A glitch

James Brown

Just to report a weird oddity today.

After starting up the Tellique s/ware the 'T' icon started slowly duplicating itself across the system tray. Looking at the log file it was attempting to start the child, then killing the child and starting again. Each time producing a new icon.

Trying to look at the HTML shell overview, would produce a few seconds of information before it stopped with a can't find page error.

Tried several re-starts and re-boots to no avail. Fired up the previous 2.3.0a version - worked just fine. Concluded that there was a need for a re-installation. Did this and now it's running fine. The only modification I made to the machine was to install the latest version of PROGDVB last night. So just in case that was the problem - now uninstalled - I thought I'd share this piece of info with the group. Otherwise it could be a computer going flaky!!

Cheers,

James
--
James Brown

Robert Moore

James, my Tellique software occassionally spawns a string of icons - but they
just go away when I run the mouse-pointer over them.
Robert

Quoting James Brown <satellite@meteosat.co.uk>:

[...]

------------------------------
Professor Robert Moore
Department of Sociology, Social Policy
and Social Work Studies
The University of Liverpool
Eleanor Rathbone Building
Bedford Street South
Liverpool
L69 7ZA

tel and fax: 44 (0) 1352 714456

James Brown

In message <1069598775.3fc0c8372d44d@webmailb.liv.ac.uk>, Robert Moore <rsmoore@liverpool.ac.uk> writes
James, my Tellique software occassionally spawns a string of icons - but they
just go away when I run the mouse-pointer over them.
Robert

Interesting Robert. Until today I have only occasionally had one extra - which like today they can go away when you hover the mouse over them. With the glitch today even the one icon was disappearing and reappearing, and data was definitely not coming down!

Cheers,
James
--
James Brown

Guy Martin <agm@...>

------------------------------
Professor Robert Moore
Department of Sociology, Social Policy
and Social Work Studies
The University of Liverpool
Eleanor Rathbone Building
Bedford Street South
Liverpool
L69 7ZA

tel and fax: 44 (0) 1352 714456

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

----------

Guy Martin <agm@...>

Again, I often show two icons, one of which vanishes with the mouse pointer hover.

Cheers, Guy

James, my Tellique software occassionally spawns a string of icons - but they
just go away when I run the mouse-pointer over them.
Robert

Quoting James Brown <satellite@meteosat.co.uk>:

> Just to report a weird oddity today.
>
> After starting up the Tellique s/ware the 'T' icon started slowly
> duplicating itself across the system tray. Looking at the log file it
> was attempting to start the child, then killing the child and starting
> again. Each time producing a new icon.

----------

Guy Martin <agm@...>

Empty reply, fingers in gear, brain not engaged

Guy

------------------------------
Professor Robert Moore
Department of Sociology, Social Policy
and Social Work Studies
The University of Liverpool
Eleanor Rathbone Building
Bedford Street South
Liverpool
L69 7ZA

tel and fax: 44 (0) 1352 714456

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

----------

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

----------

a_van_belle

--- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, James Brown <satellite@m...> wrote:
[...]

Hello James,

Seen this before. As I also have ProgDVB and TQ 2.3.1 installed, I
don't think that was the real cause. Stopping TQ is really causing
this problem.

If you see more than one T icon, there is a problem with the
temporary files (*.fsy) in the tellique&#92;receiving&#92;tmp folder.

As you know, during normal running these files can grow up to 100 Mb.
At restart TQ starts to interpret the 0.fsy file which might take
long. TQ thinks it's main process is halted and starts another TQ
process, and another and so on.
Eventually the temp file will be minimised and the other processes
will stop automatically.

To prevent this you can safely remove the *.fsy file BEFORE you re-
start TQ.
Don't know why these *.fsy files do grow so large. Monitoring shows
that they grow faster at lower signal quality and/or high cpu load.
Under normal conditions the 0.fsy file will grow over 80 Mb within
three weeks running TQ.

Greetings,
Arne van Belle

James Brown

[...]

Many thanks for that Arne. I will keep an eye on things and if the situation re-occurs then I'll try your suggestion.

Cheers
James
--
James Brown