Topics

MPE MSG Animator

Emmanuel

Dear all,

I used to receive the MPE (rain) channel with MSG Animator. From what I understand these data are no longer published and replaced by a new version.

Is it possible to have this data again with MGS Animator?

Thanks for your help.

Manu

Ferdinand Valk

Manu,

For the Animator working with the new data, David will have to react.
Alternatively (and depending on the region of focus) you could possibly use
the RSS MPE data that continues to be delivered for the northern hemisphere.
More globally you still might find it useful to use MSG-IODC that overlaps
to quite an extent with the MSG-4 view and that also continues with the
'old' MPE.
Ferdinand

David J Taylor

Dear all,

I used to receive the MPE (rain) channel with MSG Animator. From what I understand these data are no longer published and replaced by a new version.

Is it possible to have this data again with MGS Animator?

Thanks for your help.

Manu
===================================

Manu,

The new h03b data can be found in the Images\SAF\ directory tree. Are you storing those files unzipped or in the .GZ format? I could possibly look at supporting them if there is enough interest.

Thanks,

Graham Woolf

Hi David

Yes please

Kind Regards

Graham

Emmanuel

David

I looked in the directory indicated, I have like file:

S_NWC_CMA_MSG4_MSG-N-VISIR_20190721T000000Z.nc
S_NWC_CT_MSG4_MSG-N-VISIR_20190721T000000Z.nc
S_NWC_CTTH_MSG4_MSG-N-VISIR_20190721T180000Z.nc

I can not find the type files: S-HSAF-h03B...

Should we ask for access:

Manu

David J Taylor

David

I looked in the directory indicated, I have like file:

S_NWC_CMA_MSG4_MSG-N-VISIR_20190721T000000Z.nc
S_NWC_CT_MSG4_MSG-N-VISIR_20190721T000000Z.nc
S_NWC_CTTH_MSG4_MSG-N-VISIR_20190721T180000Z.nc

I can not find the type files: S-HSAF-h03B...

Should we ask for access:

Manu

Yes, to the HSAF products. You may need to select this in the SAF, Hydrology section in your MSG Data Manager.

Emmanuel

David,

I now receive the files in the form:
S-HSAF-h03B_20190723_0945_fdk.grb
In the SAF directory

I would appreciate being able to see the animation again with MSG ANIMATOR

Or with another software?

Thank you David!

Manu

David J Taylor

David,

I now receive the files in the form:
S-HSAF-h03B_20190723_0945_fdk.grb
In the SAF directory

I would appreciate being able to see the animation again with MSG ANIMATOR

Or with another software?

Thank you David!

Manu
==================================

OK, there's an experimental beta for you to try here:

https://www.satsignal.eu/software/beta.htm

1 - As the H-SAF data is not split into channels in my software as the imaging products are, you will need to use the timer refresh rather than automatic. I may be able to improve that in due course.

2 - The files must be unzipped in the MSG Data Manager, to have filenames like you show. Maybe at some future data I'll add .GZ unzipping to the MSG Animator.

3 - I've adopted a very simply approach of saying if the program looks for an MPE file, give it an H-SAF file instead. This shouldn't affect anything else, but....

Good reports welcome!

Emmanuel

Super David !!

Always so effective!
I will test in the next few days but that seems to be correct

Ian Deans

On 23/07/2019 20:26, Emmanuel via Groups.Io wrote:
Super David !!
Always so effective!
I will test in the next few days but that seems to be correct

I always found that the MPE data did not always appear to be accurate and the SAF data now replacing it also does not appear accurate.

For example this afternoon the SAF precipitation data shows a band of rain moving west to east, lying over eastern Scotland at approx. 15.00 UTC. There has not been any rain this afternoon moving west/east. It is not showing on UK weather radar and it has been and is completely dry here in the east of Scotland.

You would do better with Netweather,tv radar.

David J Taylor

I always found that the MPE data did not always appear to be accurate
and the SAF data now replacing it also does not appear accurate.

For example this afternoon the SAF precipitation data shows a band of
rain moving west to east, lying over eastern Scotland at approx. 15.00
UTC. There has not been any rain this afternoon moving west/east. It is
not showing on UK weather radar and it has been and is completely dry
here in the east of Scotland.

You would do better with Netweather,tv radar.

==============================

Ian,

I'm concerned if the error is due to my display of the data - location - I did a brief check and it looked OK but I didn't check in detail. It may also be that there are quality flags in the data which a more complicated program than mine might handle appropriately. I think you can download EUMETSAT's images of the data, so it would be interesting know that also has the unexpected areas.

geojohnt@...

Ian,

Or the weatherandradar app for your mobile?
Appears to agree with netweather.tv at the moment.

In a message dated 24/07/2019 19:21:58 GMT Standard Time, gm8arv@... writes:

You would do better with Netweather,tv radar.

dg1gdw@...

David,

SAF data work fine, but now the MPE RSS data are no more possible to display in MSG Animator.

73,
Detlef
DG1GDW

David J Taylor

David,

SAF data work fine, but now the MPE RSS data are no more possible to display in MSG Animator.

73,
Detlef
DG1GDW
================================

Yes, I've found the fault and can fix it in the next update, likely tomorrow but possibly earlier. In the meantime just re-install the working version.

73,
David GM8ARV

David J Taylor

David,

SAF data work fine, but now the MPE RSS data are no more possible to display in MSG Animator.

73,
Detlef
DG1GDW

Fixed in the beta .307 just uploaded.