Setup help please

d.sweetland@btinternet.com

Hi all.

My apologies for the cross posting, however I just found this list where
most of the MSG activity seems to be rather than the RIG-L list where I
originally posted. I would really appreciate advice on the following:

I received the dish and SkyStar card earlier on this year, but have had
a number of problems getting a signal from Hotbird due to a large number
of trees due south of me. After a couple of days last week climbing all
over the house, moving the dish around the garden, I have finally found
one location where I can get a signal. The dish is now mounted with a
narrow view of Hotbird between the house and a large oak tree. Just hope
the neighbours do not complain as the top 2 feet is above the fence.

The dish is aligned to give the strongest signal on a satellite finder.

I installed the card and software following the instructions on David
Taylor's excellent web site. I ran Setup4PC on the status screen, the
Signal Quality indicator kept on alternating between 0% Out of Lock and
70% Locked. I then spent the next hour checking cabling etc. and out of
frustration opened TV4PC, immediately receiving the Sailing Channel.

I scanned all the transponders and now have some 90 TV and radio
stations which I can receive in excellent quality. When TV4PC is loaded
and running, Setup4PC shows a signal quality of 70%, SNR of 10.8 and a
zero BER, but as soon as I stop viewing a TV station, the signal
strength reduces to 0 and unlocked.

Is this correct?

On Setup4PC I also looked at Statistics and do not have any Active
PID's, unlike the screen shot on David Taylor's site. I do not have the
Tellique software installed yet, do I need this before seeing any Active
PID's in Statistics?

I am about to send the forms to Eumetsat, I have the MSG Image Data
Services Registration Form and the ATVOS Retransmission Service User
Registration Form.

The MSG form refers to HRIT and LRIT Direct Reception. What are the
correct service options for the MSG-1 retransmission?

Apologies for still asking basic setup questions.

Thanks,
Dave

M5LMY / G8LMY
Sandhurst Weather:
http://www.btinternet.com/~d.sweetland/met/mainframe.htm

Timestep <Information@...>

From: Dave Cawley
Timestep Dartmouth England
e-mail Information@Time-step.com
Web site http://www.Time-step.com
Tel. +44 (0)1803 833366
Fax. +44 (0)1803 839498

You really need to follow the set-up in TD 15 now. I don't think there is
anything wrong.

Dave

a_van_belle

--- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "David Sweetland" <d.sweetland@b...>
wrote:
....I can receive in excellent quality. When TV4PC is loaded
and running, Setup4PC shows a signal quality of 70%, SNR of 10.8
and a
zero BER, but as soon as I stop viewing a TV station, the signal
strength reduces to 0 and unlocked.

Is this correct?

On Setup4PC I also looked at Statistics and do not have any Active
PID's, unlike the screen shot on David Taylor's site. I do not have
the
Tellique software installed yet, do I need this before seeing any
Active
PID's in Statistics?
Yes this is correct. If you only installed the TV viewer and not the
Tellique CDROM, the wrong data service is set (Sat@once/EOL or T-DSL
all require ASTRA, not HOTBIRD).
So when you stop the viewer the tuner is set to a
frequency/transponder that might be vacant on Hotbird.

Just follow Dave Cawley's advice and read EUM TD15 carefully. Here
you will find how to set the EUMETCAST Data service manually.
But without Tellique you will only get the status screen and
Transponder info "Deutsche TeleKom AG:"
Or wait until you have Tellique installed, this wil set the data
service automatically (and remove the ability to watch TV channels).

I am about to send the forms to Eumetsat, I have the MSG Image Data
Services Registration Form and the ATVOS Retransmission Service User
Registration Form.

The MSG form refers to HRIT and LRIT Direct Reception. What are the
correct service options for the MSG-1 retransmission?
For more info on registration and filling out the forms I suggest you
browse through the RIG-L messages online. You can use search on all
messages when online.

Greetings,
Arne van belle

Roger Mawhinney <roger@...>

Dave
You need to add a Data Service for Eumetsat. You can either install the
Tellique DVB software which will remove the tv4PC viewer and all the
channels or you can add the Data Service manually via Setup4pc and thus
retain your TV channels.

