Topics

New Skystar USB Plus Box (USB2) - Any Experiences?

berni_b_53 <berni-53@...>

Hello,

I am using a Skystar USB 1.1 Box for Eumetcast reception. `thinking
about a change to the new USB 2 Box after having Problems with the
simultaneous reception of MSG and Metop Data. Presumably due to the
limitations of the USB 1.1 Standart. Has anybody any experiences with
this new box? How about Driver and all this.

Thank you for your answers

Bernd

a_van_belle

Hello Bernd,

I have been testing a Technotrend Connect S2400 USB2.0 box for months
now. This one is identical to the Skystar USB Plus. The drivers are
developed by Technotrend, even on the Skystar version !
But Technisat is way behind with driver updates, their latest is BDA
1072. This driver does not install properly and warns at every reboot
that my USB port is not 2.0 compatible (it really is !)
Only the latest BDA1075 driver from Technotrend solves these problems.
Unfortunately you cannot interchange the drivers between Technotrend
and Technisat because of different hardware ID.

To make a long story short, after 4 driver updates it does handle the
full EUMETCast data stream now. Even the high volume MetOp AVHRR and IASI
But compared to the Technisat Skystar2 PCI I notice higher CPU usage
(must be the extra USB layer).

Drawbacks of the USB2.0 box
- Driver works only on windows XP SP2, you have to install the
complete package including TV viewer to get the data service application.
- You have to enter all transponder parameters and PIDs once as the
EUMETCast service is not pre-configured.
- Tools like SkyDSL_status, bs2status, b2settuner don't work on these
receivers. So no signal quality statistics with MRTG.
- Signal quality readout is always 100%, Signal level reads as 88%, no
Signal to Noise or BER readout.

The good thing is that I have never seen it loose lock after
transponder glitches or rain fades so you don't need "retuning" after
signal loss.

Greetings,
Arne van Belle

--- In MSG-1@..., "berni_b_53" <berni-53@...> wrote:

Hello,

I am using a Skystar USB 1.1 Box for Eumetcast reception. `thinking
about a change to the new USB 2 Box after having Problems with the
simultaneous reception of MSG and Metop Data. Presumably due to the
limitations of the USB 1.1 Standart. Has anybody any experiences with
this new box? How about Driver and all this.

Thank you for your answers

Bernd

Guy Martin <agm@...>

In other words, give it a miss.

Cheers, Guy

geojohnt@...

In a message dated 02/06/2007 20:42:04 GMT Daylight Time, berni-53@...
writes:

I am using a Skystar USB 1.1 Box for Eumetcast reception. `thinking
about a change to the new USB 2 Box after having Problems with the
simultaneous reception of MSG and Metop Data. Presumably due to the
limitations of the USB 1.1 Standart. Has anybody any experiences with
this new box? How about Driver and all this.

Hello Bernd,

You will have seen Arne's response to your question which I'm sure you found
informative.

Actually Arne is being a bit modest.
We (GEO) have known for some time - even before the launch of Metop-A that
the ever increasing data stream of EUMETCast was becoming a problem - or would
be - for the SkyStar 2 USB V1.1 box unless users limited the data services
received.
Arne and David Taylor did tests last year with a SkyStar 2 USB V1.1 box
during (test) periods run by EUMETSAT of increased data.
I contacted TechniSat several times last year regarding the possibility of a
USB V2 version of the SkyStar box but to no avail - it seemed there would
not be one.

Many months ago now Arne discovered the TechnoTrend USB V2 box and began
tests with it for reception of EUMETCast.
However these tests disappointingly were not very encouraging - owing to the
driver situation.
But Arne persevered and identified newer drivers and as he has reported high
data rate reception appears to be possible with this box.

Many months after the TechnoTrend box appeared a SkyStar USB Plus box came
onto the market which Arne identified as a rebadged Technotrend box. EUMETSat
have been testing this box for EUMETCast reception but apparently not having
much success - driver issues again.
As Arne explained the drivers are not interchangeable between the two boxes.

The SkyStar USB V1.1 box is no longer manufactured so the GEO shop is no
longer unable to offer it - apart from that the (full) data rate is now a
problem for this box.

GEO is very fortunate to have the expertise and services of Arne who along
with EUMETSAT are testing these two new boxes and as soon as we get the OK
from them the GEO shop will be able to sell these boxes with confidence and
back-up.

Regards,
John Tellick.

berni_b_53 <berni-53@...>

Thank you John for your Report on this issue. And thank you for your
answers David Arne Guy.
Thank you David for your really rapid reaction towards an RSS
capable Upgrade of the Animator. The results are stunning!

Well for now I continue with my USB 1.1 Box. During the last 2 days
I did figure out the limitations of my system with this Box also
because I was keen in getting the parallel Met8 Met9 reception going.
Living near the Black Forest the Convective and Orographically-
induced Precipitation Study (Cops) ist most interesting to me in the
moment. Yesterdays Animator upgrade of David made all this even more
interesting. If anybody else is interested in todays animation of
the RSS Central Europe made with GeoSatSignal as an example (18MB):
"www.moments-
fotografie.de/070604_0300_1930_Met8_RSS_Ch12_FC_rem_Centr_Eur.mpg"
for a download during this week
For all this I clearly had to give up the Metop reception during
this summer.
To obtain a good reception I have to install now a second PC very
soon.

all the best

Bernd from Heidelberg

writes:

[...]

I am afraid I think I have to stop the download offer in my previous
mail, as I am not shure, if I am allowed to do this.
apologies
Bernd

--- In MSG-1@..., "berni_b_53" <berni-53@...> wrote:

Thank you John for your Report on this issue. And thank you for your
answers David Arne Guy.
Thank you David for your really rapid reaction towards an RSS
capable Upgrade of the Animator. The results are stunning!

Well for now I continue with my USB 1.1 Box. During the last 2
days......

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

berni_b_53 wrote:
I am afraid I think I have to stop the download offer in my previous
mail, as I am not shure, if I am allowed to do this.
apologies
Bernd
Bernd,

http://www.moments-fotografie.de/070604_0300_1930_Met8_RSS_Ch12_FC_rem_Centr_Eur.mpg

Data is copyright � EUMETSAT (2007)

That is a beautifully smooth animation, with some dramatic storm clouds developing. For our dial-up users, it's a 17.3MB download.

You can check the guidelines here:

http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/software/publishing-data.htm

I think that once the data is more than 24 hours old, you are OK. You must give credit to EUMETSAT's copyright into these by displaying the terms "� EUMETSAT (year)" under each of the data and products shown, and my understanding is that a page with a link and that Copyright statement would be fine. Or the mention of the copyright in the text, as I have done.

This is on the understanding that it is a one-off "research" type animation, an example, rather than something which you will update and offer every day (which you clearly are not doing).

Glad to hear you are enjoying the data!

Email: davidtaylor@...

daniarnedo

Hi all, about this old message,

Could Someone give me some steps to configure the eumetcast reception
for the usb plus from technisat? It is totally different!.

Thanks and regards.

Dani.
--- In MSG-1@..., "Guy Martin" <agm@...> wrote:

In other words, give it a miss.