Topics

Firewalls and MSG-1

Lawrence <lawrence@...>

In order to use MSG DM across a home network, I have had to disable the
XP Pro firewall. When it is enabled, the other computers on the network
cannot see the main (processing) computer. Does anyone know whether the
MS firewall can be taught that the internal network is OK? I have not
found any reference to this in MS help files.

TIA

Lawrence Harris

James Brown

In message <n6abuv8416ffo8717peanag8939rf69fgc@4ax.com>, Lawrence <lawrence@astronomer.plus.com> writes
In order to use MSG DM across a home network, I have had to disable the
XP Pro firewall. When it is enabled, the other computers on the network
cannot see the main (processing) computer. Does anyone know whether the
MS firewall can be taught that the internal network is OK? I have not
found any reference to this in MS help files.

TIA

Lawrence Harris
Hi Lawrence,

Do you mean not at all or it takes a long time for the network to establish the computers in the workgroups and to begin to access the files?

I can use a laptop with Windows XP home edition to access the main computer (also XP home)via a 11mHz Wireless router/ modem network, both are firewalled and files come across OK. But it can take several minutes for the computers to begin to recognise the existence of each other.

Cheers,

James
--
James Brown

Robert Moore

Lawrence I found this a nightmare, as was Zone Alarm. I just work with Cisco VPN
software running now (even though I have no actual VPN installed). No problems
with that.

Robert

<lawrence@astronomer.plus.com>:

In order to use MSG DM across a home network, I have had to disable the
XP Pro firewall. When it is enabled, the other computers on the network
cannot see the main (processing) computer. Does anyone know whether the
MS firewall can be taught that the internal network is OK? I have not
found any reference to this in MS help files.

TIA

Lawrence Harris

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

------------------------------
Robert Moore

tel and fax: 44 (0) 1352 714456

Douglas Deans <douglas@...>

[...]

Exactly the same here James. I have 2 computers on a simple (cross over)
network and either I wait a few minutes or 'force' recognition on start up.
I consider myself reasonably competent with computers but with one major
exception.....networks ! God bless the XP Network Wizard.

James Brown

Exactly the same here James. I have 2 computers on a simple (cross over)
network and either I wait a few minutes or 'force' recognition on start up.
I consider myself reasonably competent with computers but with one major
exception.....networks ! God bless the XP Network Wizard.

LOL Douglas! Yes indeed - I now consider myself to be a network expert because of all the problems I have had at one point or another!! The only thing is, I haven't a clue as to how they work, but if your problem happens to have matched mine - then of course I am an expert at that point!!

My network regularly goes down, I've had to re-install drivers for the access points, rename connections that for some strange reason become connection 3, followed by connection 4 etc. Discover that I hadn't logged all the computers in the same workgroup, unplug devices which have inexplicably locked up - usually on the wife's computer - , mains blips which have hung up the router, and in terms of re-booting - I am the King!!

Cheers,

James
--
James Brown

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

--- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, Lawrence <lawrence@a...> wrote:
In order to use MSG DM across a home network, I have had to
disable the XP Pro firewall. When it is enabled, the other
computers on the network cannot see the main (processing) computer.
Does anyone know whether the MS firewall can be taught that the
internal network is OK? I have not found any reference to this in
MS help files.

TIA

Lawrence Harris
I've seen no problems with this. I run a router, which could
provide DHCP addresses, although I have actually made the PCs have
static addresses. All the PCs run Zone Alarm, and the only setting
required is to say "trust the local network", which it sets by
default in any case. Each PC has the appropriate entry in &#92;system32
&#92;drivers&#92;etc&#92;hosts to enable it to find the other PCs. I run a
workgroup, and not a domain.

You should be aware that the XP Firewall only works to block
incoming requests, if a virus gets on your system it can do what it
wants. IMHO, it's better to use Zone Alarm which allows you to
specifically control which programs have access to the local network
and which have access to the Internet. On my Receiver PC I have
allowed access for Setup4PC, Server4PC and TQrecv. There was no
need to enable special access for the MSG Data Manager on the
Processing PC.

Alan Sewards <alan.sewards@...>

Lawrence,
Use the free Zone Alarm firewall. It is configurable and seems to work
well.

Best regards - Alan