In this latter case run the Technisat setup4pc - Satellite Settings - Data
Services
Provider Name - Add : IP Cast EUMETSAT
Transponder - Add - Transponder: 11096 MHz : H/L
Name: MSG
Proxy IP Address: 0.0.0.0
Proxy Port Number: 0
Check : Initial Locking Transponder
Unicast MAC Filter: Broadband Receiver
PIP List - Add (check Hexadecimal):
0x0064
0x012C
0x012D
0x01F4
- Uncheck: Autoset Multicast PIDs
Uncheck: Proxy Auto-Authentication

Assuming Technisat server4PC is running, right click and select the IP Cast
EUMETSAT service. You must of course have installed the Tellique tqrecv
software and edited the recv.ini file with your logon name and password.
Good luck
Roger

|My apologies for the cross posting, however I just found this
|list where most of the MSG activity seems to be rather than
|the RIG-L list where I originally posted. I would really
|appreciate advice on the following:
|
|I received the dish and SkyStar card earlier on this year, but
|have had a number of problems getting a signal from Hotbird
Snipped ...

Ian S Deans <ian@...>

Dave and Roger,

I have just recently got started with MSG and I am using the new version of
the Technisat card and what appears to be updated Tellique software.
Everything was literally automatic with me. I have to rush out at the
moment, but I will explain further in another mail. Meantime I suggest you
leave the data settings on the card well alone.

Regards

Ian

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

I have just recently got started with MSG and I am using the new
version of the Technisat card and what appears to be updated
Tellique software. Everything was literally automatic with me. I
have to rush out at the moment, but I will explain further in
another mail. Meantime I suggest you leave the data settings on the
card well alone.

Ian,

I think the problem comes when people don't wait for the proper
software and get a mixture of TV and Data reception modules.

BTW: what version does the Tellique software show on the HTML
shell? Mine says 2.3.0a.

Douglas Deans <douglas@...>

I have just recently got started with MSG and I am using the new
version of the Technisat card and what appears to be updated
Tellique software. Everything was literally automatic with me. I
have to rush out at the moment, but I will explain further in
another mail. Meantime I suggest you leave the data settings on the
card well alone.

Ian,

I think the problem comes when people don't wait for the proper
software and get a mixture of TV and Data reception modules.

BTW: what version does the Tellique software show on the HTML
shell? Mine says 2.3.0a.

Ian will get back to you (and the others) later but I do know it is still
2.3.0a. It is certainly much more automated than mine was but I'll leave
him to explain that.
Still a lot of odd missing segments this morning.

Ian will get back to you (and the others) later but I do know it
is still
2.3.0a.
Thanks, I know a later version is being beta tested right now.

Still a lot of odd missing segments this morning.
I reported that to Eumetsat today, but no acknowledgement as yet.
It is conforting to know that it's not just me, though.

Thanks, Douglas. David

Ian S Deans <ian@...>

Dave and Roger,

As you will appreciate it is difficult for me to make exact comparisons
between the older DVB card and the original Tellique software as I have
never used them, but things I had expected to need to do to get up and
running were not required more especially with the DVB card.

If you are using the new version of the DVB card it would appear that all
the necessary settings for the data channel for MSG are now pre programmed
including the PID's although it was necessary for me to enter one ( cannot
remember if it was 301 or 501 ) but until you have the Tellique software
this cannot be properly checked as its installation will alter some
settings. Once the Tellique software is installed all I required to do was
to go into Setup4PC/Data Services click apply and the icon in the taskbar
changed to green to show signal ok internet via broadband.

The Tellique software is the same version as before, but again there are
some changes. Putting in username/password is now part of loading the
software whereas before I think you had to change an ini. file after loading
was completed. Also under the older software you had to click on a desktop
icon to start up with the icon then appearing in your taskbar. Now as soon
as your computer is switched on start up does that for you and data starts
to flow immediately.

One point worth mentioning. One or two mails have suggested that once the
Tellique software is loaded it stops access to the TV channels should you
want them. That is not the case. Clearly you cannot take in MSG data and
watch TV channels, but if you stop MSG data simply click on TV4PC and TV
will be available. This applies to old and new cards.

I hope I have been of some help, but I am still very new to all this myself.
However it seems that installation is now more automated than it was for
those that were in at the beginning.

Regards

Ian

Paul Telco <paul@...>

Ian,

Could you let us know what versions of software you are using?

My system definitely will not receive TV once the Tellique software is
installed. I have DVB version 4.2.2 and Tellique version 2.3.0a.

Incidentally, in trying to reduce the unusually high number of missing
segments on my system, I moved the DVB card from PCI slot 1 to slot 0 as
described in the recent thread in this group. Big mistake. I reinstalled the
Tellicast software with no problem but the Tellique software would not even
install itself. I got 'Invalid page fault in module crtdll.dll' message and
installaion aborted. I reinstalled Windows (98 admittedly but it was working
reasonably well before) checked for duplicate and missing drivers elsewhere
but no
good. I'm just reverting to the original arrangement with the card in slot 1
and it all installs ok.

