Topics

change ip broadcast linux

daniarnedo

For Meteosat weather satellite usersHi Group

We have detected a change in the IP of the EUMETCAST dvb packets. I think It just affect to linux users using a virtual IP interface to improve tellique reception.

Does anyone have information about this? It has changed from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.2.

Thanks and best regards.

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

Daniel Garcia wrote:
For Meteosat weather satellite usersHi Group

We have detected a change in the IP of the EUMETCAST dvb packets. I
think It just affect to linux users using a virtual IP interface to
improve tellique reception.

Does anyone have information about this? It has changed from
192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.2.

Thanks and best regards.
Daniel,

As far as I know, EUMETCast packets appear to come /from/ a certain multicast IP and port address as listed here:

http://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/atovs/index.html#DataChannels

The only change I have seen is that the network address is no longer "T-Systems" but "MEDIA BROADCAST". If something else appears to have changed, I suggest you look at your own system configuration first.

Email: davidtaylor@...

Christoph Neuhaus

Hi Daniel

We have detected a change in the IP of the EUMETCAST dvb packets. I
think It just affect to linux users using a virtual IP interface to
improve tellique reception.

Does anyone have information about this? It has changed from
192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.2.

the following message came from Eumetsat Ops:

EUMETCast Meteosat 0 degree High Rate SEVIRI News

Issued on 30/09/08 at 08:01:18

Seq Nr: 1

News information:
On 27/09/08 around 12:00 UTC, the EUMETCast Cluster automatically
switched to the redundant equipment.
As long as the redundant equipment was active, the originating IP
address of the multicast packets was set to 192.168.1.2 (from
nominally 192.168.1.1).
This resulted in a lost connection for users whose reception stations
are configured to use the originating IP address.
These users are those who use DVB routers and LINUX systems using
smcroute.
It was switched back to the prime system on 29/09/08 at 08:45 UTC.

The following recommendation applies only to non-Windows reception
systems and DVB routers:
In order to avoid future interruptions in case of EUMETCast server
failovers users must allow the following originating IP addresses on
the reception systems:
192.168.1.1
192.168.1.2
Eumetsat is working on a solution not requiring the changing of IP
addresses.

INFORMATION:
For further information, please contact the EUMETSAT User Services
Helpdesk
Tel: +49 6151 807 366
Fax: +49 6151 807 379
Email: ops@...
www.eumetsat.int

Regards,
Chris

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

Folks,

It appears that EUMETCast packets also contain a source address, and the multicast address is where they are sent to. Sorry for the confusion. Perhaps someone with more network expertise than me could confirm this?

The following recommendation applies only to non-Windows reception systems and DVB routers:
In order to avoid future interruptions in case of EUMETCast server failovers users must allow the following originating IP addresses on the reception systems:
192.168.1.1
192.168.1.2
Eumetsat is working on a solution not requiring the changing of IP addresses.

as Chris has pointed out (thanks, Chris).

Email: davidtaylor@...