Topics

changes on SR1 to receive HVS1 and BASIC at the same time ... if possible, of course!

iz1kbp <bmario1@...>

Hello everyone.
I need clarification: to enable reception of HVS1 on SR1, at the same time as BASIC SERVICE (
regardless of the antenna), is it sufficient to change the MODCODS and update the firmware to the latest version?
My soft ver is 1.05b250 , firm ver  2.02b922....
I should update to the latest software version...true?
I read the eumetsat tutorials but am I not sure I understood correctly!!
I realized that to receive HVS2, another receiver is needed, but it is not my case.

Sorry for the ignorant question but sometimes the interpretation of some documents in English is not so immediate for me
Thanks to anyone who can give me advice.

Mario

David J Taylor

Hello everyone.
I need clarification: to enable reception of HVS1 on SR1, at the same time as BASIC SERVICE (regardless of the antenna), is it sufficient to change the MODCODS and update the firmware to the latest version?
My soft ver is 1.05b250 , firm ver 2.02b922....I should update to the latest software version...true?
I read the eumetsat tutorials but am I not sure I understood correctly!!
I realized that to receive HVS2, another receiver is needed, but it is not my case.
Sorry for the ignorant question but sometimes the interpretation of some documents in English is not so immediate for me
Thanks to anyone who can give me advice

Mario
==================================

Mario,

I have software: 1.05b264 and FPGA: 2.02b022. EUMETSAT says 1.05b264 is "strongly suggested", so upgrade.

Yes, you are correct - just change the MODCODs. Either use the EUMETSAT configuration tool, or do it by hand:

https://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/Ayecka/Next-steps.html#modcod

Your English is much better than my Italian!

Ciao,

Mario Brustia

Ciao David...

Thank's a lot!!

Unfortunately, in website  there is a lot of link/sub page and , afther a long trip, I'm lost in "htlm space"!!

In my last chek (last week), I had not found your link.

Now with you link, I've found it and I' have understood!!

Thank's again David

73 Iz1kbp, Mario

Il 23/07/2019 09:15, David J Taylor via Groups.Io ha scritto:
[...]

Mario Brustia - IZ1KBP
Pilota SAPR ENAC I.APR 012008 - Operatore ENAC 35270/37066
mario.brustia@...
mario.brustia@...
LOC JN45IK - 45.4167N 8.6667E - QRZ
www.meteotrecate.it
Facebook >> brustiamario
sent from client

Mario Brustia

Hi David ... a doubt:
I changed the code like from your site (H41000).Bas service is ok (withe icon) ,Hvs1 is in connect status (Yellow icon but license tab ok).

Question: HVS1 is sent by eumetsat by default or is it necessary to enable some options in the EO portal?

I know I will have mistakes in data because I have a small dish, but I only need it for experimentation, to undestand the  cast system.
excuse the stupid question

mario

David J Taylor

Hi David ... a doubt:
I changed the code like from your site (H41000).Bas service is ok (withe icon) ,Hvs1 is in connect status (Yellow icon but license tab ok).
Question: HVS1 is sent by eumetsat by default or is it necessary to enable some options in the EO portal?
I know I will have mistakes in data because I have a small dish, but I only need it for experimentation, to undestand the cast system.
excuse the stupid question

mario
====================================

Mario,

Not a stupid question! If you look at the EUMETSAT guide section 4.5.2.1:

http://www.eumetsat.int/website/wcm/idc/idcplg?IdcService=GET_FILE&dDocName=PDF_DMT_730927&RevisionSelectionMethod=LatestReleased&Rendition=Web

they show a list of PIDs for both services:

RX Transport Filter Table
=========================
Slot. PID Ethernet Address Status IP Multicast
1. 100 CC-F6-7A-04-CA-B8 Enabled Pass
2. 300 CC-F6-7A-04-CA-B8 Enabled Pass
3. 301 CC-F6-7A-04-CA-B8 Enabled Pass
4. 500 CC-F6-7A-04-CA-B8 Enabled Pass
5. 509 CC-F6-7A-04-CA-B8 Enabled Pass
6. 511 CC-F6-7A-04-CA-B8 Enabled Pass
7. 600 CC-F6-7A-04-CA-B8 Enabled Pass
8. 601 CC-F6-7A-04-CA-B8 Enabled Pass

Do you have 600 and 601 enabled?

Mario Brustia

Ciao David...
Yes PID 600 and 601 are anabled...I'll do a more deep investigation (may be a wrong configuration ?)
may be.... the usual problem: worng interpretation of an english tech documentation!  .
For the moment ...thank's again.
Mario

Mario Brustia

mmmm...sorry...in the eumetsat guide I read about enabling configuration setting 2 for the receiver 1.
I entered them in the current configuration together with the bas pids. Is it wrong?
mmmm....

