Tellique and the newer Intel & AMD processors

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

Folks,

I note from the release notes that the Tellique software does not
work with the Hyperthreading feature of newer processors enabled.
Indeed, I turned that feature off in the BIOS on my latest PC. Has
anyone tried the software with Hyperthreading enabled? (Recent
Pentium 4 processors have this "HT" feature.)

Looking ahead, has anyone tested with the AMD 64-bit processors?
These are now on sale and being offered to new PC purchasers. I
would hate to think of someone spending a large amount of money only
to find the software didn't work!

gerald ashford <gerald.ashford@...>

david
i dont know if i'm looking at the right thing but my p4 has hyperthreading auto or disabled my computer is set to auto
and every thing is ok nice pictures
my computer is 2.4cpu 1gig memory may be the 1gig mem helps to keep it working
gerald

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

--- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "gerald ashford" <gerald.ashford@n...>
wrote:
david
i dont know if i'm looking at the right thing but my p4 has
hyperthreading auto or disabled my computer is set to auto and every
thing is ok nice pictures.
my computer is 2.4cpu 1gig memory may be the 1gig mem helps to
keep it working
gerald
Thanks for the report. It only applies to the PC with the DVB card
and Tellique software installed. Hyperhtreading is only enabled
with Windows XP, service pack 1, I believe. The check is to see if,
when running the Windows Task Manager, Performance tab, two CPU
usage plots are displayed side-by-side or just one.

As I said, I don't have direct experience of this, just what I saw
in the release notes. If it actually does work OK, great!

fvalk <fvalk@...>

I had read the hyperthreading note as well and had it initially disabled.
However once my new PC had become stable I decided to activate it again. Over a
period of about 3 weeks now I didn't get a single disruption, alarm or
unexplained lost segment. So it may not be officially supported (tested?) but
it certainly does work in my system.
On 64 bit CPU I can not tell you.

Cheers,

Ferdinand

I note from the release notes that the Tellique software does not
work with the Hyperthreading feature of newer processors enabled.
Indeed, I turned that feature off in the BIOS on my latest PC. Has
anyone tried the software with Hyperthreading enabled? (Recent
Pentium 4 processors have this "HT" feature.)

Looking ahead, has anyone tested with the AMD 64-bit processors?
These are now on sale and being offered to new PC purchasers. I
would hate to think of someone spending a large amount of money only
to find the software didn't work!

Guy Martin <agm@...>

Most software isn't written to make use of hyperthreading and as you pointed out some actually fails. In fact most software can't make use of multi-processing. We are (work this is) replacing 100 clients in the summer. 64 bit is an option, if anyone has one let we know what it does, or more importantly doesn't.

Cheers, Guy

I note from the release notes that the Tellique software does not
work with the Hyperthreading feature of newer processors enabled.
Indeed, I turned that feature off in the BIOS on my latest PC. Has
anyone tried the software with Hyperthreading enabled? (Recent
Pentium 4 processors have this "HT" feature.)

Looking ahead, has anyone tested with the AMD 64-bit processors?
These are now on sale and being offered to new PC purchasers. I
would hate to think of someone spending a large amount of money only
to find the software didn't work!

----------

Roger Mawhinney <roger@...>

I was at a recent seminar (October 2003) in an Intel fabrication plant and
whilst Hyperthreading was not the main topic, it was discussed. It should
work quite transparently with Windows XP, taking advantage of those
operations that specifically support it such as Microsoft Internet Explorer.
In essence, your normal application should run as usual, but applications
such as IE run as if using a second processor. I saw demos using Microsoft
Office, Abode Reader and a few other applications all loading and running
very fast indeed - well they would since it was Intel running them! I would
venture to suggest however, that the motherboard may need to be using
Intel's latest chipset. Also make sure you've got all the latest XP
upgrades and patches from Microsoft and drivers for your PC.
Roger

|I note from the release notes that the Tellique software does
|not work with the Hyperthreading feature of newer processors enabled.
|Indeed, I turned that feature off in the BIOS on my latest PC.
| Has anyone tried the software with Hyperthreading enabled?
|(Recent Pentium 4 processors have this "HT" feature.)
|
|Looking ahead, has anyone tested with the AMD 64-bit processors?
|These are now on sale and being offered to new PC purchasers.
|I would hate to think of someone spending a large amount of
|money only to find the software didn't work!
|
|Cheers,
|David
|

|Yahoo! Groups Links
|
|To visit your group on the web, go to:
|
|To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
|
|Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
| http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

g.kruger <g.kru@...>

David,

The Hyperthreading feature of my PC is turned on and I did not get something working wrong.

I use a 3.2 PC, HP enabled and memory is 1024

Cheers

Gérard