Topics

Tellicast bas and hvs-1 change over.

geojohnt@...

All,

I'm getting there.
Just a few loose ends to tie up.

Overnight my bas icon went red - however data kept flowing.
Opening HTML Shell showed Status: ERROR.

Log File

Level: (used for new log entries)   Filter: Show only logs of this level and above

Lvl:Date       Time (UTC)  :Message
ERR:2019-06-24 14:52:22.243:Could not join channel "EUMETSAT Data Channel 1": Missing key 55512.
ERR:2019-06-25 04:01:53.936:Could not join channel "EUMETSAT Data Channel 2": Missing key 13004.
ERR:2019-06-25 04:02:14.076:Could not join channel "EUMETSAT Data Channel 6": Missing key 13019.
ERR:2019-06-25 04:02:27.795:Could not join channel "EUMETSAT Data Channel 2": Missing key 13027.

I cant find any information as to what the Missing Key means.

And, as data is still flowing OK, does it matter?

I know I can just delete error message by pressing reset.

Also, AVRHH Manger is working OK being 'fed from ... \bas\EUMETSAT_Data_Channel_1

However that folder is filling up with 'other data:

NOAA and Metop hirs,EUMETSAT SING+LEV, EUMETSAT kan,amsu,hirs,iasi,mhs,sva,wal,DBNet files.

I've got Delete Channel 1 data ticked in AVHRR Manager File options box.

David J Taylor

[...]

[]

John,

I get those when the signal is becoming weak. If you're using one receiver for BAS and HVS-1 then a weak HVS-1 signal can trigger errors like this in the BAS.

Again, with the other stuff, turn on channels one at a time and see when the unwanted data starts. Don't have a catch-all "*" default channel.

geojohnt@...

David,

Regarding the TC error messages, mmmm.
We had a little rain last night but with my patent plastic lemonade bottle LNB rain shield keeping -1 dB rain drops off the LNB face, my link margin for HVS is always a 'couple of dB's, at least' above threshold.

But yes, just the one SR1 for reception of both streams.
Lets hope we have some heavy rain when I'm at the computer.

Yes, I've learnt the mistake of leaving [channel] name=* in the ini configuration not commented out.

The trouble seems to be that not only the wanted Metop and NOAA 5 channel VIS and IR data are being disseminated via EUMETSAT_Data_Channel_1 but also all the 'unwanted' EARS sounding data which is clogging up the file.

+++++++++++++

In a message dated 25/06/2019 16:25:40 GMT Standard Time, gm8arv@... writes:

[...]

==================

John,

In my main MSG Data Manager instance I have the settings as shown in the attached.

geojohnt@...

David, and All,

Sorry this is turning into a bit of a saga.

I hadn't got 'those' boxes ticked in my 'main' MDM.

I did that earlier, closing and then opening the programme again having made the changes.

I'm not sure it has made any differences in the last 4 hours.

All my unprocessed data is effecting only bas.
The two problem folders are:

bas default - 6.44 GB's of unprocessed files.
bas EUMETSAT Data Channel 1 - 6.01 GB's unprocessed files.

Many of my bas channels are directed their own folder.
However bas default accepts channels:

E1B-TPG-1
E1B-TPL-1
EPS-10
EPS-15

Unprocessed files in bas default:

H-000-GOMS2_4 'file'
thin_MOD021KM 'file.

Now, I know MOD is Modis and I don't have my Modis programme running as I don't use the imaging.

Unprocessed files in bas EUMETSAT Data Channel 1:

AVHRR_HRP_00_MO1_ .... BZ2
AVHRR_HRP_00_MO2_ .... BZ2
avhrr_0 ... noaa19.hrp     BZ2
hirs - metop and noaa - iasi, amsua, ath, iras, mhs, DBNet
WXX-EUMETSAT- ...... SING+LEV

It seems I have missed 2 MDM updates in the last couple of weeks?
Mine is V3.1.12.1301 2019-Apr-22.

It seems that Metop NOAA 'sounding' data is being sent in the same stream as VIS/IR.
No problem in that except it sits unprocessed and/or un-deleted in the default folder.

Regards,
John

++++++++++++++++++

In a message dated 26/06/2019 09:43:02 GMT Standard Time, gm8arv@... writes:

[...]

