From: MSG-1@groups.io <MSG-1@groups.io> On Behalf Of Francis Greaves
Sent: 20 December 2020 11:13
To: MSG-1@groups.io
Subject: [MSG-1] Where has the Bracknell Overlay gone?

Where has the Bracknel Overlay gone?
My scripts have been downloading it from http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/bracka.gif for years, but it has disappeared. I get redirected to https://old.wetterzentrale.de/pics/bracka.gif  but nothing there?
Thanks
Francis

Francis Greaves

Thanks, Robert. This coincided with moving my Emuetcast scripts to a different  virtual machine, so this was just another glitch I could have done without!
Seasons Greatings

nigel

Hi Francis,

the last Bracknell chart I have received is 18:00 UTC on the 19th - (yesterday) nothing today so the same problem here !

Regards

Nigel

On 20/12/2020 13:48, Francis Greaves wrote:
Thanks, Robert. This coincided with moving my Emuetcast scripts to a different  virtual machine, so this was just another glitch I could have done without!
Seasons Greatings

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

On 20/12/2020 11:12, Francis Greaves wrote:
Where has the Bracknel Overlay gone?
My scripts have been downloading it from http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/bracka.gif <http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/bracka.gif> for years, but it has disappeared. I get redirected to https://old.wetterzentrale.de/pics/bracka.gif <https://old.wetterzentrale.de/pics/bracka.gif>  but nothing there?
Thanks
Francis
There's a higher resolution "Bracknell" chart as part of the EUMETCast stream, or there used to be. GeoSatSignal knows about it.

Bracknell over DWDSAT - e.g. fx401-egrr_bwk_nt_p_000_000-0906070600-afsv.tiff and at least two other variants!

I suggest asking DWD or Ops.

Hi Francis,

is this what you are looking for? Riggisberg is 8km from my home :-). Seems to originate from metoffice.gov.uk (?) somewhere.

http://www.wetter-riggisberg.ch/Bilder/Zusatz.php?nr=8&kl=3

Francis Greaves

Perfect! Thanks Ernst!

Jeskynar

On Sun, 20 Dec 2020 at 15:38, Ernst Lobsiger via groups.io <ernst.lobsiger=belponline.ch@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Francis,

is this what you are looking for? Riggisberg is 8km from my home :-). Seems to originate from metoffice.gov.uk (?) somewhere.

http://www.wetter-riggisberg.ch/Bilder/Zusatz.php?nr=8&kl=3

All,

It seems you can get a *.png directly like this:

https://www.wetterzentrale.de/maps/archive/2020/bra/BRA_1_2020120900_45.png

All,

O.K. here is the one from today:

https://www.wetterzentrale.de/maps/archive/2020/bra/BRA_1_2020122000_45.png

Does anybody know what kind of map projection they use?

Paul Gulliver

if you scroll to the bottom there is an option to use Hi-Res 2147 by 1728 px

Paul

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

On 20/12/2020 18:59, Paul Gulliver wrote:
Another source is https://www.weathercharts.org/ukmomslp.htm <https://www.weathercharts.org/ukmomslp.htm>
if you scroll to the bottom there is an option to use Hi-Res 2147 by 1728 px
Paul

.. and that sounds like the resolution accepted by GeoSatSignal, and sent over EUMETCast.

On Sun, Dec 20, 2020 at 10:59 AM, Paul Gulliver wrote:

All,

I think Paul had the best address. I have tried others as well but had no luck with metoffice.gov.uk (as I had scripting in mind). These
links should be usable with wget(). Whether admins like it is another question. Maybe easier access if you register with metoffice.gov.uk?

