Topics

Hardware lifetime? CPU? Whats your opinion?

derfwmann

Hello everybody
Hello Götz

Thanks for the help..

Follow small questions:

- I read all time that there is much traffic and heavy load to the harddrives.
Questions to all: Is there a shorter hard drive live noticed?
I mean that harddrives dies ealier? How long?
Whats manufactor of HDD would be life longer?
Is it better to install a second harddrive in the computer for the receiving traffic load instead running all at the main drive?
(I think about harddrive crashes, or is there no shorter HDD lifetime?)

- is there a main different between using a AMD Sempron or Athlon or must be this a Celeron or Pentium 4 with the same e.g. 2,8 Ghz?
Or is it anyway? A sempron does save more power.. (for one computer configuration)

- last and main important question to the receiving or receiving and processing computer way: Is there a way to use this computer - if its fast enough - also for running the own weather station and other all time functions?
Background: I use this time a Athlon 900 with W2K and 768 MB maximum ram for running my weather station 24 hours a day, also receiving fax and also for the telefon answering machine. Load is this tme 30-50% CPU.
I think this machine will not be powered enough now for running only receiving eumetcast too. Or what do you think?
So I have now two plans and didn't now which is better:
- setting up a just only Eumetcast computer for receiving and proessing and buy a cheap older Athlon sockel board with sempron oder Athlon 2400 with 1 Gb ram and 250 Gb S-ata Samsung HDD, and keep the weather-station running at the athlon 900. Bad is the double energy power needed and costs money for running two computers.
OR: The new computer will also do the services which run under the Athlon 900 above this time..or is that not usefull?
Most important: Whats your knowledge about system hangs and freezes? The Athlon 900 runs very fine..100 days with reboot.
I'm a little bit frighten that the eumetcast receiving is not stable and the computer hangs. And I have since 1997 no weather data recording lost and so freezes and I would be unhappy if the combination recording the own weather data and eumetcast doens't fit.
So: How stable is the eumetcast receiving?

Thanks for the help and sorry for so much questions..

As soon as I learn more and become in the next months knowledge about all, I will give it back if other beginners ask here, and help them of course.

P.S. Thanks Götz for the german newsgroup, but I think here are more people?
Is there other - perhabs german - websites about MSG? Thanks

PS: Don't wonder about my german nickname as mailadress..I used it as protection of spam in forums and mailinglists. Feuerwehrmann means Firefighter (yes, I'm it).

With friendly greatings

Florian

Mike Jupp

Just to show hardware can be reliable.

My system is based on a ASRock Skt A board with a Athlon XP2800
processor with 512kb of ram, HDD is an Excelstor 80GB running WIN2K PRO.
This system has run nonstop since August 2004 with no hardware changes.
There have been the odd software glitches but mainly due to lack of
memory as I run MSG data manager, MSG animator and my Davis weather
station as well. I take about 6 of the main msg channels plus FSD this
keeps a reasonable amount of ram free.

Cheers....Mike

a_van_belle

Hello Florian,

Thanks to Goetz, Markus and Mike

I have been running the same PC (an old MSI 6209 barebone) from the
early start of EUMETCast on May 2003. It runs W2K 24x7 and generally
is only rebooted at power loss or "dust-off" maintenance.
EUMETCast and MDM do run very stable and never caused my system to
hang. But with limited RAM I need to restart MDM about once a month to
prevent it running out of system resources.

Had to replace the old 40GB disk, a case fan and a CPU fan over the years.
After an update from Celeron 800 and 256Mb to 1 Ghz Pentium and 512 Mb
I also decode using Datamanager.
Using a Ramdisk will ease the load on the disk but animating on the
same PC will increase the load again.
Very important is a good case layout that keeps your disk and CPU
running cool.
As I use an older version Skystar (v2.3), this needs some cooling too.

You will have to experiment with other programs to see if the system
can handle the load. For example launching Internet Explorer can cause
missing segments on my configuration, if I need to monitor Tellicast I
access it from my second PC.
Make sure the mainboard can hold enough RAM (1GB) as mine is up to the
max at 512 Mb !

With the large amount of data coming in (9 GB per day) you will have
to move decoded data from the receive PC (or have MDM delete it) as a
fully fragmented disk will slow things down.

If your weather station is connected to the internet you will need a
firewall and up to date virus scanner, does need a bit of additional
performance.

--- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "Der-Feuerwehrmann"

Steve Blackmore <steve@...>

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 22:43:42 -0000, you wrote:

I have been running the same PC (an old MSI 6209 barebone) from the
early start of EUMETCast on May 2003. It runs W2K 24x7 and generally
is only rebooted at power loss or "dust-off" maintenance.
Similar story here, mine has 1Gb of memory and hasn't been rebooted
since the dongles were issued. Runs 24/7 flawlessly. CPU fan is getting
a bit noisy so might just be due for an overhaul sometime soon.

Does more harm and causes more stress turning PC's on and off than just
leaving them running.

