Eumetcast update - you may want to restart your Tellique client software

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

Thanks for a very informative update and well spotted on the
channel 3 bandwidth. Perhaps that is the most important upgrade of
all.

I didn't spot it, to be honest, I was told....

I am noticing already with the new Tellique that the .fsy seems to
be staying much smaller. With the older software I regularly had 2
large files despite never having a problem with segment loss...still
that's history now!

Due to the Eumetsat changes, rather than the upgrade of the Tellique
client.

I have just received your original advice direct from Eumetsat
OPS. in a mail. I really must repeat that the service from Eumetsat
OPS is superb.

It was the result of some discussions I had with Eumetsat about a
specific missing segment - just occasionally I dig into the log
files and if one PC gets the segment OK, and the other failed, I try
to understand why. Eumetsat have a very detailed understanding of
the operation of the Tellique system resulting in the tip which I
suggested passing on to this list.

Superb service from Eumetsat, as you say.

Douglas Deans <douglas@...>

Douglas,

The bandwidth on Data Channel 3 was increased as well, so there may
be a greater net flow of data into your PC for the Tellique client
to sort out. Unfortunately my own graphs only show net traffic, and
not per channel.

Yes I realised after I wrote the advice that there was perhaps
a "delete regularly" implication, which wasn't really intended.

It seems that: if you don't have a high error rate, the .FSY will
stay as a single file, and something round up to 50MB is OK. If
lots of fragments start to get cached (and the expiration time
before was 7 days), and the FYS files approach 100 + 100 + 50MB
(i.e. three files), then there is a chance that accessing these
files may cause a timeout in the Tellique software perhaps resulting
in missing segments. Reducing the expiration time should reduce the
amount of caching.

I back Arne van Belle's recommendation to delete any .FSY files
prior to starting the Tellique client. Doing this as part of the
shutdown process would be ideal!

In addition, if you get a bad segment spell, due to high wind or
whatever, and the .FSY file is more than 50MB or there is more than
one file, restart the Tellique client as described.

Thanks for a very informative update and well spotted on the channel 3
bandwidth. Perhaps that is the most important upgrade of all. Of course
the real benefit of that won't be fully appreciated until all SEVIRI
products are back....but excellent news. With all my troubles yesterday I
did not notice this.
I am almost certain that is what brought about the chaotic computer
behaviour, but why this time, when such operations have been carried out
many times before without incident to me. Still it was a good excuse to
update the very old software.
I am noticing already with the new Tellique that the .fsy seems to be
staying much smaller. With the older software I regularly had 2 large files
despite never having a problem with segment loss...still that's history now!
I have just received your original advice direct from Eumetsat OPS. in a
mail. I really must repeat that the service from Eumetsat OPS is superb.

Thanks David

Douglas.

David Strickland <david@...>

--- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "David Taylor" <david-taylor@b...>
wrote:
Folks,

Following changes in the Eumetcast system tuning on January 6th to
optimise the file expiration time, you may find it beneficial to
restart your Tellique client if it normally runs continuously and
Just restarted my system, has been switched off for a couple of
weeks. So far no missing segments!! Perhaps it is because there is
less data but I would like to think that the changes have reduced my
missing segment problem. Let you know next Tuesday if the improvement
is permanent. (No other changes to system, did delete 0.fsy file as
recommended.)

Regards David S.

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

David, following our various direct mail chats yesterday, it does
seem an awful coincidence that the 6th was the day that my disasters
struck.
All continues to go well so far with the new software.
The above advice is not implying that there is benefit in deleting
the .fsy files every night.....small batch file ?