Topics

not yet perfect, but...

Ulrich G. Kliegis

... at least something visible..
pls have a look at

http://eumetmon.rummelecke.de/

I'll change the 2.columns-design to single and will apply a few more touches
- also including your suggestions.

I'd like to add a link to David's page - what would be the optimal link
address, David? You should - if you haven't already, provide a ready-2-
implant banner that people using your software could add to their pages and
linklists... Maybe, if you find the time... :)

Cheers, and again thanks to all who were actively or just mentally engaged
:)

U.

David J Taylor

... at least something visible..
pls have a look at

http://eumetmon.rummelecke.de/

I'll change the 2.columns-design to single and will apply a few more touches
- also including your suggestions.
That's great, Ulrich. That page is entirely under your control and can reflect the personality of your system.

I'd like to add a link to David's page - what would be the optimal link
address, David? You should - if you haven't already, provide a ready-2-
implant banner that people using your software could add to their pages and
linklists... Maybe, if you find the time... :)

Cheers, and again thanks to all who were actively or just mentally engaged
:)

U.
I'd like to know your dish size, Ulrich, so that I can ensure that the information I'm just editing can be accurate.

Yes, it would be nice to have a "Powered by SatSignal Software" logo or something!

Ulrich G. Kliegis

An: <MSG-1@...>
Von: "David J Taylor" <gm8arv@...>
Datum: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 13:24:59 -0000
Betreff: Re: [MSG-1] not yet perfect, but...
Antwort an: MSG-1@...

I'd like to know your dish size, Ulrich, so that I can ensure that the
information I'm just editing can be accurate.
It's the Wavefrontier T90 toroidal monster (the one with not only the smallest
waf, but even minimum rofaf (rest of family acceptance factor)), but i like the
dBs :) . Nominally 90 cm diameter. It looks larger, though.

The signal quality and strength could become even more robust - I did not
feel like readjusting it after the gales we had her some weeks ago. EB9 is
back (it's in the center position) (see my earlier posting on that), but the TV
progs from Astra and Hotbird are not yet, so I guess it's a degree or one and
a half that it is still off it's peak level. Persisting ice and snow kept me off
readjusting it.

Cheers,
U.

David J Taylor

It's the Wavefrontier T90 toroidal monster (the one with not only the smallest
waf, but even minimum rofaf (rest of family acceptance factor)), but i like the
dBs :) . Nominally 90 cm diameter. It looks larger, though.
Thanks, I've updated that.

The signal quality and strength could become even more robust - I did not
feel like readjusting it after the gales we had her some weeks ago. EB9 is
back (it's in the center position) (see my earlier posting on that), but the TV
progs from Astra and Hotbird are not yet, so I guess it's a degree or one and
a half that it is still off it's peak level. Persisting ice and snow kept me off
readjusting it.

Cheers,
U.
I hope you will be able to tweak it when the weather is better - today would be an ideal day here, glorious sunshine and all of +6C outside!

I've added your data to these pages:

http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_eumetcast-europe.php
http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/EumetcastEurope_throughput.php

Could I ask that the throughput graphs be made 600 pixels wide, by setting XSize=500:

http://eumetmon.rummelecke.de/windbuedel_dvb.html

I found the easiest way to ensure consistency is with include files, using the common setting for time zone and number of points - so in mrtg.cfg, for example:

.
.
# These are default values
XSize[_]: 500
Timezone[_]: GMT
.
.
Include: cpu.inc
Include: eumetcast.inc
Include: disk.inc
.
.

Thanks,

Ulrich G. Kliegis

An: <MSG-1@...>
Von: "David J Taylor" <gm8arv@...>
Datum: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 15:44:06 -0000
Antwort an: MSG-1@...

Could I ask that the throughput graphs be made 600 pixels wide, by
setting XSize=500:
David, the graphs should be 600 pixels wide now. There seem to be two
ways to achieve that: a), as you mentioned, setting xsize (100 less than the
desired width) b) there is an CLI option for the perl - indexmaker program
contained in the package that allows to set the width as well - whereas I am
not sure if that would just rescale the png file.

So, please check the new size now. As you see, I also arranged them in one
column now.

I was irritated by the short SNR reduction at 11:40 UT today, then saw that
others had registered that too, but those farther in the south to a lesser til no
extent. Sun-colinearity with EB9?

BTW, I started mrtg with wperl instead of perl now, one window less, and no
accidental killing of the monitoring.

Cheers,
U.

David J Taylor

David, the graphs should be 600 pixels wide now. There seem to be two
ways to achieve that: a), as you mentioned, setting xsize (100 less than the
desired width) b) there is an CLI option for the perl - indexmaker program
contained in the package that allows to set the width as well - whereas I am
not sure if that would just rescale the png file.

