yesterday, for example, not very large numbers. But there have also been some weather-related outages at the uplink station a week or two back. So it may be worth checking what others a are reporting if it's just the occasional packet which is missing. There are some graphs here:

http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_eumetcast-europe-packets.php

Alan Banks <alan@...>

Just another thought.
Have you turned off system restore and reduced your pagefile size? I gather that this can be rather large even if one has a lot of RAM. Mine is 12Gb (close to minimum recommended on my system) on system disc only. I use another disc for Tellicast and data. This seems contrary to 32 bit systems where more seems to be better.
I have a Win 7 64 bit system and DVB World USB box with nearly lossless reception of MET 9, Met 7, FSB, Metop AVHRR and Modis. I also process using two instances of MSG DM, Animator and Modis L1 on the same PC. Even weekly intense defragging causes no losses.
Lossless Win7 Rx is possible - honest! The occasional heavy downpour or pidgeon on the LNB arm notwithstanding.
Alan

On 11/07/2012 16:05, Daniel wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to set up my new EUMETCast reception PC under Windows 7 and I am having a lot of missing segments.

Ian Deans

I can only concur with Alan that I too used a Windows 7 64-bit computer with a Dexatek Box ( same as DVBWorld Box ) for both receiving and processing with literally zero losses outwith those at the Eumesat end and severe weather.

The biggest challenge was getting the Dexatek / DVBWorld box to work with Windows 7 64-bit as there is no driver support for these boxes since 2010 and the latest 6 drivers ( 2009/2010) will not work. However I am now running Windows 8 64-bit and unfortunately the Dexatek Box will not work with that operating system ( not surprisingly ) so I am testing my 8 year old SkyStar card and a new Technisat HD USB box. I will report the results in due course and I would expect that Technisat will have Windows 8 drivers available near to the Windows 8 launch due in a few months.

Have you turned off system restore and reduced your pagefile size? I
gather that this can be rather large even if one has a lot of RAM. Mine
is 12Gb (close to minimum recommended on my system) on system disc only.
I use another disc for Tellicast and data. This seems contrary to 32 bit
systems where more seems to be better.
I have a Win 7 64 bit system and DVB World USB box with nearly lossless
reception of MET 9, Met 7, FSB, Metop AVHRR and Modis. I also process
using two instances of MSG DM, Animator and Modis L1 on the same PC.
Even weekly intense defragging causes no losses.
Lossless Win7 Rx is possible - honest! The occasional heavy downpour or
pidgeon on the LNB arm notwithstanding.
Alan

daniarnedo

Thanks David, Ian and Alan for sharing your experience.

I'll try some more changes to the OS, my looses are very important, up to 25% some RC with just Channel2 and no processing at all. However, I will finally install WinXP and see which problems of drivers arise...

Best Regards.

--- In MSG-1@..., "Daniel" <daniarnedo@...> wrote:

[...]

Ulrich G. Kliegis

An: <MSG-1@...>
Von: "David J Taylor" <gm8arv@...>
Datum: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 08:38:18 +0100
Betreff: Re: [MSG-1] Lot of missing segments (Windows 7)
Antwort an: MSG-1@...

But there have also been some
weather-related outages at the uplink station a week or two back.
So it
may be worth checking what others a are reporting if it's just the
occasional packet which is missing. There are some graphs here:

http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_eumetcast-europe-packets.ph
David, Daniel,

clicking on the single graphs in that page reveals some more data - and
looking at the last entry, the yearly statistics, and comparing them shows a
common increase of missed packets since the beginning of this soaked
summer. Surprising, but then, there were days when not much air was left in
the water.

http://www.kn-online.de/Lokales/Fotostrecken-Lokales/Unwetter-in-
Kiel/%28from%29/1302654/%28mode%29/full/%28offset%29/1

Let's say, it's all about the weather...

Windows are supposed to protect you against the non-amicabilities of the
weather, windows 7 seems to be odd-designed in that view. I stick to XP for
the time being. Despite some lost segments - which I even was not really
aware of.

Cheers,
U.

P.S.: David, would it be possible for you to re-activate the "quotation marker"
in your mail client? In a pure text-based mail reader, differentiating between
your and others' texts was easier some time ago. If I may say so...

Von: "David J Taylor" <gm8arv@...>
Datum: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 09:30:01 +0100
Antwort an: MSG-1@...

[...]

The problem seems to be with the Mother Board Chipset and not with the OS. C200 from Intel seems to be not compatible with Skystar2 PCI.

Best Regards.

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

Hi,

The problem seems to be with the Mother Board Chipset and not with the OS. C200 from Intel seems to be not compatible with Skystar2 PCI.

Best Regards.

Dan,

You may want to try one of the DVB World USB boxes from the GEO Shop:

http://www.geo-web.org.uk/shop.html

A USB 2.0 hi-speed port is needed.

Ulrich G. Kliegis

Daniel,
make sure that there are no other unexpected reasons for snail-speed data.
This happened here some time ago:

http://rummelecke.de/lnbs-new_multifeed/page-0013.htm

Eumetsat distributed their data via hotbird at that time.

The LNBs and dish have been replaced since, but not due to the pictured
beast.

Cheers,
U.

An: MSG-1@...
Von: "Daniel" <daniarnedo@...>
Datum: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 15:54:08 -0000
Betreff: [MSG-1] Re: Lot of missing segments (Windows 7)
Antwort an: MSG-1@...

The problem seems to be with the Mother Board Chipset and not with
the OS.
C200 from Intel seems to be not compatible with Skystar2 PCI.

Ulrich G. Kliegis

http://rummelecke.de/lnbs-new_multifeed/page-0013.htm
Eumetsat distributed their data via hotbird at that time.
The LNBs and dish have been replaced since, but not due to the
pictured beast.
As a follow-up: That freshly-toasted look of the LNBs was caused by the
very reflective surface of that trendy transparent Thomson dish I used at that
time. When the sun as in line with the satellites, not only the Eumetsat signal
was focused on the LNBs. I'm glad they did not burn down, taking the house
with them.

Cheers,
U.