Topics

Missing segments

sergio mastripieri

Yes, I do and my intention is try to correlate this and other ovents found on receive log with missing segments message....

sergio

One missing segments since 0000UTC
msg-ch12, seg: 14

Tellique log shows file transmission ended/interrupted. Does anyone else see
this ?

MSG:2003-11-11 06:08:05.980:
All files of filelist 3fb07cb50017fea0 received

MSG:2003-11-11 06:08:13.715:
Disconnect from data channel `EUMETSAT Data Channel 2', address 224.223.222.21:
2511 completed (finished)

MSG:2003-11-11 06:08:13.793:
File transmission 3fb07cc30017feb8 ended/interrupted: 1 file missing/incomplete

MSG:2003-11-11 06:08:13.793:
Missed parts of file `H-000-MSG1__-MSG1________-HRV______-000014___-
200311110600-C_' id 3fb07cc30017feb7 from channel `EUMETSAT Data Channel 2'

MSG:2003-11-11 06:08:13.934:
Connect to data channel `EUMETSAT Data Channel 2', address 224.223.222.21:2511
completed (invited)

Peter

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
[click_here]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!_Terms_of_Service.

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

--- In MSG-1@..., "Peter Benney" <tugboat@g...> wrote:
One missing segments since 0000UTC
msg-ch12, seg: 14

Tellique log shows file transmission ended/interrupted. Does
anyone else see this ?

MSG:2003-11-11 06:08:05.980:
All files of filelist 3fb07cb50017fea0 received

MSG:2003-11-11 06:08:13.715:
Disconnect from data channel `EUMETSAT Data Channel 2', address
224.223.222.21:2511 completed (finished)

MSG:2003-11-11 06:08:13.793:
File transmission 3fb07cc30017feb8 ended/interrupted: 1 file
missing/incomplete

MSG:2003-11-11 06:08:13.793:
Missed parts of file `H-000-MSG1__-MSG1________-HRV______-
000014___-200311110600-C_' id 3fb07cc30017feb7 from channel
`EUMETSAT Data Channel 2'

Peter, the 0600 channel 12 segment 14 is not shown as missing here.
I guess it must have been a local effect at your end.

Peter Benney <tugboat@...>

One missing segments since 0000UTC
msg-ch12, seg: 14

Tellique log shows file transmission ended/interrupted. Does anyone else see this ?

MSG:2003-11-11 06:08:05.980:
All files of filelist 3fb07cb50017fea0 received

MSG:2003-11-11 06:08:13.715:
Disconnect from data channel `EUMETSAT Data Channel 2', address 224.223.222.21:2511 completed (finished)

MSG:2003-11-11 06:08:13.793:
File transmission 3fb07cc30017feb8 ended/interrupted: 1 file missing/incomplete

MSG:2003-11-11 06:08:13.793:
Missed parts of file `H-000-MSG1__-MSG1________-HRV______-000014___-200311110600-C_' id 3fb07cc30017feb7 from channel `EUMETSAT Data Channel 2'

MSG:2003-11-11 06:08:13.934:
Connect to data channel `EUMETSAT Data Channel 2', address 224.223.222.21:2511 completed (invited)

Peter

Robert Moore

Dear Dave M. and Dave C.
I only get the full Sun between April and mid-September. From now to late March
I will only see the Sun at the bottom of the garden. I'm on a north-facing
slope with high tress to the south, there is a shallow dip in the tree- line
around south which enables me to line up an HRPT dish until late October. The
_only_ line I have on Hotbird is from the place I have my dish. The erector
even tried the top of the chimney, to no avail. The bottom of the garden would
be unsuitable for various reasons including obstruction by my own trees. In my
current 'slot' I have about 5 degrees clearance over the trees.
The mounting pole is on brackets but it is also braced back against the wall
with a five-foot metal pole to give a rigid triangular structure.
The other 'side of the trees' is over the road, half a mile up a hill, through
the woods and the garden of another house. So some of us have no option but to
go high!
What we do for our hobby - anything but chop down trees (or move house)!
Let's wait and see if there is something other than the inadequacies of our
mountings before we (I) start climbing ladders. Plainly a lot of us are
currently having problems. Has anyone kept count of how many of us are still
having serious segment losses?

Robert

Quoting Dave Martin <Dave.Martin@...>:

and to reinforce Dave C's comments -

Our farmhouse has a shelter-belt of trees, and I was loathe to mount a dish
high on the house, so beyond the trees I have a 1.2m dish =at ground level=
on a substantial mount with lots of concrete ballast

As part of monitoring experiments, in the style of a mirror galvanometer, I
affixed a laser diode module to the rim of the dish projected onto a board
and pencil-tracked the deflection - a "good" gale only gave about 15
arc-seconds of movement of the dish

The second hand Channel Master dish I'm using for MSG has good
rib-reinforcement, but the 1m pressed steel dish I was using for Met-7, even
when mounted on a solid steam-pipe mounting, had noticeable flex and I
resorted to a number of wooden struts self-tappered at the rim and running
back/down to the ground to stabilise the rim. Before I stabilised it, I
could see the equivalent of a couple of degrees movement in a good storm !

Also, don't be afraid of a long lead-in with about an 85m (eighty five metre)
of CT100 lead into the house.

