Topics

Receiving CODA/Scihub data via EUMETCastView

Hugo

Hello,

Since a few weeks it isn't possible anymore to download CODA/Scihub data with EUMETCastView. For the moment I am working on the problem.
The CODA/Scihub API allows now to download individual parts of a complete product which is normally 600~700 Mbyte. This means that the download times will be much shorter.
I hope to publish a new version of EUMETCastView in a few days.
In the meantime its is always possible to download direct from the CODA/Scihub website ...

Kind regards,

Hugo

Daniele Guardigli

Thanks Hugo!

Il giorno lun 4 gen 2021 alle ore 09:26 Hugo <hvanruys@...> ha scritto:
Hello,

Since a few weeks it isn't possible anymore to download CODA/Scihub data with EUMETCastView. For the moment I am working on the problem.
The CODA/Scihub API allows now to download individual parts of a complete product which is normally 600~700 Mbyte. This means that the download times will be much shorter.
In the meantime its is always possible to download direct from the CODA/Scihub website ...

Kind regards,

Hugo

--
Daniele Guardigli

Philip Robinson

Hi
thanks for the prompt help.

I have only just started using EUMETcastvew but i am having difficulty getting to grips with it , particularly producing the final  images.
The problem
When  I Reload Segments, I have segments listed  below  eg Metop with 15 Nbr.in  dir , and also some other segments in Himawari 8. FengYun2H and GOES 16
I then use the 3D Globe and click on MetopA/B/c #0/0. Then on the 3D Globe you can see rectangles on the  Metop orbit. I then right click on one of the rectangles,changes from green to red, and click on Make Image ( and it seems to do that). I then go in to the Toolbox and  put a dot in GeoStationary. This is where i seem to get stuck. Every time I click on  one of the Bands I am asked for Select the Image Date and Time, and i cant seem to find a way of doing this. 
Also at the top of the Geostationary section in Toolbox there are two lines 1. Geostationary satellite images and 2. Image Date / Time . When i click in either of these nothing happens.

I am obviously doing something wrong.

Another problem
Also when i click on 'Download available segments from Scihub/CODA' I get a box  msg 'HTTP Status 401-Full authentication is required to access this source' and all i can do then is close this box. What do i need to access these segments from Scihub/CODA.

Heres hoping you can help. I have very basic knowledge with software, I hope I've explained it well

many thanks
regards
Philip Robinson

------ Original Message ------
Sent: 04/01/2021 08:40:33
Subject: Re: [MSG-1] Receiving CODA/Scihub data via EUMETCastView

Thanks Hugo!

Il giorno lun 4 gen 2021 alle ore 09:26 Hugo <hvanruys@...> ha scritto:
Hello,

Kind regards,

Hugo

--
Daniele Guardigli

AVG logo

This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software.
www.avg.com

Hugo

Hello Philip,

I presume you are receiving all the Eumetcast data in one directory in your PC. It is wise to change the cast-client-channels_bas.ini so that different channels are written to different directories.
Do the same for HVS-1 .

>  I then use the 3D Globe and click on MetopA/B/c #0/0. Then on the 3D Globe you can see rectangles on the  Metop orbit. I then right click on one of the rectangles,changes from green to red, and click on Make Image ( and it seems to do that). I then go in to the Toolbox and  put a dot in GeoStationary. This is where i seem to get stuck. Every time I click on  one of the Bands I am asked for Select the Image Date and Time, and i cant seem to find a way of doing this. 

To view the Metop image just select "Image" in the toolbar on the left. Metop are polar satellites ....

When you open the "Geostationary satellites" you will see tabs called ' Meteosat-11', 'Meteosat-10' etc. In these tabs you will find a list of the received segments of the different geostationary satellites. Every line in this list represents a collection of segments with the same timestamp.   Clicking on one of the band buttons will produce an image  for the selected band. The button "Color Image' will produce an image from tree different bands.

> Also at the top of the Geostationary section in Toolbox there are two lines 1. Geostationary satellite images and 2. Image Date / Time . When i click in either of these nothing happens.

These fields are not buttons but labels.... indicating which time collection you had chosen.

