Recent EUMETCast changes

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

Folks,

I've just had an e-mail from EUMETSAT which I may summarise as follows:

1 - "wrong interface address" messages in the log file.

(a) A few of these messages are to be expected when a higher priority transmission from another channel was started, and the opened channel was not used. These are annoying, but can be ignored. They don't signify data loss.

(b) The channel has been disabled (PID not selected of channel not selected in recv-channels.ini, then happens frequently).

To me (b) sounds like a configuration error. My guess is that we may all need to learn how to edit the recv-channels.ini file to filter in the data we want, rather than just getting everything.

2 - increased missing segments

If the system performance was borderline before, the new server and client software might push such a system over the limit. Using a RAMdisk for the file database location (i.e. the .FSY file) should resolve these problems.

(Arne van Belle's article is here: http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/wxsat/atovs/RAMdisk.pdf)

3 - the upgrade of the client is mandatory, as future changes may cause even more problems for the old client software.

4 - you are encouraged to report problems. The trouble-shooting guide section (A) lists the minimum information that EUMETSAT need.

http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/wxsat/atovs/EUMETCast-trouble-shooting-guide.html

Web: http://www.satsignal.net
Email: davidtaylor@writeme.com

___________________________________________________________ Now you can scan emails quickly with a reading pane. Get the new Yahoo! Mail. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html

Mads Olander Rasmussen <mor@...>

Hi David and list

after reading your email (3) David, I realized that I had to update the
client software (I was running 2.4.0a). On that machine I only receive
NOAA AVHRR data and the trial MSG2 data so I only have enabled PIDs 100
and 500. After updating the software my 'T' changed from consistently
pink to changing between pink and red. It claims that I have a
'configuration error' as you also mention (1,b). Does anyone have an
idea how to avoid this? As I am only receiving the NOAA AVHRR data and
the MSG-2 data I have not edited recv-channels.ini to separate the data
from the different channels (so I'm using the [*] wildcard option).
Enabling the other PIDs make the 'Configuration Error' messages go away
(and the pink 'T' reappears) - but it also increases the load on the
machine which was why I disabled PIDs 300 and 301 in the first place!

Cheers,
Mads

gm8arv@yahoo.co.uk 01-06-2006 10:25 >>>

Mads Olander Rasmussen wrote:
[...]

Mads,

As far as I can tell at the moment, we will alll need to change away from using the catch-all [*] section in recv-channels.ini, and add sections specific to the data we want. Otherwise it seems that the Announcement channel says something like:

- there are files for Data Channel 3 on multicast address a.b.c.d:e

and if you have the wildcard [*] set, the TelliCast software say to the DVB software:

- please send me multicast data for address a.b.c.d:e

and if the PID for that data isn't set, then the TelliCast client fails to connect, and hence registers an error. As far as I can understand, though, such an error doesn't cause data loss, so it simply gets recorded in the log file (causing more disk I/O). What you need to do, I believe, is to remove the section [*], and (for the data you want), replace it with sections like (where I made up the directory names):

# (for the AVHRR data)
[EUMETSAT Data Channel 1]
target_directory=D:&#92;Tellique&#92;received&#92;AHVRR&#92;
#
# (for MSG-2 HRIT data)
[EUMETSAT Data Channel 5]
target_directory=D:&#92;Tellique&#92;received&#92;HRIT&#92;

Indeed, that may be the full content of the recv-channels.ini file.

In this way, when files for Data Channel 3 come along, the TelliCast client will know that you don't want them, as it can't find a match for "EUMETSAT Data Channel 1" and that it should not try to set up a data connection to: 224.223.222.23:nnnn (which wouldn't work as you are not taking PID 301). There is a list of channels and PIDs here, although I don't know the multicast address for DWDSAT, and if someone has this I could complete the table.

http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/wxsat/atovs/index.html#DataChannels

Is that any clearer? Does it cure the flashing red icon problem?

___________________________________________________________ Try the all-new Yahoo! Mail. "The New Version is radically easier to use" � The Wall Street Journal http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html