Topics

Priorities for acquiring data

Carolina

Dear all, I hope you can help me.
Probably due to hot temperatures within the lab of University where acquision pc is located, in the morning I find that the pc/antenna work, but not all usual data are acquired. In particular, HRIT data (the most important for my working group) are not acquired (ascat, gome, saf,...YES!!!). If I restart pc everything goes back ok. My question is: is it possible to select somewhere PRIORITIES for arriving data? If I cannot avoid that pc/antenna work bad during hot days (waiting for the istallation of an air conditioner!!!) at least I would acquire data which are more interesting for us.
Thanks,
Carolina

Andrew Hall <ajwhall@...>

Hi Carolina,

If I understand correctly that which you are requesting then you need to modify your "recv-channels" which is in the "T-Systems" folder under "Program Files". Here is an example from my own "recv-channels" file:

[*]
target_directory=D:&#92;eumetcast&#92;received-wildcard
[Info-Channel-1]
target_directory=D:&#92;eumetcast&#92;received
[Info-Channel-2]
target_directory=D:&#92;eumetcast&#92;received
[EPS-10]
target_directory=D:&#92;eumetcast&#92;received-AVHRR
[EPS-15]
target_directory=D:&#92;eumetcast&#92;received-NOAA-AVHRR
[EUMETSAT Data Channel 1]
target_directory=D:&#92;eumetcast&#92;received
[EUMETSAT Data Channel 2]
target_directory=D:&#92;eumetcast&#92;received
[EUMETSAT Data Channel 3]
target_directory=D:&#92;eumetcast&#92;received
[EUMETSAT Data Channel 4]
target_directory=D:&#92;eumetcast&#92;received
[EUMETSAT Data Channel 5]
target_directory=D:&#92;eumetcast&#92;received-RSS
[EUMETSAT Data Channel 6]
target_directory=D:&#92;eumetcast&#92;received-RSS
[SAF-Africa]
target_directory=D:&#92;eumetcast&#92;received
[SAF-Americas]
target_directory=D:&#92;eumetcast&#92;received
[SAF-Europe]
target_directory=D:&#92;eumetcast&#92;received

By using the above format (which I believe most do) you are able to keep better control over data that you do or don't need.

Another way would be to email OPS and ask for the specific data which you don't require to be removed from yor EKU key, if any!

If this does not answer your question then maybe one of the more knowledgeable Gents on the forum can help you.

Most Kindest Regards,

Andrew Hall.
Leipzig, Deutschland.

http://www.skysignals.com

daniarnedo

Are you sure the temperature is your problem? I find this rather strange. I
think you might be having other problems in you eumetcast system.…

Alan Sewards

Carolina,
You can control rather crudely what you receive in the receiver with the PIDs. Other than that, you have to use the various items in recv-channels.ini, by commenting-out the ones you don't want, as Andrew explained in his post. You can do this without stopping or restarting your PC (I think). You cannot set priorities as such, where the system would take HRIT data for preference over some other data which is less important to you if the processor was overloaded, as there is no mechanism for setting priorities for the data channels.
I agree with another post which suggested that it was unlikely that heat was causing a loss of data. Perhaps it would be a good idea to give the PC a good clean, including the CPU heat sink. You can also get software which will read out the internal temperatures and fan speeds, which will give you a good indication if overheating is taking place.

Ciao - Alan

Carolina wrote:

Dear all, I hope you can help me.
Probably due to hot temperatures within the lab of University where acquision pc is located, in the morning I find that the pc/antenna work, but not all usual data are acquired. In particular, HRIT data (the most important for my working group) are not acquired (ascat, gome, saf,...YES!!!). If I restart pc everything goes back ok. My question is: is it possible to select somewhere PRIORITIES for arriving data? If I cannot avoid that pc/antenna work bad during hot days (waiting for the istallation of an air conditioner!!!) at least I would acquire data which are more interesting for us.
Thanks,
Carolina

a_van_belle

Hello Carolina,

Sorry for the delay, just returned from a very successful GEO conference in the UK !

An overheating CPU will throttle down automatically to prevent damage and may cause everything to slow down and Tellicast to miss data.

When things slow down too much you will see the temporary Tellicast database (0.fsy file) grow rapidly up to 131 MB, after that a second file 1.fsy is created. This will slow down Tellicast further. After a reboot these files are generally reset.
Normally these fsy file(s) should stay at a certain size after a couple of hours running.

Having these files on RAMdisk does speed up things and will make reception more fault tolerant.

Greetings,
Arne van Belle