Receiving and Processing Geostationary Images

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

On 11/12/2020 10:50, Allan Sloan via groups.io wrote:
Thanks for information.
A couple of questions.
Is there a recommended DVB-S2 receiver to go for.
Is the LNB on a Sky dish suitable or is there a better alternative to use.
What is the link to get the EUMETSAT software and USB dongle.
Thanks for the help.
Regards Allan
Allan,

Receiver:
There are two basic choices - networked or dedicated. Networked are more expensive, but can feed multiple PCs. Of the dedicated the TBS range offer USB output (TBS5925 for low cost as second-hand or TBS5927 new, and perhaps slightly better performance), or PCIe card (can take both the Basic and both High-Volume services). USB works with any PC but only for BAS and HVS-1. PCIe means a desktop PC and opening it.

Suggest LNB be high gain (allowing longer cable runs) and a PLL one. I don't know how Sky mangle their LNBs - if at all. Try it and see! "Universal LNB" is a typical description. Twin output or quad (allows a separate lead for monitoring or multiple receivers):

Example:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/0-2dB-Premium-Twin-Universal-Inverto/dp/B07WFWQCKN

See the "Receiver Station" on the EUMETSAT site:
https://www.eumetsat.int/eumetcast

Includes "How to subscribe".

Allan Sloan