As you already know, the download part of EUMETCastView for CODA/Scihub is not working for the moment.

In 2017 I made a website ( https://hvanruys.github.io/  )with some explanation of the EUMETCastView program. Since than new features where added, but the general concept is still valid.  See "EUMETCastView introduction'.
The program EUMETCastWatcher is obsolete.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Hugo

Philip Robinson

Hi
Thanks for all that info

As regards the Metop image, i   have selected red rectangle on the Globe and then click on make image. It is obviously saving something , but i have no idea where these images are saved. However i did what you said and left click toolbar on image and all i have is a black screen.

As regards the 'Geostationary satellites' there are no tabs showing satellites. Would it help if i do a screenshot of the toolbox Geostationary tab.

This looks a great bit of software if i can get it working for me.
 I have davids Msg Data Manager and Msg Animator and they are brilliant.

thx again
Philip

Sent: 04/01/2021 15:56:57

Hello Philip,

I presume you are receiving all the Eumetcast data in one directory in your PC. It is wise to change the cast-client-channels_bas.ini so that different channels are written to different directories.
Do the same for HVS-1 .

>  I then use the 3D Globe and click on MetopA/B/c #0/0. Then on the 3D Globe you can see rectangles on the  Metop orbit. I then right click on one of the rectangles,changes from green to red, and click on Make Image ( and it seems to do that). I then go in to the Toolbox and  put a dot in GeoStationary. This is where i seem to get stuck. Every time I click on  one of the Bands I am asked for Select the Image Date and Time, and i cant seem to find a way of doing this. 

To view the Metop image just select "Image" in the toolbar on the left. Metop are polar satellites ....

When you open the "Geostationary satellites" you will see tabs called ' Meteosat-11', 'Meteosat-10' etc. In these tabs you will find a list of the received segments of the different geostationary satellites. Every line in this list represents a collection of segments with the same timestamp.   Clicking on one of the band buttons will produce an image  for the selected band. The button "Color Image' will produce an image from tree different bands.

> Also at the top of the Geostationary section in Toolbox there are two lines 1. Geostationary satellite images and 2. Image Date / Time . When i click in either of these nothing happens.

These fields are not buttons but labels.... indicating which time collection you had chosen.

As you already know, the download part of EUMETCastView for CODA/Scihub is not working for the moment.

In 2017 I made a website ( https://hvanruys.github.io/  )with some explanation of the EUMETCastView program. Since than new features where added, but the general concept is still valid.  See "EUMETCastView introduction'.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Hugo

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Philip Robinson

Hi Hugo
attached a couple of screenshots of my EUMETCASTview if it helps.
regards
Philip

Sent: 04/01/2021 16:35:10

Hi
Thanks for all that info

As regards the Metop image, i   have selected red rectangle on the Globe and then click on make image. It is obviously saving something , but i have no idea where these images are saved. However i did what you said and left click toolbar on image and all i have is a black screen.

As regards the 'Geostationary satellites' there are no tabs showing satellites. Would it help if i do a screenshot of the toolbox Geostationary tab.

thx again
Philip

Hello Philip,

Do the same for HVS-1 .

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Hugo

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Philip Robinson

Hi
I managed at last to produce an image of  Metop B segments. and thx for your help but i still cant find  a way of seeing the reloaded segments for himawri8, FY 2H and FY 2G and GOES16. 
I agree with the last post, It would be great if there was available a video or very easy tutorial for numpties like me, The EUMETCast  introduction sheets do help to some degree.
regards
Philip Robinson

Sent: 04/01/2021 19:25:42

Hi Hugo
attached a couple of screenshots of my EUMETCASTview if it helps.
regards
Philip

Sent: 04/01/2021 16:35:10

Hi
Thanks for all that info

thx again
Philip

Hello Philip,

Do the same for HVS-1 .