So, please check the new size now. As you see, I also arranged them in one
column now.
Yes, that's fine. Using the XSize means that that actual image will be 600 pixels, and it's not rescaled from 500 pixels. I haven't used the indexmaker program you mention. It would be nice if you could let the throughput graph rescale automatically, though. Here's the essence of what I have:

Target[Alta_DVB]: 15:public@Alta
MaxBytes[Alta_DVB]: 12500000
Options[Alta_DVB]: unknaszero, growright, noo
.
._____________________________________________

I was irritated by the short SNR reduction at 11:40 UT today, then saw that
others had registered that too, but those farther in the south to a lesser til no
extent. Sun-colinearity with EB9?

BTW, I started mrtg with wperl instead of perl now, one window less, and no
accidental killing of the monitoring.

Cheers,
U.
Yes, that's co-linearity at your end with EB9. You could even compare the times and the depths to track the sun across Europe!

I set the taskbar to auto-hide, so I don't normally see the MRTG window. I set the icon to be the MRTG icon rather than the command-prompt icon, to further reduce the chance of closing the wrong window.

I'm sure others will find your monitoring useful, as you are now the only station in Germany. I was surprised to find you so far north, actually! We pass through the Kiel Kanal in later May, overnight and not stopping unfortunately, but will will give you a wave!

Ulrich G. Kliegis

An: <MSG-1@...>
Von: "David J Taylor" <gm8arv@...>
Datum: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 21:40:18 -0000
Antwort an: MSG-1@...

We pass through the Kiel Kanal in later May, overnight and not
stopping unfortunately, but will will give you a wave!
Just give me a shout in time, a view of the locks is 5 minutes walk from
here.
I just finished doing the re-scaling and re-labeling work, should match your
preferences now too.

My maxbytes is set to 5.000.000 now, which is 40 Mbits/s. Average values
seem to be far from that.

The "unscaled" command seems to do just the opposite, or am I logically
mirrored? My understanding was that "scaled" would refer to the maxbytes
value, uncaled to no fixed value. It works just the other way round, I think.
But I never understood sys admins, so, don't worry... :)

I have to apologize too for getting behind in the updating of the german
versions. Let's communicate that in PMs please in the next time...

Who said too many ideas too little time here some hours ago?

;)
Cheers,
U.

David J Taylor

Just give me a shout in time, a view of the locks is 5 minutes walk from
here.
I'll let you know nearer the time.

I just finished doing the re-scaling and re-labeling work, should match your
preferences now too.

My maxbytes is set to 5.000.000 now, which is 40 Mbits/s. Average values
seem to be far from that.

The "unscaled" command seems to do just the opposite, or am I logically
mirrored? My understanding was that "scaled" would refer to the maxbytes
value, uncaled to no fixed value. It works just the other way round, I think.
But I never understood sys admins, so, don't worry... :)

I have to apologize too for getting behind in the updating of the german
versions. Let's communicate that in PMs please in the next time...

Who said too many ideas too little time here some hours ago?

;)
Cheers,
U.
May I ask, Ulrich, that you revert to bytes per second? Whilst I agree that bits/second may be a more logical unit in this case, as virtually all the other graphs are in bytes, having your in bytes as well makes for an easier comparison. Don't worry about the scaling, as it's now OK.

"Unscaled" - means "don't alter the scaling to match the data", so "AGC off" if you like.

When you have time to update the German translations, just get in touch, but there haven't been any major changes, as far as I know, just a few extra words and phrases.

Ulrich G. Kliegis

An: <MSG-1@...>
Von: "David J Taylor" <gm8arv@...>
Datum: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 08:03:13 -0000
Antwort an: MSG-1@...

May I ask, Ulrich, that you revert to bytes per second? Whilst I
agree that bits/second may be a more logical unit in this case, as
virtually all the other graphs are in bytes, having your in bytes as
well makes for an easier comparison.
No problem - I'll look at it in the afternoon. I guess I'll just have to pluck the
"bits" out of the option parameters, right?

Cheers,
U.

David J Taylor

May I ask, Ulrich, that you revert to bytes per second? Whilst I
agree that bits/second may be a more logical unit in this case, as
virtually all the other graphs are in bytes, having your in bytes as
well makes for an easier comparison.
No problem - I'll look at it in the afternoon. I guess I'll just have to pluck the
"bits" out of the option parameters, right?

Cheers,
U.
Yes, see:

http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/doc/mrtg-reference.en.html

Ulrich G. Kliegis

Set back to bytes / s.
I think the bits/ s was imported from the helpful cfg example I received from
where the other bit-pit is still visible -

I also purged the ytics=3 in the dvb-section but it stayed like it is.

Cheers,
U.