Dave M

From: Dave Cawley
Timestep Dartmouth England
e-mail Information@...
Web site http://www.Time-step.com
Tel. +44 (0)1803 833366
Fax. +44 (0)1803 839498

My thoughts, which should have been illustrated with a picture, are that all
the installations I have seen of 88cm dishes, the brackets used are barely
capable of holding a 45cm. And why so high, if a garden gets the sun, and
it would be a strange garden that couldn't, then the dish can be at ground
level, or certainly not waving high in the sky on flimsy brackets !

Dave

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

Sent: Saturday, November 08, 2003 3:57 PM
[]
Modern and cheap meters are just fine. But having looked at several
users
installations I can see the problem. I'll expand on this tomorrow.

Regards

Dave
What are your thoughts, Dave?

--- In MSG-1@..., "Peter Benney" <tugboat@g...> wrote:
David,

Having once again read the following :-

http://www.tellique.de/tq_tellicast/filebroadcast_p2.html

Do you think there could be errors in the dynamic key generation
on the Tellicast server. I am not refering to the encryption which
is not yet in place.

If the generation of the keys which enable each Tellique Client
User/Password to receive specific data channels and files become
corrupted this would explain why these problems are user and time
related.

Peter
Peter, as I understand it, the encryption is in place, but the
access to the encrypted files is currently open. There are
certainly files which only some people with eTokens get, and the
eTokens are matched with access control on the broadcast.

I would be very surprised if there is a key generation error on the
Tellicast server, affecting just certain users, at certain times,
and on certain channels. However, if the SNR remains good with no
uncorrected blocks it could certainly be an explanation. I have
certainly seen this problem, and I do use an eToken to access the
data stream.

Perhaps this is something that those affected should take up with
Eumetsat? A report here would be read by Eumetsat.

Luca Bertagnolio <lucaberta@...>

Alan,

--- In MSG-1@..., "Alan Sewards" <alan.sewards@c...>
wrote:
I don't know if Hotbird 6 has an analog transponder.
yes, there are a few analog PAL transponder in the same polarization
and band segment as the EUMETCast transponder:

10815H Duna TV
10974H TRT International

There are also some in the other polarization:

11079V France5/ARTE
11114V BBC World
11161V DW TV

If anyone has an analog receiver, you might want to try tuning the
channel, and then switching to the other polarization, to make sure
you don't see any spikes for the transponder in quadrature. If there
are traces of the signal, it means that the polarization angle of the
LNB is not perfectly aligned, so the LNB would need to be slighly
loosened from its support, and rotated in order to get rid of the
interfering channel.

Old trick from the analog world, not really applicable with the
digital birds any longer... infact digital TV is much less
susceptible to such misalignments, but in our case we're clearly
eating all the margins and accurate pointing becomes mandatory, as in
David's case.

Bye, Luca

Timestep <Information@...>

From: Dave Cawley
Timestep Dartmouth England
e-mail Information@...
Web site http://www.Time-step.com
Tel. +44 (0)1803 833366
Fax. +44 (0)1803 839498

Modern and cheap meters are just fine. But having looked at several users
installations I can see the problem. I'll expand on this tomorrow.

Regards

Dave

a_van_belle

--- In MSG-1@..., "Alan Sewards" <alan.sewards@c...>
wrote:
Roger,
When the Sky changeover took place, I found out by experience
confirmed
by asking people that the simple alignment meters only work if the
satellite in question has a radiating analog transponder. The
satellite used for Sky digital only has digital transponders so the
meter did not work. You can buy
digital alignment meters but they are several times more expensive.
If you can find the satellite by moving the dish, fine alignment
can be done using
the quality/signal strength features that most receivers offer -
e.g. the
one on Sky or the one on the SkyStar2 card. Fine alignment using
the signal
quality or BER is essential - signal strength is far too crude a
measure to
work for digital signals. I don't know if Hotbird 6 has an analog
transponder.

Alan and Roger,

Theoretically there is no difference in a satmeter for Digital or
Analog satellites/transponders. Both transpondertypes emits huge
amounts of RF energy but with different modulation techniques.
The satmeter only detects this RF enegery.

But I did hear about poorly functioning satmeters, probably due to
inferior design. In some cases the build-in beeper takes up to much
current, affecting the meter readout.
In other cases the gain knob to pre-set the meter half way is not
functioning correctly, giving an all or nothing readout.

A modern satmeter should be able to cope with higher frequencies (up
to 2200 Mhz) and the addition of 22 KHz imposed on the powersupply.
Older types might not be able to handle this as they were designed
for max 1750 MHz and only 13/18 V DC supply.

As we do not use the high band for MSG, the 22 KHz signal from the
receiver will be off and 11096 MHz will be converted to 1346 Mhz, I
don't think you need a modern, digital satmeter.

By aligning with the signal quality readout however, you know you are
tuned to that transponder and not to all transponders together.
Note that BER reading is not available anymore on the new Skystar
card. And you do need patience as the readout is updated in second
intervals.

Greetings,
Arne van Belle

Alan Sewards <alan.sewards@...>

Roger,
When the Sky changeover took place, I found out by experience confirmed
by asking people that the simple alignment meters only work if the satellite
in question has a radiating analog transponder. The satellite used for Sky
digital only has digital transponders so the meter did not work. You can buy
digital alignment meters but they are several times more expensive. If you
can find the satellite by moving the dish, fine alignment can be done using
the quality/signal strength features that most receivers offer - e.g. the
one on Sky or the one on the SkyStar2 card. Fine alignment using the signal
quality or BER is essential - signal strength is far too crude a measure to
work for digital signals. I don't know if Hotbird 6 has an analog
transponder.

Best regards - Alan