Topics

Techisat Skystar-2 card revisions and Linux

Purcocks, Graham <grahamp@...>

Hi

We have just had a failure of our Linux based (2.4 kernal) skystar 2
card. I had a spare card and this also does not appear to work.

I note that the previously working card is revision 2.6d and the new
card is 2.8a. Does anyone know whether there is anything significantly
different between theses and whether there is any reason the new
revision card would not work. I note that the new card has 2 keys on the
edge connector whereas the old one only had one, suggesting the new one
might work with 5V and 3.3V PCI slots. As everything on EuMetCast site
says must be used in 5V slots, this is worrying.

The new card is recognised as a SkyStar 2 card and appears in the
/proc/bus/pci/devices card and looks fine. But dvbtune cannot talk to it
and gives errors similar to below.

$$ dvbtune -c 0 -f 11976820 -p H -s 27500 -n 100
frontend: 11FRONTEND DEVICE: : No such device

Any help and information would be greatly appreciated.

Graham

Purcocks, Graham <grahamp@...>

I failed to mention that the old card causes the machine to not boot,
but the new card boots OK. So it is not the same fault.

Graham

[...]

a_van_belle

Hello Graham,

Have heard that the new 2.8 version is both 3.3V and 5V compatible but uses a different front-end and needs new drivers.
http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2008-March/024709.html

Maybe the link below can help you.
http://www.dvbskystar.com/
Search for : "2.8 for linux" on that page.

As your are not the first user having problems with this new Skystar 2.8 version, I think we better avoid this version until driver issues are sorted !

Greetings,
Arne van Belle

Graham D. Purcocks M.A. (Oxon) <grahamp@...>

Thanks very much.

Fingers crossed!

Graham

--

Graham D. Purcocks M.A. (Oxon) <grahamp@...>

Problem is 2.8A are all that are available now other than Ebay or second
hand.

Graham

On Wed, 2009-05-06 at 23:14, a_van_belle wrote:

Hello Graham,

Have heard that the new 2.8 version is both 3.3V and 5V compatible but
uses a different front-end and needs new drivers.
http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2008-March/024709.html

Maybe the link below can help you.
http://www.dvbskystar.com/
Search for : "2.8 for linux" on that page.

As your are not the first user having problems with this new Skystar
2.8 version, I think we better avoid this version until driver issues
are sorted !

Greetings,
Arne van Belle

--

Purcocks, Graham <grahamp@...>

Arne

Very helpful thanks. Just so others don't bang their heads against a
brick wall. Centos 5 standard kernel does *NOT* contain dvb drivers. So
it was only when I built my own from the link below that I actually got
it to recognise any Skystar 2 card.

I have now actually got Centos 5 to recognise the 2.8A card but szap is
not showing a lock, so I am now suspicious of our LNB/dish so getting it
checked out tomorrow.

I now know how to recognise 5V and 3.3V PCI slots! BTW the 2.8A card is
currently in a 3.3V slot so that will widen the choice of PC hardware if
it actually starts to deliver data!

Will let you know what transpires.

Graham

Have heard that the new 2.8 version is both 3.3V and 5V compatible but
uses a different front-end and needs new drivers.
http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2008-March/024709.html

Maybe the link below can help you.
http://www.dvbskystar.com/
Search for : "2.8 for linux" on that page.

As your are not the first user having problems with this new Skystar 2.8
version, I think we better avoid this version until driver issues are
sorted !

Greetings,
Arne van Belle

Graham D. Purcocks M.A. (Oxon) <grahamp@...>

FYI

I started receiving data using Centos 5 O/S and the Linuxtv v4l driver
tree including the binary patch for the Skystar 2 Version 2.8A card
using the V2.8A card running in a 3.3V PCI slot.

Processing has yet to be achieved, but that is a known quantity. The
main thing will be system stability which was poor for us with a RedHat
3 O/S and Eumetcast supplied drivers for Skystar 2 2.6D card.

I thought people might be interested in this information.

Graham

On Wed, 2009-05-13 at 16:44, Purcocks, Graham wrote:

[...]

Thanks for reporting Graham,

Good to hear you did manage to get this new 2.8A version working under Linux. Although the windows driver may make install under windows easy, we are interested in reports on how the new receiver is handling.

Greetings,
Arne van Belle

--- In MSG-1@..., "Graham D. Purcocks M.A. (Oxon)" <grahamp@...> wrote:

FYI

I started receiving data using Centos 5 O/S and the Linuxtv v4l driver
tree including the binary patch for the Skystar 2 Version 2.8A card
using the V2.8A card running in a 3.3V PCI slot.

Processing has yet to be achieved, but that is a known quantity. The
main thing will be system stability which was poor for us with a RedHat
3 O/S and Eumetcast supplied drivers for Skystar 2 2.6D card.

I thought people might be interested in this information.

Graham

daniarnedo

Can you explain the patch installation procedure? Where is it available for
download? We have a system working under FEDORA and would like to also test
this new card revision.

Daniel.

Purcocks, Graham <grahamp@...>

Arne gave the link in a previous exchange

Maybe the link below can help you.
http://www.dvbskystar.com/
Search for : "2.8 for linux" on that page.

The readme files are quite explicit. I suggest using the menuconfig to only compile the skystar 2 drivers if this is all you use as it will save a lot of grief getting the v4l tree to compile which is designed to compile against vanilla Linux kernels. The RedHat ones have many back ports so I had to modify the confih include file to pull in the correct parts. This patch is a binary file as they will not allow the driver (at the moment) to be released in source form.

Hope this helps

Graham