Paul

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

Could you let us know what versions of software you are using?

My system definitely will not receive TV once the Tellique
software is installed. I have DVB version 4.2.2 and Tellique version
2.3.0a.

As I recall it, the original Tellique installation removed the TV
stuff.

Incidentally, in trying to reduce the unusually high number of
missing segments on my system....

Paul, always check with the group here before assuming that missing
segments are your fault. During these trials, they may not be.
From a quick check here, there were missing segments up to about
cycle 1230 (UTC), although I've ahd no confirmation from Eumetsat of
this.

Oh, and moving the card is a sure way of loosing an afternoon in
subsequent re-configuration....something else that should be in the
FAQ!

Ian S Deans <ian@...>

Hi Paul,

I am using the new DVB card and the software is 4.2.2b The Tellique software
number is the same as you have but it clearly has changes as mentioned in my
mail to Roger and Dave.

I know that there has been some discussions in the past about the use of
Windows 98/ME etc although some people are clearly using these operating
systems with some success, but it is just possible that your problem of not
receiving TV might be connected to your operating system.

Having said that it is clear that some people have had a variety of
different problems setting up and others like me ( and Douglas a while
back ) have sailed through the set-up without the slightest problem. I am
only using one computer which is nearly three years old ( Athlon 1200, 768mb
ram ) and MSG is working like a dream. Ok I have to apply a bit of common
sense but I am using it for day to day things as before.

Basically I think that in general the hardware and software work fine ( you
will of course get the odd faulty card ) but when you think about the
complexity of the different computer set-ups that people must have it is
perhaps understandable why problems arise.

I suspect if you update to XP you would get TV. Its a nice operating
system -- very user friendly.

Best Wishes

Ian

Dave Martin <Dave.Martin@...>

Ian,
just for info (and hopefully not to prolong the non-MSG thread!) - the issues a number of early adopters saw re (lack of) TV viewing weren't OS related.
On a PC which had the Technisat DVB installed and functioning OK for TV (as some us did whilst waiting for Tellique), as soon as the early Tellique TQRECV was installed, TV ceased - because the data software installation script appeared designed to make a clean start and deliberately and explicity deleted the DVB TV facilities so it was a pure data only receiver.
(and XP? - well IMHO agree most things are better than 9x and definitley better than Win ME but NT4 or W2k still far more stable and reliable than XP for many things - and I have upgraded a number of XP machines to W2k !)
Dave M

I am using the new DVB card and the software is 4.2.2b The Tellique software
number is the same as you have but it clearly has changes as mentioned in my
mail to Roger and Dave.

I know that there has been some discussions in the past about the use of
Windows 98/ME etc although some people are clearly using these operating
systems with some success, but it is just possible that your problem of not
receiving TV might be connected to your operating system.

.
.
.

I suspect if you update to XP you would get TV. Its a nice operating
system -- very user friendly.

This email has been scanned by the Manxnet Mail Plus anti-virus system.
http://www.manx.net/solutions/mailplushome.asp

paul@...

Hello Ian and Group,

I started of with the DVB card in my office PC running XP. That was where I found that the Tellique software prevents TV reception. Hence my interest in your ability to receive both.

My present headaches with Win98 are because I have extended to a two PC setup using a second PC in my workshop to receive. The receive PC has to run 98 as I have other essential software which will definately not run on XP. (I don't plan to use the other software while receiving!). Otherwise I would jump to install XP on both - I agree with Dave Martin's view of XP/W2k over 9x.

The grief I suffered yesterday was prompted by extra missing segments on my system. I was looking at Tuesday's discussion of missing segments and comparing my MDM missing segments report to those posted. Mine always has two or more missing segments. That was why I decided to move the card from slot 1 to slot 0. It REALLY didn't work in slot 0 and I am still trying to get reception working again. Apparently using 'Add/Remove programs' to remove the Technisat and Tellique software and 'Device Manager' to remove the card from the hardware config still leaves references to the card in the operating system somewhere. Convincing it that it only has one card and that it is back in slot 1 has been a hard job. Strangely, the Technisat software doesn't mind and I get a nice green satellite Icon on my taskbar. It's the Tellique software that can't connect to it and the T icon remains red.