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Hugo

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Hugo

Philip,

For geostationary satellites you should see something like this :

Here I selected the second row of the list (2021-01-05 00:15) . By pushing the button "Color Image" , a color image will be produced with the colors Red = IR_016, Green = VIS008 and Blue = VIS006.
This is of course a bad example because 00:15 is at night ... but I suppose you understand me. By using the buttons for example IR_016 an infrared image will be created.
If you set the correct directories to Himawari8, FY2-X and GOES16 than the segments will appear in tabs Himawari8, Feng Yung etc ....

Kind regards,

Hugo

Philip Robinson

Hugo
Unfortunately as you can see from attached screenshot my Geostationary tab has nothing on the right. This is the problem. I havent aclue what i am doing wrong...must be something to do with the directories
i will get there
Theres also 2 screenshots attached of my directories for the incoming data if that is any help
regards
Philip

Sent: 05/01/2021 11:40:05

Philip,

For geostationary satellites you should see something like this :

Here I selected the second row of the list (2021-01-05 00:15) . By pushing the button "Color Image" , a color image will be produced with the colors Red = IR_016, Green = VIS008 and Blue = VIS006.
This is of course a bad example because 00:15 is at night ... but I suppose you understand me. By using the buttons for example IR_016 an infrared image will be created.
If you set the correct directories to Himawari8, FY2-X and GOES16 than the segments will appear in tabs Himawari8, Feng Yung etc ....

Kind regards,

Hugo

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Hugo

Philip,

First you have detached the Toolbox window from the main window. Make the Toolbox window a bit smaller and move it to the left of the main window. The main window will make place for the toolbox window to insert and then release the mouse button.
Second , you have to click on the left icon named "Geostationary satellites"  . You will than have a list where you can choose from.

Hope this helps...
Grts,
Hugo

Philip Robinson

Hugo
I knew it would be simple,  thats just me  , i miss the obvious.
I can now see the list of satellites .
Lots to play with now
Thanks for your help
No doubt when i have got used to EUMETCASTView , I will be attempting Pytroll/SatPy.
many thanks
Philip

Sent: 05/01/2021 14:08:16

Philip,

First you have detached the Toolbox window from the main window. Make the Toolbox window a bit smaller and move it to the left of the main window. The main window will make place for the toolbox window to insert and then release the mouse button.
Second , you have to click on the left icon named "Geostationary satellites"  . You will than have a list where you can choose from.

Hope this helps...
Grts,
Hugo

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Ernst Lobsiger

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 06:57 AM, Philip Robinson wrote:
No doubt when i have got used to EUMETCASTView , I will be attempting Pytroll/SatPy.
Philip,

you are certainly welcome to do so. Wait a couple of days and I will issue the updated version of the Starter Kit.
But be warned: I will not be as patient as Hugo just was. We are doing Open Source which means "take it or
leave it" or maybe improve it (as you got the source under the GPL3). Most of us do not have the capacity or
will to leed the hands of users on how to press the right button nor can we explain what can be read in manuals.
I'm in a similar situation regarding the main developers of PyTROLL/SatPy. They work and play on a much higher
level than me and expect that I have read the docs, tried the obvious and done a couple of more things before I ask.

Cheers,
Ernst

Philip Robinson

Ernst
Fully taken on board what you say and if it is too much for me, i will stick to what i am using now.
Hugo was very helpful and i hope the messaging between myself and Hugo and some of the info  might just  be useful for any other beginners who are not very technically minded but want to have a go at this.
thnx
Philip
This hobby must take alot of your time up. You are obviously very dedicated.

From: "Ernst Lobsiger via groups.io" <ernst.lobsiger@...>
Sent: 05/01/2021 15:47:07

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 06:57 AM, Philip Robinson wrote:
Philip,

you are certainly welcome to do so. Wait a couple of days and I will issue the updated version of the Starter Kit.
But be warned: I will not be as patient as Hugo just was. We are doing Open Source which means "take it or
leave it" or maybe improve it (as you got the source under the GPL3). Most of us do not have the capacity or
will to leed the hands of users on how to press the right button nor can we explain what can be read in manuals.
I'm in a similar situation regarding the main developers of PyTROLL/SatPy. They work and play on a much higher
level than me and expect that I have read the docs, tried the obvious and done a couple of more things before I ask.

Cheers,
Ernst

Virus-free. www.avg.com