From: Office for National Statistics <ONS@...>
Sent: 23 July 2019 12:03
To: Moore, Robert <rsmoore@...>
Subject: Green spaces in residential gardens

View as a webpage

office for national statistics

News, stories and data visualisation 23 July 2019
Green spaces in residential gardens

Today, the Office for National Statistics’ Data Science Campus and Ordnance Survey have released a report which looks at a new tool to help identify the amount of green space in Britain’s urban residential gardens.

Tom Smith, Managing Director at the ONS Data Science Campus, said: “Through our work with Ordnance Survey we’ve developed a new tool w to provide more accurate estimates of how much of our gardens are covered with vegetation than has previously been suggested. This tool is intended to be useful to policy makers when planning a wide range of different measures from flood risk through to estimating the country’s carbon footprint.

“Through our Data Science Campus we are looking at how new cutting edge techniques can help improve the way we look at data. These techniques will help with our mission to mobilise the power of data to help Britain make better decisions and improve lives.”

Using a state-of-the-art image classifying technique with high-quality aerial imagery, initial results estimate that 62% of garden spaces in Great Britain are covered by vegetation. Previous estimates of green spaces have assumed that 100% of gardens are covered by vegetation.

Go to our report

This email was sent to rsmoore@... using GovDelivery Communications Cloud on behalf of: Office for National Statistics · Room 1.101 · Government Buildings · Cardiff Road · Newport · South Wales · NP10 8XG · 0845 601 3034

GovDelivery logo