=======================================

John,

GOMS data should be handled by the MSG Data Manager. The current version is .1304, so you are three minor versions out of date!

https://www.satsignal.eu/software/beta.htm

AVHRR_HRP_00_MO1_ .... BZ2 are likely EARS data - do you have an AVHRR manager running?

If you don't want the sounding data, perhaps you can use the EO Portal to turn it off?

geojohnt@...

David,

I'm so sorry, I think I'm suffering from data overload!

Somehow, my AVHRR Manager 'got switched off' around 14:00 yesterday.
Having switched it back on, it has now processed all yesterday and today's pending data the AVHRR_HRP_00 _MO1 and MO2 BZ2'1 of course.

Yes, it's all the sounding data that filling up the folder.

And yes, I'd better update my MDM.

I've ticked 'Delete Channel 1 data' in AVHRR Manager File options - what does that do?

I've just looked back at my old TC V2.4.4a recv.channel.ini and seen that I had it configured differently - and had no trouble with GB's of unprocessed data files:

EUMETSAT Data Channel 1 went to received.

EPS-10 went to \received\EPS-data

EPS-15 went to \received\AVHRR-GAC-data.

E1B-TPG-1 went to received

E1B-TPL-1 went to received

Compared to the current bas:

Many of my bas channels are directed their own folder.
However bas default accepts channels:

E1B-TPG-1
E1B-TPL-1
EPS-10
EPS-15

Which is causing problems.

I think I'm 'losing it' and need to go and lie down in a darkened room.

In a message dated 26/06/2019 19:04:41 GMT Standard Time, gm8arv@... writes:

[...]

I try to add hints where possible and appropriate. If you hover the mouse over the 'Delete Channel 1 data' it says:

Check to delete non-AVHRR channel-1 received files

so if there no other data you want from Channel-1 check that box. It applies to the non-image files.

Backwards compatibility is likely responsible for most of my configurations. It's on the basis of: "If it works, leave it!". So as the channels haven't changed, keep the arrangement you have and just comply with the new syntax.

Having said that, I would suggest keeping as much as possible away from "default" to minimise the number of files there, and to make any troubleshooting easier. Only the MSG Data Manager attempts to recognise the structure below \received\, all other software can be directed to the appropriate channel/directory, I hope.

geojohnt@...

In a message dated 27/06/2019 08:33:10 GMT Standard Time, gm8arv@... writes:

I try to add hints where possible and appropriate.  If you hover the mouse
over the 'Delete Channel 1 data' it says:

  Check to delete non-AVHRR channel-1 received files

so if there no other data you want from Channel-1 check that box.  It
applies to the non-image files.

David,

Thanks for further advice.

Firstly I've 'itemised' all bas channels now and sent them to specific folders so I can see what services data is coming from what channel - and where it is.
And as you said earlier, good practice not to send everything to 'default.'

I did tick Delete Channel-1 in AVHRR files options but it didn't delete the non imaging files in the EUMETSAT_Data_Channel_1 folder which just keep building up.

However, I was looking at Metop-A Manager setup today and saw all the 'sounding' and non imaging - VIS/IR tabs and, as Metop Manager was already receiving and processing files from different data paths - Metop AVHRR and NOAA GAC, I wondered if it would also take and process all those unwanted files in EUMETSAT Data Channel 1 - OK hold them processed for a day - and sort out my problem.

I was very pleased to see, I can tell you, that this happened
There are still some Metop-b and NOAA 18 hirs files lingering but the script along the bottom of the programme window shows 'sounding files' being processed regularly.

I just need to deal with the EUMETSAT-darmstadt files now.

What a clever programme to deal with three different data paths.

Sorry if you, or anyone else suggested this earlier - I've not been thinking straight recently.

From: geojohnt via Groups.Io
[]
I just need to deal with the EUMETSAT-darmstadt files now.

What a clever programme to deal with three different data paths.

Sorry if you, or anyone else suggested this earlier - I've not been thinking straight recently.

Good to hear that you are making progress, John. Yes, it can be a lot to take in all at once.

I don't know whether making gradual updates and getting a resulting configuration far removed from current EUMETSAT standards, or simply starting from scratch each time is the better approach. I tend to end up with both methods - installing from scratch on a non-working test PC to get the new files and study the channel structure (perhaps adapting my software or perhaps not), then editing the existing installations with any important changes (TelliCast and the main .INI file, buffer) to check they continue to work.