I thought computers were supposed to make life easier?

Paul

Guy Martin <agm@...>

Add/Remove programs often leaves references to hardware/software in the registry. The sure way is to use Regedit to search and remove any references ( some won't be removable but don't matter) to the relevant material sometimes using the vendors name as well as the device name. People start getting out the garlic and silver bullets when you mention registry editing but I've never broken one yet. You can back the registry up first if you wish.

Regards, Guy

[...]

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

----------

--- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Martin" <Dave.Martin@m...> wrote:

Ian,
just for info (and hopefully not to prolong the non-MSG thread!)
Well, it _is_ an MSG-1 thread as far as I can tell. Here's why!

Eumetsat has projects (e.g. for Africa) where end-users will not
have the support of large suppliers, and may have to do the
installation work themselves. Therefore anything we (as self-
installers) have to contribute may help Eumetsat or others develop a
package which is easier to install.

Examples: should the TV side be removed? It's great as first check
on operation but one can imagine some operators who may prefer
football to MSG-1 data! A checklist for moving a card might be
another useful aid we could contribute (you did check the IP
addresses, didn't you?).

Ian S Deans <ian@...>

Dave,

Thanks for the reply.

I do think though that the issue about TV ceasing after the installation of
the Tellique software is an interesting one. If as you say the early
Tellique software appeared designed to do this one would assume that
everyone who had installed this software would have the problem having
presumably used the TV to set-up the dish. However there are people who are
using the original Tellique software that don't have the TV problem which
does suggest that OS or set-up may play a part.
With modern computers. OS and the complexities of the various set-ups people
have, trying to get to the root of any problem is probably near impossible.
All part of the fun of the hobby !!

Regards

Ian

just for info (and hopefully not to prolong the non-MSG thread!) - the
issues a number of early adopters saw re (lack of) TV viewing weren't OS
related.
On a PC which had the Technisat DVB installed and functioning OK for TV
(as some us did whilst waiting for Tellique), as soon as the early Tellique
TQRECV was installed, TV ceased - because the data software installation
script appeared designed to make a clean start and deliberately and
explicity deleted the DVB TV facilities so it was a pure data only receiver.

paul@...

David,

(you did check the IP addresses, didn't you?).
Yes I did, using ipconfig from a dos window. Ipconfig returned three sets of addresses, the DVB card with correct ip address, my network card with correct address, and another one with all details 0 (ip address 0-0-0-0 etc).

I am assuming that the third one is part of the leftover config from when I had the card in a different slot. Does this sound like a reasonable assumption? Unless I can think of a more creative solution today, I am planning to format the drive and start from scratch with Win98 again tomorrow. Hopefully that'll fix it!

Ho hum,

paul

Timestep <Information@...>

From: Dave Cawley
Timestep Dartmouth England
e-mail Information@Time-step.com
Web site http://www.Time-step.com
Tel. +44 (0)1803 833366
Fax. +44 (0)1803 839498

I have lost the plot here, but if you moved the card the Tellique software
will have changed the .ini files without telling you. You need to check the
IP there, reset it, then write protect the file.

Dave

Douglas Deans <douglas@...>

I do think though that the issue about TV ceasing after the installation
of
the Tellique software is an interesting one. If as you say the early
Tellique software appeared designed to do this one would assume that
everyone who had installed this software would have the problem having
presumably used the TV to set-up the dish. However there are people who
are
using the original Tellique software that don't have the TV problem which
does suggest that OS or set-up may play a part.
With modern computers. OS and the complexities of the various set-ups
people
have, trying to get to the root of any problem is probably near
impossible.
All part of the fun of the hobby !!

Regards

Ian

I was up and running with Tellique before MSG-1 data had commenced, using it
for the EARS service.
I have to agree, that I have never had any problem viewing TV. (not that I
do it much). I am pretty certain this is down to installation methods. I
simply followed the Tellique instructions to a 'T' if you excuse the play on
words and symbols !
In addition, later on when MSG came along I had to download and install the
Tellique upgrade from Client 2.3.0 to 2.3.0a to deal with the larger
bandwidths etc. Again no problem. Using XP Home by the way.
One issue that may be important is that I did not set up a network between
my 2 computers until everything else was done. Not an intentional ploy
just that I ran on one computer until I got the spare down from the loft.
I am very inexperienced with networks but it seems to me that if there is
one thing guaranteed to upset 2 perfectly good computers it is networking
them !... it is an art. Mine works ok although not too sure how.....XP's
network wizard did the job !