David J Taylor

From: Mario Brustia

mmmm...sorry...in the eumetsat guide I read about enabling configuration setting 2 for the receiver 1.
I entered them in the current configuration together with the bas pids. Is it wrong?
mmmm....
===================================

Mario,

Why not use the EUMETSAT scripts for setting the receiver configuration? USB required, and then edit the network addresses to suit your system?

Ciao,

Mario Brustia

I have not found Any script on umetsat Ftp site. I have found only bios/firmware upgrade end tellicast procedure/software. Have you the correct link ti the script?
Tnx in avance
Mario

Mario Brustia - IZ1KBP
Pilota SAPR ENAC I.APR 012008 - Operatore ENAC 35270/37066
mario.brustia@...
mario.brustia@...
LOC JN45IK - 45.4167N 8.6667E - QRZ
www.meteotrecate.it
Facebook >> Brustiamario
sent from webmail

From: Mario Brustia

I have not found Any script on umetsat Ftp site. I have found only bios/firmware upgrade end tellicast procedure/software. Have you the correct link ti the script?
Tnx in avance
Mario
=================================

Mario,

Did not see the links in the document I mentioned?

ftp://ftp.eumetsat.int/pub/OPS/out/user/EUMETCast_Support/EUMETCast_Licence_cd/Windows/DVB_devices/SR1/SR1_Configuration_Files/

Ciao,

Mario Brustia

Ciao David,
Yes,i have seen these scripts some days ago.when I upgraded the sr1,like you post,i hard upload the eumetsat
Script tool (1st to 4th).
I have make many test befor ask in forum,but without
Success.
For the Moment i stop here my test due hard job in my home.
Thank's Sony day for the support

Da: MSG-1@groups.io
A: MSG-1@groups.io
Data: Thu, 8 Aug 2019 19:41:13 +0100

From: Mario Brustia

I have not found Any script on umetsat Ftp site. I have found only
bios/firmware upgrade end tellicast procedure/software. Have you the correct
link ti the script?
Tnx in avance
Mario
=================================

Mario,

Did not see the links in the document I mentioned?

ftp://ftp.eumetsat.int/pub/OPS/out/user/EUMETCast_Support/EUMETCast_Licence_cd/Windows/DVB_devices/SR1/SR1_Configuration_Files/

Ciao,

Mario Brustia

Sorry ,but using smartphone with auto correcor in italiano,is hard writhe in enghlish!
:)

Da: MSG-1@groups.io
A: MSG-1@groups.io
Data: Thu, 8 Aug 2019 19:41:13 +0100

From: Mario Brustia

I have not found Any script on umetsat Ftp site. I have found only
bios/firmware upgrade end tellicast procedure/software. Have you the correct
link ti the script?
Tnx in avance
Mario
=================================

Mario,

Did not see the links in the document I mentioned?

ftp://ftp.eumetsat.int/pub/OPS/out/user/EUMETCast_Support/EUMETCast_Licence_cd/Windows/DVB_devices/SR1/SR1_Configuration_Files/

Ciao,

David J Taylor

Mario,

Your messages from your phone come across here with no text - just blank messages. Could you please ensure there is plain text content in addition to the (unnecessary) HTML?

Thanks,

Mario Brustia

Hi David, this morning I'm tired, I'm changing the floors of the house and so I don't want to think ... I asked google translator for help.

 I tried to read mail on my smartphone but I realized that there are many problems writing in English with the automatic corrector in Italian that changes the words as and when it wants :)
The scripts you were talking about had already loaded them when, in your first replay, you advised me to upgrade the sr1.
I had already tried them, from the first to the fourth (not really understanding the real difference I had made tests with everyone
)
Before continuing with the posts, I tried but without any concrete results: the BAS always worked but nothing to do for the hvs1.
I also tried to lower the signal threshold levels.
With the 85cm dish I don't expect to have a perfect stream in hvs1, but some data, even if full of errors, just to understand that it works, I think I should receive it.
There is a strange thing when opening the shell of the two systems: in hvs1 all the data are not present (see attachments).

Of the 4 scripts, present on eumetsat, excluding those destined for africa, which of the 4 is the correct one to have hvs1 and bas, I finally loaded the second one (/ SR1CFG_DVBS2_ACTIVE_CONNECTED_MNGT-MLCST-ON_HVS-ENBLD_THRHLDS06-07_v255 /)?
There is something that escapes me but I can't understand what it is....

Grazie per il supporto!!

HAve a nice day!

Mario

David J Taylor

[...]

Mario, you are working very hard!

This is my understanding of the four scripts. There are two choices:

1 - whether the data and management ports on the SR1 are CONNECTED (so that data comes out of the Management port), or ISOLATED, so that data comes from the Traffic port, and you need two Ethernet leads to connect the box to your system, with the data lead going to a PC, and the management lead going to your "house" LAN.

2 - Whether you want the Basic Service alone, or both Basic and high Volume 1 services.

