Ulrich G. Kliegis

From the MRTG-homepage:

Changes 2.17.2, 2011-02-20
--------------------------
From: Tobi
* can not replace a file by renaming another to its name under WIN32
fix in rateup #104

http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/pub/CHANGES

It seems it took Tobi Oetiker, author of MRTG, two iterations to get
this bug fixed. No more error messages now with version 2.17.2,

Just FYI

Cheers,
U.

David J Taylor

It seems it took Tobi Oetiker, author of MRTG, two iterations to get this bug
fixed. No more error messages now with version 2.17.2, tomorrow I'll try to
achieve a contiuous operation.

So, after all, all is well.

Thanks to David and Giuseppe for their "quality time", as Tobi put it for the
time he invested in debugging.

Cheers,
U.
I checked and it's 2.17.0 I have on the 64-bit Win-7 PC, so should I have seen the problem as well, Ulrich? I'm slightly surprised that a stable component which has been in so long (i.e. rateup.exe) needed modification - FYI mine is 2220.208 bytes, and dated: 09:15 (UTC) 2010-Dec-15, and there is no built-in version information (right-click, Properties, Details tab).

David J Taylor

From the MRTG-homepage:

Changes 2.17.2, 2011-02-20
--------------------------
From: Tobi
* can not replace a file by renaming another to its name under WIN32
fix in rateup #104

http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/pub/CHANGES

It seems it took Tobi Oetiker, author of MRTG, two iterations to get
this bug fixed. No more error messages now with version 2.17.2,

Just FYI

Cheers,
U.
Amazes me that in /any/ operating system you can simply overwrite an existing file by doing the operation:

rename <my-new-file> <your-existing-file>

Oh, well!

Thanks for the info.

Giuseppe Cico

Ulrich,
I'm glad you solved the problem.
Unfortunately I
couldn't follow evolution because some hectic days about a
serious family problem, now going to solution.
I always try to
face life in optimistic way.

Ciao from Turin, where it's
snowing now

Giuseppe

On Sun, February 27, 2011
22:22, Ulrich G. Kliegis wrote:
From the MRTG-homepage:

Changes 2.17.2, 2011-02-20
--------------------------
From: Tobi
* can
not replace a file by renaming another to its name under WIN32
fix in rateup #104

http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/pub/CHANGES

It seems
it took Tobi Oetiker, author of MRTG, two iterations to get
this bug fixed. No more error messages now with version 2.17.2,

Just FYI

Cheers,
U.

Ulrich G. Kliegis

Amazes me that in /any/ operating system you can simply overwrite an
existing file by doing the operation:

rename <my-new-file> <your-existing-file>

Oh, well!
David,
exactly my thoughts. I guess that that's to be understood as a macro
standing for something like

{
rename <existing> <sorted_out>
rename <new.tmp> <existing>
delete <sorted_out>
}

plus some if_error-workarounds...

It ran overnight here now in the daemonized version (of course I had yet to
try that last night), and the results look pretty much like the ones on your
collection page.

I am still not sure about the scaling of the dvb-traffic graph. It either looked
like a fine scottish golf green or like a corn field on dope. I scaled it to 48
Mbits/s now which seems to catch peaks and still shows enough detail. I
understand that all these values are average counts, so, the single fast burst
won't appear, right?

I'll be back with more questions, hopefully not about external bugs...

Cheers,
U.

Ulrich G. Kliegis

An: <MSG-1@...>
Von: "David J Taylor" <gm8arv@...>
Datum: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 06:34:38 -0000
Betreff: Re: [MSG-1] s o l v e d ! write permission for
rateup.exe - was: Getting MRTG to work
Antwort an: MSG-1@...

I checked and it's 2.17.0 I have on the 64-bit Win-7 PC, so should I
have seen the problem as well, Ulrich?
David,

the change log mentions that only the win32 version was affected.

Cheers,

U.

David J Taylor

I checked and it's 2.17.0 I have on the 64-bit Win-7 PC, so should I
have seen the problem as well, Ulrich?
David,
the change log mentions that only the win32 version was affected. Cheers,
U.
It's a common version - runs as 32-bit under Win-7/64-bit

David J Taylor

David,
exactly my thoughts. I guess that that's to be understood as a macro
standing for something like

{
rename <existing> <sorted_out>
rename <new.tmp> <existing>
delete <sorted_out>
}

plus some if_error-workarounds...
Well, what ever, it is (to me) at such a low level of code that I would not expect it to be changed. Oh, well, it's fixed now. And from your previous comment, it's possible that the problem only shows under Win32, and that the same code runs OK under Win-64.

It ran overnight here now in the daemonized version (of course I had yet to
try that last night), and the results look pretty much like the ones on your
collection page.

I am still not sure about the scaling of the dvb-traffic graph. It either looked
like a fine scottish golf green or like a corn field on dope. I scaled it to 48
Mbits/s now which seems to catch peaks and still shows enough detail. I
understand that all these values are average counts, so, the single fast burst
won't appear, right?

I'll be back with more questions, hopefully not about external bugs...

Cheers,
U.
I let the traffic graphs auto-scale. The values on the day graph are totals over a 5-minute period, so they are really bytes from T to T+5, but displayed as bytes per second, i.e. bytes / 300 for the five-minute updates in the Day graph.

There is an option to show peak values, but I've not played with it. As MRTG only wakes up every five minutes to read the counters, I don't think that peaks could be shown within that period.

In case I didn't mention it, there is a difference between the DVB World USB box which records all the data on selected PIDs, and the SkyStar PCI card which only records data from channels enabled in recv-channels.ini.

Ulrich G. Kliegis

An: <MSG-1@...>
Von: "David J Taylor" <gm8arv@...>
Datum: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 09:47:54 -0000
rateup.exe - was: Getting MRTG to work
Antwort an: MSG-1@...

In case I didn't mention it, there is a difference between the DVB
World USB box which records all the data on selected PIDs, and the
SkyStar PCI card which only records data from channels enabled in
recv-channels.ini.
I found out about it after re-enabling Ch.5

BTW, did you compose the collection using mrtg's indexmaker utility?
Anybody else?

And: MoveIt Freely seems to have been washed away - not visible any
longer on the IPSwitch-page.

Cheers,
U.

David J Taylor

In case I didn't mention it, there is a difference between the DVB
World USB box which records all the data on selected PIDs, and the
SkyStar PCI card which only records data from channels enabled in
recv-channels.ini.
I found out about it after re-enabling Ch.5
Yes, it means that the graphs aren't strictly comparable between stations, but the lack of throughput /is/ immediately obvious.

BTW, did you compose the collection using mrtg's indexmaker utility?
Anybody else?

And: MoveIt Freely seems to have been washed away - not visible any
longer on the IPSwitch-page.

Cheers,
U.
I just edited HTML, and later PHP, to make my combined pages, if that's what you mean. View Source works in most browsers. If there's a specific page you want the source for, just ask.

Quote: "To download a copy of our MOVEit � Freely Windows command line FTP/secure FTP client, with a free, perpetual use license, just enter your contact information below."

http://www.ipswitchft.com/Products/MOVEitFreely/Evaluation.aspx