Topics

write permission for rateup.exe - was: Getting MRTG to work

Ulrich G. Kliegis

David, Giuseppe, and other MRTGeroes,
the problem in my setup seems to be the write permission for rateup.exe,
which is unexplainable to me. I never experienced any problems with these
access rights on that machine (XP Pro).

The error messsages sent from MRTG / Rateup.exe indicate, though, that
rateup can't rename any *.png.tmp file to the corresponding ~.png file.
It seems to miss to delete the pevious ~png file first.
It writes new ~.tmp files, though.

When I rename a ~png.tmp file to, say, ~2.png, the content shows a correct
result, like a realistic strength value. So, apart from the rewriting function,
most other things look good so far.

I checked the permission properties. The files themselves are fully writable,
no restrictions

The folder(s), though, show a write-protect-box symbol filled with a pale
green square, not the 'v' check mark. I can clear that, but it reappears
immediately. As said, I have not experienced any other permission
restricitons on that machine.

Finally, MRTG somehow thinks it lives on a Win 2000 machine - that's what
the cfgmaker wrote into the mrtg-cfg header block. No idea why, no idea
what consequences this has upon the permission structure.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,U.

David J Taylor

[...]

Ulrich,

My recent installs have been to C:\Tools\MRTG\, where C:\Tools\ was given "everyone" "full control" access when it was created. Obviously, the log-files directory might need similar treatment were it created elsewhere. Perhaps copy the log files somewhere else for the moment and re-create the log directory?

I've not looked at the version guess - I don' think it is anything other than descriptive text.

Ulrich G. Kliegis

An: <MSG-1@...>
Von: "David J Taylor" <gm8arv@...>
Datum: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 12:56:49 -0000
Betreff: Re: [MSG-1] write permission for rateup.exe - was:
Getting MRTG to work
Antwort an: MSG-1@...

My recent installs have been to C:&#92;Tools&#92;MRTG&#92;, where C:&#92;Tools&#92; was
given "everyone" "full control" access when it was created.
Obviously, the log-files directory might need similar treatment were
it created elsewhere. Perhaps copy the log files somewhere else for
the moment and re-create the log directory?
David,
thanks, I had tried that already, created a new virginal directory
c:&#92;mrtg_data and set the pointer in the config file there. No avail.
Strange.

Cheers,
U.

.

David J Taylor

David,
thanks, I had tried that already, created a new virginal directory
c:&#92;mrtg_data and set the pointer in the config file there. No avail.
Strange.

Cheers,
U.
I assume you gave everyone, full control of the directory?

The other possibility, Ulrich, is to change the ownership of the directory, perhaps to everyone. But I just checked on my Win-7/64 PC, and the owner is "David", not "everyone". Are you running MRTG as a service or, like me, just from the Startup directory (menu), and from the command-line when testing?

Ulrich G. Kliegis

I assume you gave everyone, full control of the directory?
Yes, installed with admin rights in XP / 32, no restrictions.

The other possibility, Ulrich, is to change the ownership of the
directory, perhaps to everyone. But I just checked on my Win-7/64 PC,
and the owner is "David", not "everyone". Are you running MRTG as a
service or, like me, just from the Startup directory (menu), and from
the command-line when testing?
Just command line testing so far, no continuous run yet.
Must be a stupid little detail I forgot.
Thanks for your patience, again.

Cheers,
U.

Ulrich G. Kliegis

I assume you gave everyone, full control of the directory?
JFTR: Rebooting did not help either, except that I had to alter the ethernet
interface number from 3 to 2. It was just an idea, but not the right one.

Cheers,
U.

David J Taylor

JFTR: Rebooting did not help either, except that I had to alter the ethernet
interface number from 3 to 2. It was just an idea, but not the right one.

Cheers,
U.
Yes, that's why I said I usually reboot before settling on the interface numbers. Rebooting from cold give consistent values. You have me puzzled on the rateup.exe problem, though. I've simply not seen this on Win-7 systems.

Ulrich G. Kliegis

You have me puzzled
on the rateup.exe problem, though. I've simply not seen this on Win-7
systems.
Maybe a buggy version? I'll contact the author tomorrow.

Cheers,
U.

Ulrich G. Kliegis

You
have me puzzled on the rateup.exe problem, though. I've simply not
seen this on Win-7 systems.

David, just found this:

http://www.mail-archive.com/mrtg@.../

Seems I was not the only one who stumbled over this...

"Messages by Thread

* [mrtg] mrtg-2.17.1 the "BUGFIX" release Tobias Oetiker
o Re: [mrtg] mrtg-2.17.1 the "BUGFIX" release Don Rhodes
* [mrtg] RateUP WARNING : Can`t rename error Chris Blake
o Re: [mrtg] RateUP WARNING : Can`t rename error Steve Shipway
o Re: [mrtg] RateUP WARNING : Can`t rename error Chris Blake

U.