Topics

New to Metop

geoffreygee90

Ian
Thanks again............ It has occurred to me that I may be tackling this project in the wrong way. I had thought that I could trial Metop on the same computer that I been running MSG DM etc before I had to upgrade/replace it & register the programme. The existing computer is not really man enough for the job although it is used for nothing else ( I have laptop for personal computing ). I had hoped to at least run a trial.

Dell Dimension 2400 Pentium 4 . 2 Gb Ram. 80 Gb hard drive whiich is less than half used.

Am I wasting our time ?

Regards ..................Geofffrey

Ian Deans

Geoffrey

Your computer is probably somewhere between 2.00 and 3.00 GHz so it should
be OK although your HD will limit the amount of data that you can store.

However it is almost certain that you may need a RAMDisk to avoid losses
when receiving Metop . However without a RAMDisk you should get some data
although likely with missing chunks ( Metop equivalent of segments ). It
would be better first of all to make sure that some of the basic settings in
Metop Manager are correct especially given that your EPS-10 settings in
recv-channels.ini were changed.

So as mentioned in my previous mail check the received file path in Metop
Manager and also check that the data is not actually coming in, but is not
being processed ( check your received folder in Tellique ).

If all that appears ok then we need to set up a RAMdisk.

Thanks again............ It has occurred to me that I may be tackling this
project in the wrong way. I had thought that I could trial Metop on the same
computer that I been running MSG DM etc before I had to upgrade/replace it &
register the programme. The existing computer is not really man enough for
the job although it is used for nothing else ( I have laptop for personal
computing ). I had hoped to at least run a trial.

Dell Dimension 2400 Pentium 4 . 2 Gb Ram. 80 Gb hard drive whiich is less
than half used.

Am I wasting our time ?

Regards ..................Geofffrey

[

Alan Sewards

Geoffrey,
In case you are still having problems, I have put together a brief sequence of steps to follow to add Metop to an already existing MSG receiving system. You will find it below, if it is unclear don't hesitate to ask for clarification.
Regarding your point about the computer, I don't think you need worry. My one-computer system is an old Sempron 3000 with 1GB RAM running Windows XP Pro and has been running with reboots and cleanouts for four years every day and night, except for short breaks. I receive MSG HRIT, FSD, and RSS to produce images for running with Animator, my main visual tool, run on another computer. I also run Metop Manager and AVHRR Manager on the same Sempron computer, to get the GAC, METOP and AVHRR imagery, which I manually select for special investigations. There is an 80 GB HD for programs and usual stuff, and a 500 GB HD for imagery. There is a 127 MB RAMdisk.

Receiving EUMETCAST METOP

1. Arrange with EUMETSAT to receive the data (visit the portal)

2. I assume you already have reception of MSG-2 and are getting the HRIT/FSD data using a receiver setup with an aerial pointed at the satellite at 9 degrees East (Eurobird 9) on the channel 'Media Broadcast'. Verify that this is correct.

3. If not already set, add the PID 510 (decimal) in the Data Services.

4. Edit recv-channels.ini to receive the METOP data stream by adding as follows:
#METOP AVHRR data channel
[EPS-10]
target_directory=C:\received\EPS-10
#use the path and directory name you have chosen for this data, and #create the directory

5. Install METOP Manager. When it is installed, set it up:
Under Setup, select the tabs File Controls; Global EPS METOP Data; AVHRR, and fill in the boxes for 'Tellicast METOP AVHRR global received files path' using the 'Browse' button to find and click on the directory you created in step 4; and 'Combined files path' which you will need if you want to use HRPT Reader to look at combined files. Also fill in the box 'EPS Global Files path', which can be anywhere but is usually put in a separate directory called 'EPS-Global' in the Images tree where the MSG Image data is stored.

6. As soon as you edit recv-channels.ini and save it, the Tellicast software will start to put data in the received folder specified in 4 above as the target_directory. You can look at this folder with the Windows Explorer and can see the files accumulating. They will not start to disappear until step 5 above is completed and Metop Manager is running, when it will access the data accumulating in the received folder and process it, deleting it from the received folder as it does so.

Good luck!

Best regards - Alan S

--
Alan Sewards
email: alan@...

geoffreygee90

Ian

We have success..............the final trouble was in the basic settings in the Set Up as you indicated. Many thanks.

Data coming in Ok and I have left Metop Manager and MSG-DM running since this morning and all seems well. I have just run my usual evening animated GSS for today imposed on the MSLP from Bracknell with no problems.
NowI have got to learn what to do with all this new data and how to relate it to HRPT Reader.

Again many thanks.............Regards.........Geoffrey

geoffreygee90

Alan

How very kind of you to prepare an easily understood set of instructions for adding Metop to my system they would have saved me a great deal of frustration for a rather ancient and not very computer literate weather watcher.

Many thanks..............regards.....................Geoffrey

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

Geoffrey,
In case you are still having problems, I have put together a brief
sequence of steps to follow to add Metop to an already existing MSG
receiving system. You will find it below, if it is unclear don't
hesitate to ask for clarification.
[]

Good luck!

Best regards - Alan S
Alan,

That's most helpful - I hope you won't mind me putting on the Metop Manager Web page:

http://www.satsignal.eu/software/metop_manager.htm#quickstart

Cheeers,

Alan Sewards

David,
No problem. I am honoured to be in such company!

Best regards - Alan