Topics

New to Metop

geoffreygee90

Alan

I have just found further down the Programmes Tree and quite separate to BusinessTV Ip folder............another folder ........received......
which has in it Data Channel 1..... Data channel 2..... Data Channel 4..... Data Channel 4..... and EPS-10.

Am I right in presuming this should be the one on BusinessTV-Ip ? If so how do I get it there ?

Regards................Geoffrey

Alan Sewards

Geoffrey,
Do you really mean that the 'received' folder that you have found is under Program Files, or is it under C:\ (that is, in the c: drive root directory)? It should be the latter, because that is what you have specified in recv_channels.ini. There is nothing wrong with having them in either place, but you must be consistent: you can't have the files going into folders under C:\Program Files\Business TV-IP if you have told METOP to look for them under C:\

Best regards - Alan S

--
Alan Sewards
email: alan@...

duncan

Geoffrey. Without interupting you i hope and this might mean nothing i have noticed you have an # in front of your #temp_directory=receiving/tmp

I may be wrong here but surely this will stop the files being sent to the directory.I am probably wrong so i would verify this with Alan. Regards Duncan

Alan Sewards

Duncan,
The temp_directory is optional and will default to the specified received directory, as is explained in the commented text that follows the line. So it does not matter if it is undefined, although I use it myself for the reason stated.

Best regards - Alan S

On 24/02/2011 12:35 PM, Duncan Edwards wrote:
Geoffrey. Without interupting you i hope and this might mean nothing i
have noticed you have an # in front of your #temp_directory=receiving/tmp

I may be wrong here but surely this will stop the files being sent to
the directory.I am probably wrong so i would verify this with Alan.
Regards Duncan

--
Alan Sewards
email: alan@...
web site: http://asewards.free.fr

David J Taylor

Duncan,
The temp_directory is optional and will default to the specified
received directory, as is explained in the commented text that follows
the line. So it does not matter if it is undefined, although I use it
myself for the reason stated.

Best regards - Alan S
Alan,

It may matter that it's not defined. As I understand it, large files will be built up in situ if the "tmp_directory" is not defined, and therefore programs which check for the presence of a file may see the file as being present, even though it is not yet complete. Attempting to process such a file may result in an incomplete or lost image. With "tmp_directory=temp" in the recv.ini file, new data will be built up in the "temp" directory, and only moved to the appropriate \received\ directory when it is complete.

My recommendation therefore is to include, a common line in the recv.ini such as:

[parameters]
tmp_directory=temp

(there will be other lines in the parameters section, of course).

By the way, much of the recv-channels.ini file is commented out - I have now taken to removing those comments to leave a clearer file, and one I find easier to understand. For example, this could be the entire file:

____________________________________
[EPS-10]
target_directory=received\EPS-10

[EPS-15]
target_directory=received\EPS-15

[EPS-18]
target_directory=received\EPS-18

[EUMETSAT Data Channel 1]
target_directory=received\Data Channel 1

[EUMETSAT Data Channel 2]
target_directory=received\Data Channel 2

[EUMETSAT Data Channel 3]
target_directory=received\Data Channel 3

[Info-Channel-1]
target_directory=received

[Info-Channel-2]
target_directory=received\Info-Channel-2

[WWW-Channel]
target_directory=www/eumetsat
____________________________________

(I appreciate that you know this already, but others may not).

geoffreygee90

Alan

Sorry for delay in coming back but I had to go out this morning.

Apologies for my poor description of the situation. You are quite right the second received file which I found is in the c root directory,just below programmes,i.e....C:\received and in it are shown five folders for the Channels 1 to 4 plus EPS-10.

My Metop set up shows for the received files path.................C:\received\EPS-10

No data is coming through.

Best regards..............Geoffrey

geoffreygee90

Duncan

Thank you for your two messages.Everything helps and is appreciated, my faith in human nature is much restored by so many offering assistance.

Regards..........................Geoffrey

Alan Sewards

Geoffrey,
Thanks for that info. Now, (1) is any data coming through Channels 1-4? And (2), have you removed the RAMdrive that you were trying? If no to (1) and yes to (2), have you changed the file_database_directory in recv.ini to point to the receiving folder? (It would have been set up to point to the RAMdisk when you were using that.)
The received directory seems to be correctly set up and so is METOP, so we have to work back up the chain to find out where the data loss is occurring.

Best regards - Alan S

On 24/02/2011 5:49 PM, Geoffrey Gee wrote:
Alan

Sorry for delay in coming back but I had to go out this morning.

Apologies for my poor description of the situation. You are quite right the
second received file which I found is in the c root directory,just below
programmes,i.e....C:\received and in it are shown five folders for the
Channels 1 to 4 plus EPS-10.

My Metop set up shows for the received files
path.................C:\received\EPS-10

No data is coming through.

Best regards..............Geoffrey

Alan Sewards
email: alan@...
web site: http://asewards.free.fr

geoffreygee90

Alan

Thanks again......Files for Channels 1-4 show data 24/02/11................Nothing in file for EPS-10.................ramdisk all removed.

Rec.ini shows..............#file_database_directory=receiving /tmp

Regards.....Geoffrey

Alan Sewards

Geoffrey,
Good, we are making progress if you have data files arriving in Channels 1-4. That shows that data is arriving and being processed into the right channels, which means the receiver and Tellicast software are working. There are only two reasons I can see that prevent the [EPS-10] data from coming through: (1) that it has not been activated by Eumetcast, and (2) the PID is not set in Setup4PC. We will assume that Eumetcast have done their part (although I have known them telling me I was activated and I wasn't), leaving the Sky Star software. The only way that data can be coming in with some missing is if the PID in Sky Star for that data is not set. Right-click on the green orb in the tray and select Setup4PC. Click on Data Services. Uncheck the box in the PID List labelled Hexadecimal, and verify that 510 appears in the list. If it does not, type 510 in the box under Hexadecimal and click Insert, when it should appear in the list. Then OK and Close to leave. You can then try and see if data is coming in to the EPS-10 received folder, but be aware, the data does not come in continuously, there are gaps of a few minutes between data dumps, so if nothing happens, wait say ten minutes to be sure.
Regarding the recv.ini entry for the receiving folder: the # at the start of the line indicates that the line is to be treated as a comment and the line is ignored as an instruction. That means that the receiving folder is undefined but the fact that you are receiving Channels 1-4 means that the software has found a place for receiving and knows how to get there. If you want the folder defined, just remove the # at the beginning of the line.

Best regards - Alan S