Topics

Starting from scratch

James Brown

On 27/07/2019 06:11, David J Taylor via Groups.Io wrote:
Thank you David,

I appreciate the tremendous meticulous detail that you have included.

Unfortunately I seem to have run into a brick wall with MRTG - I have
the SNMP running - security tab I have tried either with Arne's
suggestion of the IP address or the 'anyone' and when I run SNMP
informant I always get the message that SNMP security is currently not
configured on this machine and running cfgmaker doesn't extract
information for the cfg file.

I thought it was bad enough working through the 30 pages of notes for
HMRC Probate forms, but this has got me beat! And I read from your notes
that a couple of progs will always have to be uninstalled or restarted
following the monthly updates, so not sure if I can cope!

All the best,

James
==============================

James,

As I've mentioned before, often my Web pages are simply my own notes, with passwords removed!  What I didn't mention, but now recall, is that sometimes the SNMP community isn't defined (OK, that's another security point), and that stops SNMP working.  I've added that to my notes and added a screenshot:

 https://www.satsignal.eu/software/Win-10-notes.html#snmp

 https://www.satsignal.eu/software/screenshots/Windows-1903-SNMP%20service%20settings.png

Hope that helps!

The programs which need to be re-installed over updates are just the major version updates, which are effectively new installs. Not the monthly updates.

Whilst CFGmaker is a useful starter, I do recommend using the IP address of the PC (if it's fixed by address reservation in the router) rather than the interface number which CFGmaker uses. With major upgrades and other changes the interface number can, and does, change.  A pain, I know!

If anyone in Europe would like to help with EUMETCast monitoring - you would be very welcome:

 https://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_eumetcast-europe_link_margin.php
 https://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/dvb-s2/sr1-mrtg.html

It will help the longer-term monitoring of your own system to watch for any gradual degradation.

Success!! Thank you David - the initial cfg file is as one might expect very long! It reports 41 interfaces but I will need to do some serious editing! I will also need to sift through more of your guidance pages David!

It's been so long since I set up MRTG!!

Cheers,

James

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

[...]

On 26/07/2019 19:49, David J Taylor via Groups.Io wrote:
James,

Incidentally, that problem, and some other issues including TelliCast ones, are mentioned in my Windows-10 notes:

 https://www.satsignal.eu/software/Win-10-notes.html

which might be worth a glance.

[...]

Thanks both for the alternatives. Hoping there are no special permissions that need to be set.

James

JB out and about

On 26 Jul 2019, at 16:12, Thorsten Miglus <thorsten.miglus@...> wrote:

James,

With Windows 10 1903:
you can go to Apps & Features.
Then select Optional Features
And there it is...

Cheers,
Thorsten

<SNMP0.jpg>

<SNMP1.jpg>

On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 04:23 PM, James Brown wrote:
Interesting - I saw a method using powershell and although it entailed a lot of typing it did the trick - so I pass on the tip in case anyone else is starting from scratch.

https://windowsreport.com/restore-missing-snmp-windows-10/

Cheers,
James

Thorsten Miglus

[...]

On 26/07/2019 15:02, James Brown wrote:
Good day all,

Following the demise of my main receiving computer I am starting from scratch to rebuild a working station.

AFter resolving an e-token issue the next problem needs me to ask - in the latest WIndows 10 SNMP is not available in 'Turn Windows features on or off' or as a service. I am wondering what the alternative might be as I need to be able to install monitoring progs again.

Thanks in advance for your help,

James