Ever heard of ECOMET?

johnrigsec@...

In a message dated 15-01-04 10:04:53 GMT Standard Time, lucaberta@yahoo.com
writes:

So it looks like ECOMET could have somehow been another interface to
exploit in order to have a general European license for amateur MSG-1
reception (since there would be no fee associated).

Does anyone more about this effort? John maybe?

Bye, Luca
Brussels, Belgium
Luca,

Thanks for the information.

No, I had not heard of ECOMET but at the 2002 EUMETSAT Conference in Dublin
there was talk about more co-operation between Met. Offices in the future as
there will be a vast increase in the amount of data being sent from the new
series and number of environmental satellites to be launched in the not too
distant future.
So much data that one processing station couldn't possibly keep up not to
mention forecasters, etc. actually digesting all the data and producing models.

It was envisaged that perhaps various countries Met. Offices would deal with
one particular aspect of meteorology and then all the processed information
would come together from the various processing sources.

I'm not sure if this is the thinking behind ECOMET?

I'll see if I can find out more.

Regards,
John Tellick.

Luca Bertagnolio <lucaberta@...>

Browsing the Belgian Met Office website I've come across some infos
on a joint effort by most European Met Offices called ECOMET:

http://www.meteo.oma.be/ECOMET/

Its definition is this:

-----

The concept of ECOMET

ECOMET is an Economic Interest Grouping under Belgian law located in
Brussels. ECOMET was created end of 1995. Its 20 Members are the
National Meteorological Services (NMSs) of : Austria, Belgium,
Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Iceland,
Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden,
Switzerland, Turkey and the United-Kingdom.

The ECOMET grouping reinforces the traditional relationships amongst
the NMSs and the developing relationships with the private sector
within the relevant EU regulations.
[...]

-----

What I found interesting was this other paragraph:

-----

Objectives of ECOMET

The primary objectives of ECOMET are to preserve the free and
unrestricted exchange of meteorological information between the NMSs
for their operational functions within the framework of WMO
regulations and to ensure the widest availability of basic
meteorological data and products for commercial applications.

Further objectives of ECOMET are :

-to guarantee the access to meteorological data and products, be it
for public or private sectors.
[...]

-----