Topics

HD AWOL?

geojohnt@...

Dear All,

Er, I appear to have lost my E:\ data drive overnight.

I run 24/7 but when I switched the monitors on at 08:00 this morning all
running programmes [MDM  - 0 degrees, IODC, RSS, AVHRR, Animator,
Metop A, Metop B] had stopped running at 02:15 - 02:20.

TC was still showing a pink T.
And SR1 Console was still showing signal.

I closed all programmes and rebooted the computer and found all MSG
programme desktop icons 'white' - except HRPT Reader(?), RAMDISK
and those that reside on C:\.

'This PC' shows no E:\ Data (HD) drive - as in attached screen shot.

Mmmmm?

Regards,
John Tellick.

geojohnt@...

Dear All,

Er, I appear to have lost my E:\ data drive overnight.

I run 24/7 but when I switched the monitors on at 08:00 this morning all
running programmes [MDM  - 0 degrees, IODC, RSS, AVHRR, Animator,
Metop A, Metop B] had stopped running at 02:15 - 02:20.

TC was still showing a pink T.
And SR1 Console was still showing signal.

I closed all programmes and rebooted the computer and found all MSG
programme desktop icons 'white' - except HRPT Reader(?), RAMDISK
and those that reside on C:\.

'This PC' shows no E:\ Data (HD) drive - as in attached screen shot.

Mmmmm?

Regards,
John Tellick.

David J Taylor

Dear All,

Er, I appear to have lost my E:\ data drive overnight.

I run 24/7 but when I switched the monitors on at 08:00 this morning all
running programmes [MDM - 0 degrees, IODC, RSS, AVHRR, Animator,
Metop A, Metop B] had stopped running at 02:15 - 02:20.

TC was still showing a pink T.
And SR1 Console was still showing signal.

I closed all programmes and rebooted the computer and found all MSG
programme desktop icons 'white' - except HRPT Reader(?), RAMDISK
and those that reside on C:\.

'This PC' shows no E:\ Data (HD) drive - as in attached screen shot.

Mmmmm?

Regards,
John Tellick.
=====================================

John,

It seems that your HRPT Reader was installed on C: - that's fine.

You might be able to get into the BIOS and see whether the HDD (E:) is listed. Perhaps a connector has fallen out? Worth opening the box to check.

I recently had a data disk fail which had been taking much of the HVS-1 and HVS-2 feeds and just saving the data - no processing. Since then I been cutting back on the data saved as far as possible on all PCs.

There's one utility you might try:

https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/

which can show the basic health of an SSD or HDD.

Good luck!

Twitter:@gm8arv

geojohnt@...

David,

Thanks for your comments.

>You might be able to get into the BIOS and see whether the HDD (E:) is
>listed.

Oh no, I thought.
Get into the bios - how do I do that?
And after the disaster I had last February with a failed EUMETCast computer - probably due to my 'fiddling,' and the large bill I had to fix the problem - corrupted Windows 10, and then having to reload and configure many old programmes which had 'disappeared' - I've decided, no more fiddling.

However I did open Device Manager and the E:\ HD was not shown.
I took the side off the computer which allowed a (very) long overdue 'hoover' and tried the connections - all appeared OK.
Rebooted - same problem.

I went into my Bullguard Antivirus/security - don't ask me why - which I know you hate, which told me I had several 'vulnerabilities.'
One of these was 'urgent Windows updates' pending.
I thought twice about downloading and installing these as the computer 'wasn't working.'

However, I went ahead and they were all downloaded and installed and 'it' told me to reboot which I did.

Surprise, surprise, Desktop icons were fully loaded, Tellicast ran automatically and E:\ was back.
All MSG programmes running as normal!

?????!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

In a message dated 26/03/2019 11:45:49 GMT Standard Time, gm8arv@... writes:

[...]

Well, the BIOS should be a read-only environment unless you press Save rather than Exit or Cancel, but I take your point.

I do often hear of folk who complain that X< Y or Z doesn't work after a Windows Update (you should check after the second Tuesday of the month), but you are one of the very few persons who have found that something started working after a Windows update!

I'd still be inclined to check that HDD with CrystalDiskInfo and see whether it's reported as Healthy or not. It's not necessarily something to be concerned about if there's an issue, but watch out for an increasing value of Reallocated Sector Count. That's when a bit of the disk has gone bad but the content has been moved elsewhere. I'd run a check with a current version of MalwareBytes as well - just in case.

All being well, it's just a glitch, but...replacement HDs and cloning software aren't that expensive.

Twitter:@gm8arv

geojohnt@...

David,

Thanks for further thoughts.

I had a look at CrystalDiskInfo on 'this other' computer and there appeared to be 3 versions and multiple download option blue tabs on all three.
????

>you are one of the very few persons who have found that something started working after a Windows update!
Yes, it's uncanny, isn't it?!
Nobody was more surprised than me.

>All being well, it's just a glitch, but...replacement HDs and cloning
>software aren't that expensive.

I was thinking that this might have been the only way forward - however, if the 'old' HDD was dead, how do you clone?
Or, is there a magic way to resurrect it?

Back in the good old days of EUMETCast DVB-S from Eurobird 9, [60 - 85 cm dish, those were the days?] my computer HDD died at one of our GEO Symposium's at the NSC.
Arne said he would have a look at it and I sent it to him.
Magically, he got it going again so I could install it into the computer - now with a new HDD - and transfer the data over.