BS alone, connected:
SR1CFG_DVBS2_ACTIVE_CONNECTED_MNGT-MLCST-ON_HVS-DSBLD_THRHLDS-06-03_v255

BS & HVS-1, connected:
SR1CFG_DVBS2_ACTIVE_CONNECTED_MNGT-MLCST-ON_HVS-ENBLD_THRHLDS06-07_v255

BS alone, isolated
SR1CFG_DVBS2_ACTIVE_ISOLATED_MNGT-MLCST-OFF_HVS-DSBLD_THRHLDS-06-03_v255

BS & HVS-1, isolated
SR1CFG_DVBS2_ACTIVE_ISOLATED_MNGT-MLCST-OFF_HVS-ENBLD_THRHLDS06-07_v255

Do check the Es/No of the SR1 - it should be at least 11 dB for reasonable HVS-1 reception, ideally 13 dB or better.

You should also check the SR1 version numbers - here I see:

Software: 1.05b264
FPGA: 2.02b922
Hardware: 2.00 or 2.05 or 2.10 (on the three SR1s I have here)

I don't know, but I wonder whether the lack of licence information for HVS-1 simply suggests that you don't have a good enough signal. Don't forget that every aspect of dish alignment is critical for the best possible SNR or Es/No:

- elevation
- azimuth
- LNB skew (rotate the LNB)
- LNB focus (move the LNB nearer to or away from the dish)

Comparing with the stations here:
https://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_eumetcast-europe_link_margin.php

Trieste has a 125 cm dish and gets 4 dB link margin, your 85 cm will be ~3 dB down so quite marginal for HVS-1.

Ciao,

Mario Brustia

Ciao David....hard day...today!!!! 1st floor done.... tomorrow the second one!!
For today I've stopped the "concrete" job and now,start the "electronic" job...   :))

Anyway....
I've read the signal from consol ,with more attention:
My es/no , with cloud, is 7.2 db
Demodulation link margin is -2.4 db
In my option, like from your suspect, I think that HVS1, with these low signal, is very very hard to decode.
Later, finances permitting, I will think of an upgrade of the satellite dish.
Unfortunately, finances are now spent on household expenses

Thanks anyway for the support!

Ps ...I've installed the "
BS & HVS-1, connected" script...

Have a nice day!!
Ciao

Mario

David J Taylor

Ciao David....hard day...today!!!! 1st floor done.... tomorrow the second one!!
For today I've stopped the "concrete" job and now,start the "electronic" job... :))

Anyway....
I've read the signal from consol ,with more attention:
My es/no , with cloud, is 7.2 db
Demodulation link margin is -2.4 db
In my option, like from your suspect, I think that HVS1, with these low signal, is very very hard to decode.
Later, finances permitting, I will think of an upgrade of the satellite dish.
Unfortunately, finances are now spent on household expenses
Thanks anyway for the support!

Ps ...I've installed the "BS & HVS-1, connected" script...

Have a nice day!!
Ciao

Mario
====================================

Mario,

I bet the house will look very good when you are finished, but the work must be tiring!

Thanks for that - you've explained the reason for HVS-1 failing. Approximately, the link margin is about 6 dB less than the Es/No for the basic service, so in the cloudy conditions you have a margin of just 1.2 dB. So the signal only needs to be 1.2 dB lower, and you will lose the basic service. For the high-volume service the difference is about 9.3 dB, so the signal is already 2.1 dB below the threshold - as you have indicated.

Until you get a better signal, just install the BS-alone script, as you will lose BS data by trying to receive the HVS-1.

But what size if dish do you have? Perhaps it just needs aligning perfectly to give you a little more signal.

Ciao,

Mario Brustia

David..thanks for the encouragement !!
Now, this evening afther "concrete"....I'll install the bas only CFG, like from your suggest!
Mi dish is an old 85cm and w
hen I transferred the whole satellite system to the new house, I spent a lot of time on the roof in the hope of getting a good alignment.
Perhaps it is also a bit "dated" LNB ... but for now I will stop here.
I came back to the bas system.
First I finish the house, first I come to live, first I rest and before .... I go back to follow my passions!
For now I have only transferred the computer part ... the rest still remains! Good orbits!
Mario

David J Taylor

David..thanks for the encouragement !!
Now, this evening afther "concrete"....I'll install the bas only CFG, like from your suggest!
Mi dish is an old 85cm and when I transferred the whole satellite system to the new house, I spent a lot of time on the roof in the hope of getting a good alignment.
Perhaps it is also a bit "dated" LNB ... but for now I will stop here.
I came back to the bas system.
First I finish the house, first I come to live, first I rest and before .... I go back to follow my passions!
For now I have only transferred the computer part ... the rest still remains! Good orbits!
Mario

Fine, Mario - there's a lot of stuff on the Basic Service to enjoy!

Ciao,