Topics

GRB and BFR files

Tom Schoettle <tomsracing@...>

A program exists to decode GRIB2 data which is produced by the NWS.

Webpage: NDFD GRIB2 Decoder
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/mdl/NDFD_GRIB2Decoder/

I tested the Eumetsat GRIB file David sent me with the degrib.exe contained in the
program package and it reads the date and time from the grib. So it is a GRIB file.
The rest of the data I haven't tested up to now, but a quick look showed some
incompatibilities between the Data Tables used in Eumetsat and the NWS for GRIB2.

The NDFD GRIB2 Decoder is worth a look. It can generate images from all the
data contained in a GRIB2 file and generate a webpage linking all these images
together for easy viewing. That works for all the NWS Data covering the USA.
Recommended Download!!!

Description of the GRIB2 format is at:
FM 92-XII GRIB General Regularly-distributed Information in Binary Form
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/tdl/iwt/grib2/doc.htm

Tom

James Brown <james@...>

In message <E1ACKyc-0002bu-00@...>, Tom Schoettle <tomsracing@...> writes
Hello James,

unfortunately you picked the wrong program. this one is not for weather GRIB
files, it's made for HP calculator GROB files which happen to have the same file
extension as the weather GRIB files.
Thanks Tom - I thought it was a bit of a long shot, but worth giving a try. I also tried deleting the first text bytes and tried it again, but to no avail - so I guess as you say - wrong grb!

Cheers,
James
--
James Brown

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

I've downloaded and tried it but it...
It converts the grib example file even if with .grb extension but the
tif I've obtained is empty and the program writes "corrupt file"

and what about bufr?
Folks, both of these files seem to be in WMO (?) format where there is a
few bytes of text before the actual GRIB or BUFR data. You will need to
delete those bytes before processing....

Corrado Brigante <corrado@...>

I've downloaded and tried it but it...
It converts the grib example file even if with .grb extension but the tif I've obtained is empty and the program writes "corrupt file"

and what about bufr?

Cheers
Corrado