Topics

Meteosat Derived Imagery

weathergroups

Eumetsat have added some interesting derived imagery to their Website over
the last few months

HYPERLINK "HYPERLINK
http://www.eumetsat.int/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&;nodeId=504&l=en
http://www.eumetsat.int/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&;nodeId=504&l=en"
HYPERLINK
http://www.eumetsat.int/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&;nodeId=504&l=en
http://www.eumetsat.int/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&;nodeId=504&l=en

In particular the Airmass Visualisation

HYPERLINK "HYPERLINK
http://oiswww.eumetsat.int/~idds/doc/airmass_interpretation.pdf
http://oiswww.eumetsat.int/~idds/doc/airmass_interpretation.pdf"; HYPERLINK
http://oiswww.eumetsat.int/~idds/doc/airmass_interpretation.pdf
http://oiswww.eumetsat.int/~idds/doc/airmass_interpretation.pdf

I would like to be able to create such images from my MSG Images regularly
as they are very valuable. However they use Subtraction of Images.

Geosatsignal does not support this yet and I do not know of any other image
programs that are relatively simple to create such images on a frequent (15
min) basis

Any guidance / help appreciated

Thanks
Paul

Robert Moore

Paul I'm in much the same position as you - I have more or less sorted out addition and subtraction using PaintShopPro but I never get the images shown by EUMETSAT. So I have spent a lot of time getting rather muddy images or images that I can not interpret!
I hope some time we might have a hands-on workshop on this at the GEO Symposium. I'm sure there's something very straightforward that I'm missing. I see the explanatory notes show the use of an RGB colour slider - I've never got the hang of this either.

So I join your plea for help.

Robert

--On 05 March 2006 12:28 +0000 Paul Blight <weathergroups@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

http://oiswww.eumetsat.int/~idds/doc/airmass_interpretation.pdf

44 (0) 1352 714456

Douglas Deans <dsdeans@...>

Paul I'm in much the same position as you - I have more or less sorted out
addition and subtraction using PaintShopPro but I never get the images
shown by EUMETSAT. So I have spent a lot of time getting rather muddy
images or images that I can not interpret!
I hope some time we might have a hands-on workshop on this at the GEO
Symposium. I'm sure there's something very straightforward that I'm
missing. I see the explanatory notes show the use of an RGB colour
slider -
I've never got the hang of this either.

So I join your plea for help.

Robert

.......and here is another. I used PhotoFiltre as it had a superb
'Arithmetic' plugin which does the job. But like yourself Robert, the
images were.....er, pretty awful.
Lack of time (yes I know I am retired !) prevented further experimentation.
I have a feeling when reading the MSG Interpretation Guide that Eumetsat do
more to the images than they say....sometimes they use radiance values for
example.
Agreed a very good topic for future discussion and resolve.
David is intending to add a subtraction mode to GSS in the future. Perhaps
his one will do the job better......he hasn't let us down yet !

Paul Blight wrote:
Eumetsat have added some interesting derived imagery to their Website
over the last few months
[]
I would like to be able to create such images from my MSG Images
regularly as they are very valuable. However they use Subtraction of
Images.

Geosatsignal does not support this yet and I do not know of any other
image programs that are relatively simple to create such images on a
frequent (15 min) basis

Any guidance / help appreciated

Thanks
Paul
Paul,

You can automatically download the already-processed Dust, Air-Mass and Fog images from the EUMETSAT Web site using a program like AutoGet V4.2.0:

http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/software/geosatsignal.htm

or Francis Breame's getCharts Perl script:

http://www.vf0123.btinternet.co.uk/

and combine them into a single full resolution, full-disk image, animate, or remap them using GeoSatSignal. Unless you have the full 10-bit data saved, channel subtraction will be approximate at best, so why not let EUMETSAT do it for you from their master data?

Web: http://www.satsignal.net
Email: davidtaylor@writeme.com

___________________________________________________________ To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Yahoo! Security Centre. http://uk.security.yahoo.com

weathergroups

Paul,

You can automatically download the already-processed Dust, Air-Mass and
Fog images from the EUMETSAT Web site using a program like AutoGet V4.2.0:

http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/software/geosatsignal.htm

or Francis Breame's getCharts Perl script:

http://www.vf0123.btinternet.co.uk/

and combine them into a single full resolution, full-disk image, animate,
or remap them using GeoSatSignal. Unless you have the full 10-bit data
saved, channel subtraction will be approximate at best, so why not let
EUMETSAT do it for you from their master data?

Web: http://www.satsignal.net
Email: davidtaylor@writeme.com

Hi David

Yes I have considered this - But the only images I can find are hourly ones
- There is nothing more frequent.

There is a lot of "Derived Meteorology" available for Eumetsat Imagery.
(Such as Dust, Fog and Airmass Products)

I feel at present we are only tapping into a small amount of what is
available.

Cheers
Paul

http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/wxsat/glossary.htm

Yahoo! Groups Links

Yahoo! Photos ďż˝ NEW, now offering a quality print service from just 8p a photo http://uk.photos.yahoo.com

R. Alblas

Paul,

xrit2pic can create composed pics immediately from the raw MSG data (full 10 bits) using any linear
combination of channels, including substraction.
Also, it has a selection button to create immediately the dust, airmass and fog mappings.
The mappings are currently not optimal; e.g. for some mappings gamma correction is needed which is not
implemented yet. This will be added in the future. Also channels are not calibrated yet. But it is a start.
You can also create movies using one of these (or any other) mappings.

xrit2pic is available for WIndows, Linux and SUN/Solaris, for free.
Have a look at:
http://www.alblas.demon.nl/wsat

Regards,
Rob.