May I ask, Ulrich, that you revert to bytes per second? Whilst I
agree that bits/second may be a more logical unit in this case, as
virtually all the other graphs are in bytes, having your in bytes as
well makes for an easier comparison. Don't worry about the scaling,
as it's now OK.

David J Taylor

Set back to bytes / s.
I think the bits/ s was imported from the helpful cfg example I received from
where the other bit-pit is still visible -
Yes, I noticed! <G>

I also purged the ytics=3 in the dvb-section but it stayed like it is.

Cheers,
U.
The 3-ticks has gone in most of the graphs, but the yearly graph is only updated once a day, unless you delete the PNG files, and restart MRTG or wait for its next run. I can see that I must update your location, as you've now given it more accurately on the page:

http://eumetmon.rummelecke.de/windbuedel_dvb.html

Many thanks for setting this up. I know that EUMETSAT do look at the pages and take an interest in them.

Ulrich G. Kliegis

An: <MSG-1@...>
Von: "David J Taylor" <gm8arv@...>
Datum: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 14:18:23 -0000
Antwort an: MSG-1@...

Many thanks for setting this up. I know that EUMETSAT do look at the
pages and take an interest in them.
Glad to be able to feed them something back ;)

It's rewarding to see that something like that can be accomplished and
finished in a few days. If one considers the involved technology down to the
transistor level - surprising that it works, somehow miraculous.

Thanks again for your assistance, and - hey folks, it's fun, we might like to
see some more greens growing.

Cheers,
U.

James Brown

I can see that I must update your location, as
you've now given it more accurately on the page:
David - I notice on your monitoring page there is the option for WX data if there is a home weather station - if you wish you could add the one below to the Porthcawl one - it is updated every 10 minutes and runs 24/7.

Cheers

James

http://www.meteosat.co.uk/Porthcawl/

--
James Brown

David J Taylor

David - I notice on your monitoring page there is the option for WX data
if there is a home weather station - if you wish you could add the one
below to the Porthcawl one - it is updated every 10 minutes and runs
24/7.

Cheers

James

http://www.meteosat.co.uk/Porthcawl/
Added - ISS pass due now!

James Brown

In message <DC907E03EB364CD0A76FC62CDA375CA7@narvik>, David J Taylor <gm8arv@...> writes
David - I notice on your monitoring page there is the option for WX data
if there is a home weather station - if you wish you could add the one
below to the Porthcawl one - it is updated every 10 minutes and runs
24/7.

Cheers

James

http://www.meteosat.co.uk/Porthcawl/
Added - ISS pass due now!

Thanks David - 8 octa's of cloud here :-((

I've also changed the MRTG to read bytes now as per your suggestion .

Thanks again,

James
--
James Brown

Ulrich G. Kliegis

Many thanks for setting this up. I know that EUMETSAT do look at the
pages and take an interest in them.
Just added FSY size and missed packets graphs. See
www.eumetmon.rummelecke.de

Is there a simple and not too resources-hungry way to determine the free
space on the HDDs? I'd like to plot that too, if possible.

Cheers,
U.

(if you wonder what "rummelecke" is and don't find in your dictionary - that's
right. It is a family-idiom, standing for corners where unsorted items
sedimentate. My office is such a place...)

Ulrich G. Kliegis

I know that EUMETSAT do look at the
pages and take an interest in them.
I forgot to mention that I changed the upload interval from 20 to 10 mins. My
data seemed to lag a bit behind most others'.

Cheers,
U.

David J Taylor

Just added FSY size and missed packets graphs. See
www.eumetmon.rummelecke.de
I just tried, and got: "Hier entsteht eine neue Internetpr�senz! ", but I'm sure you meant:
http://eumetmon.rummelecke.de/

I've added your packet loss (which should be much nearer zero, by the way).

Is there a simple and not too resources-hungry way to determine the free
space on the HDDs? I'd like to plot that too, if possible.

Cheers,
U.

(if you wonder what "rummelecke" is and don't find in your dictionary - that's
right. It is a family-idiom, standing for corners where unsorted items
sedimentate. My office is such a place...)
Danke!

There are some notes on disk space here:

http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_howto.php#DiskSpace

and it's not really satisfactory. You can get the disk used, but not the percent used, and not the disk free. Even worse, the entries are an index into the disk table, and those entry numbers change if, for example, you plug in a USB memory stick. I've not found an easy way to do this in Perl (without add 3rd party modules), so I really should write a small Delphi program with takes one or two HD names as parameters (e.g. C: E:), and has an option to return percent used, percent free, MB used or MB free as the integer result. Maybe one day? Maybe someone else would write something?

I upload at 15 minute intervals - sort of consistent with Meteosat-9 scans, but the more frequent the better.

Ulrich G. Kliegis

An: <MSG-1@...>
Von: "David J Taylor" <gm8arv@...>
Datum: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 10:55:00 -0000