www.wetter3.de
******************

12 hourly German (YYmmDDHH):

http://www1.wetter3.de/Archiv/DWD/20122000_DWD_Analyse.gif

http://www1.wetter3.de/Archiv/DWD/20122000_DWD_Analyse.gif

6 hourly U.K. (TODAY,branded "Archived by www.wetter3.de"):

http://www1.wetter3.de/Fax/00_UKMet_Boden+00.gif

http://www1.wetter3.de/Fax/06_UKMet_Boden+00.gif

http://www1.wetter3.de/Fax/12_UKMet_Boden+00.gif

http://www1.wetter3.de/Fax/18_UKMet_Boden+00.gif

www.wetterzentrale.de
**************************

It seems they have just 00 UTC (but in an archive YYYYmmDD00):

https://www.wetterzentrale.de/maps/archive/2020/bra/BRA_1_2020122000_45.png

https://www.weathercharts.org/ukmomslp.htm

LATEST FROM TODAY:

https://www.weathercharts.net/noaa_ukmo_analysis/PPVA89.gif

https://www.weathercharts.net/noaa_ukmo_analysis/PPVA89_fullsize.gif

6 HOURLY FROM TODAY SMALL SIZE (1179 x 864):

https://www.weathercharts.net/noaa_ukmo_analysis/previous/PPVA89_00z_last.gif

https://www.weathercharts.net/noaa_ukmo_analysis/previous/PPVA89_06z_last.gif

https://www.weathercharts.net/noaa_ukmo_analysis/previous/PPVA89_12z_last.gif

https://www.weathercharts.net/noaa_ukmo_analysis/previous/PPVA89_18z_last.gif

6 HOURLY FROM TODAY FULL SIZE (2358 × 1728) :

https://www.weathercharts.net/noaa_ukmo_analysis/previous/PPVA89_fullsize_00z_last.gif

https://www.weathercharts.net/noaa_ukmo_analysis/previous/PPVA89_fullsize_06z_last.gif

https://www.weathercharts.net/noaa_ukmo_analysis/previous/PPVA89_fullsize_12z_last.gif

https://www.weathercharts.net/noaa_ukmo_analysis/previous/PPVA89_fullsize_18z_last.gif

Have fun,

On Sun, Dec 20, 2020 at 07:16 AM, David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺 wrote:
There's a higher resolution "Bracknell" chart as part of the EUMETCast stream, or there used to be. GeoSatSignal knows about it.

Bracknell over DWDSAT - e.g. fx401-egrr_bwk_nt_p_000_000-0906070600-afsv.tiff and at least two other variants!

I suggest asking DWD or Ops.
David and All,

Francis Greaves poineered the use of overlays with PyTROLL. I have played around with the UKMO Ground Pressure overlay and others from DWD in Satpy.
Does anybody know whether the above mentionned charts still exist on DWDSAT. If so how do I register channel DWDSAT. I have not found DWDSAT in EOP.

Graham Woolf

Hi Ernst

I take DWDSAT and have found this file as an example

I would be interested in seeing your pytroll script that does the overlay

Kind Regards

Graham

Ernst Lobsiger

Graham,

this chart is 6 hourly. Do you get all 4 charts 00 06 12 18 per day?
What are the times these are disseminated? Can you check the (Linux)
time stamps of the received files and compare with the first date/time
in the file name (after Z__C_EDZW_ ...)? Thanks.

Graham Woolf

Hi Ernst

Here is a screenshot of the files - the timestamp should match when they were disseminated quite closely .

They are processed by David's MSG Data Manager as soon as the files are received

If you need any more info let me know

Regards

Graham

Ernst Lobsiger

Graham,

thanks for that. Most useful.

Graham Woolf

Hi Ernst

Glad it was helpful

How do you get the overlay to exactly match the geographical features in the satellite image

And how do you combine them - do you use imagemagik for that ?

Regards

Graham

Hugo

Hi Graham,

On the website  https://eumetsatspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/DSEC/pages/700055570/Channels+and+Packet+Identifiers+PIDs  there is a DWDSAT Channel in the basic services.
Do you know which service DWDSAT distributes on the EO portal. I suppose it is under 'Third Party Data Distribution' but which one ?

Kind regards,

Hugo