Steve Blackmore
--

Alan Sewards <asewards@...>

I run my Eumetcast reception system on an Athlon 2400 PC and it has been
running from the beginning of the service trials. OS is Win XP Home, 1
GB RAM. 2 HDD, one as the C: drive and a D: drive for the MSG data. I
lost the D: drive after about a year, I believe largely due to the fact
that I tried to run MSG Animator on the machine as well as Tellicast
reception and MSG Data Manager - it was just too much for the disk, even
though the disk that failed was not the C: drive. Since then I run
Animator on another machine networked to the reception PC. The system
runs 24/7 and is not rebooted except when XP Security updates so
dictate. I have to add that electricity costs in France where I live are
very reasonable and leaving computers on is not costly from the
electricity consumed viewpoint. This does not seem to apply to Germany
from what I have read.

Best regards - Alan

Steve Blackmore wrote:

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 22:43:42 -0000, you wrote:

I have been running the same PC (an old MSI 6209 barebone) from the
early start of EUMETCast on May 2003. It runs W2K 24x7 and generally
is only rebooted at power loss or "dust-off" maintenance.
Similar story here, mine has 1Gb of memory and hasn't been rebooted
since the dongles were issued. Runs 24/7 flawlessly. CPU fan is getting
a bit noisy so might just be due for an overhaul sometime soon.

Does more harm and causes more stress turning PC's on and off than just
leaving them running.

Steve Blackmore

http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/wxsat/glossary.htm

Vane weather
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&;k=Vane+weather&w1=Vane+weather&w2=Station+weather+wireless&w3=Science+kits&w4=Science+education&w5=Science+kit+for+kid&w6=Earth+science&c=6&s=133&.sig=yGKbXyuU6YnkxzD2yxzRtg>
Station weather wireless
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&;k=Station+weather+wireless&w1=Vane+weather&w2=Station+weather+wireless&w3=Science+kits&w4=Science+education&w5=Science+kit+for+kid&w6=Earth+science&c=6&s=133&.sig=wFQto8_uzoALQ5zhLebUlQ>
Science kits
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&;k=Science+kits&w1=Vane+weather&w2=Station+weather+wireless&w3=Science+kits&w4=Science+education&w5=Science+kit+for+kid&w6=Earth+science&c=6&s=133&.sig=Azp6z-1BAFWbCM87LP1Ydw>

Science education
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&;k=Science+education&w1=Vane+weather&w2=Station+weather+wireless&w3=Science+kits&w4=Science+education&w5=Science+kit+for+kid&w6=Earth+science&c=6&s=133&.sig=qupKH6U1LFrI1wSOxdfgQg>
Science kit for kid
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&;k=Science+kit+for+kid&w1=Vane+weather&w2=Station+weather+wireless&w3=Science+kits&w4=Science+education&w5=Science+kit+for+kid&w6=Earth+science&c=6&s=133&.sig=YQ1IJ944GDWT15KF8Fc2Ww>
Earth science
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&;k=Earth+science&w1=Vane+weather&w2=Station+weather+wireless&w3=Science+kits&w4=Science+education&w5=Science+kit+for+kid&w6=Earth+science&c=6&s=133&.sig=l7HwzZzkSlQWpk281QYwEw>

Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>;.

Alan Sewards
email: alan.sewards@free.fr
b.sewards@libertysurf.fr

web site: http://asewards.free.fr

Robert Moore

While I've had some problems, none have been attributable to hardware. My reception PC has run from the start of of MSG-1 trials and as far as I can remember has only been switched off once (save by a power cut or two) for a month in 2004 when I was in India. Pentium 4 2GHz, 512MB RAM, 80GB HDD - which has only been above a quarter full when my data-processing PC failed to restart after a power cut - then the HDD filled but was easily recovered. This PC runs under Windows XP Professional and is used solely for Meteosat-8 reception (save that it has an internet connection and software which checks the clock).
Processing PC is much higher spec Pentium 4 3GHz, 2GB RAM 200GB HDD, Windows XP Professional. Very heavily used for David's software, radio data processing, number-crunching, photographic work, word-processing, email, internet etc etc and regularly runs two sound cards simultaneously. Purchased when MSG-1 was launched, only one month off again. No problems.
But given its age and being aware of possible end-of-life problems I am now running automated backups of working files on this machine to another PC - because if this one fails I would really be in trouble as my serious work would be lost (Yes, sometimes hard to remember -- but Meteosat-8 is really only a hobby!).
So looks like two CPUs are running like new - should we be more concerned with hard drives? The hard drive on my weather station machine self-destroyed and the supplier said that HDDs for the general consumer market could not be expected to run 24/7 and that one needed a better quality HDD for that kind of use. I don't know if this chimes in with anyone else's experience.

Robert

Steve Blackmore wrote:
[...]

Yahoo! Groups Links

44 (0) 1352 714456

arthur <arthur.tenkaten@...>

HD failure is seldom a problem here. We run our systems almost without
restarting. HD life is very much limited once they heat over 55 degrees
centigrade. Had a few problems with the early Maxtor 200Gb disks (3 disks
within two weeks). Adding a extra cooling ribs to the disk and opening the
case in front of the disk helped. My advce install some (free!) HD
temperature software. It seemes by the way that a continuous running PC has
longer lifetime then one that cooles down and is restarted every day or so.
What is of interest to some may be how to bring down power consumption. For
instance if you consider the cost of a Pentium III at 1 GHz. versus a
pentium IV at 2200GHz a year of continuous operation differs about 100E. in
energy bills in favor of the PIII.

bye for now,

Arthur